Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocker Arm Oil Control Valve - see post 145 for info

83K views 225 replies 54 participants last post by  Impala2015 
#1 ·
2014 Malibu 2.5L
Has anyone had any luck finding part #12633613 Valve Rocker Arm Oil Control? I've called several local dealers and a few out of state (I'm in SE Michigan). Can't find Dorman equivalent anywhere either. Everywhere states national back order or discontinued. Summit will let you order but gives an est ship date (which I've read keeps getting pushed back). Just curious if anyone has had luck receiving a backordered part or found this part elsewhere. I have the unfortunate luck of now needing this part, seemingly along with a million other Malibu's:cry:

#112 ·
Those are very much cookie cutter responses. Running rich isn't going to "damage" the catalytic converter, it just increases the rate of wear, and "Sooner or later the internal components of your engine will get damaged" is just pointing out the same thing.

These are vague statements to encourage you to maintain your car with a sense of urgency. Keep an eye out for the part to come in stock and replace it when you can.

Reactions: SilverSport
#113 ·
We have been looking for this part for our Malibu since September 12, 2019. GM is rude and won't ever call back. They admit the part is back in the engineering stage. IF you find one it's more than triple the price. So the car has been sitting for 6 months while I'm trapped at home with several medical issues. This is just not right and I will never own anything made by GM again. The AMERICAN PEOPLE bailed this company out, this is the thanks we get. A giant middle finger wave as they tell you it's not their problem, it's out of warranty.:mad:

#114 ·
I believe we all agree things like this shouldn't happen on a 5-7 year old car. Weeks of shortage, maybe, but months... No. GM should have stock and if a redesign is needed (or even occurring and not an excuse) there should be enough of the old stock to fill the gap. Bummer you missed out when it was in stock a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, you have to check everywhere daily as those in the most need are continually checking and get it first. Good luck and I hope you get it soon!

#116 ·
@surprisedbyjoy No idea. I have no idea if the part is even being redesigned. This is rumor and speculation spreading from various parts counters and service advisors and may be true but it also might be a guess. If I needed the part I would get any OE or equivalent part. All parts aren't defective or there would be thousands of posts here, not dozens.

#117 ·
I contacted my state's Auto Inspection Dept. (Massachusetts) and spoke to a manager of a Motorist Assistance Center here in a neighboring city. He said that the state agency has gotten notice directly from GM that the part is being redesigned and is not available. So the state of Massachusetts is giving out a one year "waiver" that will allow the car to be driven on the road until the part does become available. (MA motorists should contact their nearest Motorist Assistance Center.) I would imagine that other states also received notice from GM and would extend the offer of an inspection waiver to those affected cars. It still doesn't solve the problem of my car running so poorly and consuming a lot of gas. My dealer said they expect the part to be available in August, but who knows if that is accurate or not....

#118 ·
Anyone else sign up for availability alerts on Rock Auto and get a cryptic response yesterday?

"Thank you for your interest in purchasing parts from RockAuto. You asked to be notified about the following part:

Engine : Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid / Actuator
GENERAL MOTORS Part # 12633613

We are sorry to tell you that this part is still out of stock. However, we may have a suitable alternate for you. Please visit the RockAuto catalog under your year, make, model, and engine size to view available parts.

If you are still interested in receiving notifications on this part, please click on the below link and sign up for an 'Availability Alert'."

It seemed to hint that an "alternative part" might be in stock, i.e. the Dorman alternative. When I looked, I didn't see any in stock. Just oddly worded?

#119 ·
No that's how they word it if your looking for a specific brand of the part and other brands are available. I signed up for a alert last week. I don't need it now I'm just being pro active.

#120 ·
Just asking - While waiting an undetermined amount of time for the part to become available, is everyone on this forum continuing to drive their car "normally", as many miles as usual, even if the car is driving poorly? Also wondering how many people who put in the Dorman part are still having trouble down the road a bit - engine light coming back on after being driven a number of miles?

#123 ·
Hello,

I've read an old forum posting about this issue, but it looked like it was closed out.

Anyone know of any updates on this part as far as if GM is going to replace it since they discontinued it or if/when dorman is going to produce more of it? The only place this part can be found is apparently on E-Bay and its selling anywhere from 375 to as high as $600 for the part. No one else has it. I've checked every parts store I can think of, called around dealerships, junk yards, etc. It's like it just disappeared off the face off the earth and only people on ebay somehow have these parts brand new that they are upselling like crazy.

Any information on this part would be greatly helpful. We might just suck it up and buy the ebay one if we can't find a solution, we need our car back, but I'm hoping this lack of supply will change soon.

Thanks!

#124 ·
Hello,

I've read an old forum posting about this issue, but it looked like it was closed out.

Anyone know of any updates on this part as far as if GM is going to replace it since they discontinued it or if/when dorman is going to produce more of it? The only place this part can be found is apparently on E-Bay and its selling anywhere from 375 to as high as $600 for the part. No one else has it. I've checked every parts store I can think of, called around dealerships, junk yards, etc. It's like it just disappeared off the face off the earth and only people on ebay somehow have these parts brand new that they are upselling like crazy.

Any information on this part would be greatly helpful. We might just suck it up and buy the ebay one if we can't find a solution, we need our car back, but I'm hoping this lack of supply will change soon.

Thanks!
My dealer told me that they expect the part sometime around August! Many more months to go, it looks like.... I read on another forum (an online GM petition website) that once this part malfunctions, it is possible that metal shavings from the defective part can get into the engine compartment and necessitate an engine compartment cleaning that can cost $1500! This is very worrisome since many of us have been told it's fine to keep driving the car with this part malfunctioning. I've also read that the Dorman part doesn't always solve the problem and the engine light sometimes returns after a while, maybe because of this issue of metal shavings or maybe something else - who knows? I do know from the MA Motor Vehicle Inspection Agency (who was notified by GM) that the part is definitely being redesigned, so it makes sense that the Dorman part (based on the original design) may have the same problem as the original GM part.

#125 ·
Check your local O’Reilly auto parts. The one near me had one in stock and when I called, verified they actually had the part. I looked around and found a couple other stores that showed one in stock.

My guess is that Dorman is doing a “round robin” delivery of parts when they make them, shipping some to Summit, some to AutoZone, some to O’Reilly, etc. We’ll just have to keep our eyes open for where they pop up next.

#126 · (Edited)
I stopped at my dealer today since they said weeks ago they had ordered 9 aftermarket oil control valves for cars they had lined up. GM had approved using aftermarket with customer approval.

Parts department guys acknowledged they had gotten 2 and said I had to see the service writers. They take care of any scheduling. I had gotten NO call from parts that the valves were in or that my car could be getting one. They have several on the lot that need valves that were traded in.

I am getting the aftermarket put in tomorrow along with a new intake manifold and whatever else is needed.
Hope it works. Then in the fall, I'll pay to have the improved part put on.

We were getting ready to ask dealer for loaner to take on trip or going to rent a car for a trip to TN. Don't want to drive the Malibu even though it runs nicely. The gasoline mileage is somewhat lower.

#127 ·
Greetings from Toronto. I have been watching this board for months waiting on this part for my 2014 Malibu. After seeing imidazol97s post I called my dealer and they had 5 in stock. Its the dorman part not the GM part. I ran over and picked one up to take to my mechanic. When I picked up the part I asked how much longer on the gm part and he told me they were still on backorder and then another guy yelled not anymore. They got a bulletin two weeks ago saying the part was no longer on order and dealers were to rely on aftermarket parts or local parts whatever that means. I just got the car back today and they had to replace the cam cover as others said. It cost CAD 770 all said and done. A lot of money but car runs great again at only 175000 km.

#128 ·
I wonder if the emissions warranty or drivetrain warranty will cover this part for some folks.
I'd keep any receipts, because I'd expect a major recall before long on this. The original sheet someone posted from NHSTA and GM showed the original part and one with pieces that had broken loose in the failure. It also mentions the emissions warranty somewhere on that sheet.

Again, I'd keep any receipts for repayment in the end of this. A major failure.

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw a late 2017 date on the info that this failure had started to happen. 2.5 years ago? If I'd heard of it earlier, I would have replaced the original with a Dorman or Gm part that was new to avoid a failure.

#129 ·
I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu everyone with this problem should call Chevy customer care or email them their number is on line. Weather what the miles are or if you bought it new or used this is terrible care from a car company! Would you purchase another one? Motor harm? No answers? Safety ?

#134 ·
I don't think what the GM dealer told Julie Williams is correct. GM has authorized using the Dorman replacement parts. GM discontinued the GM version of that part.

I don't think there's anything about releasing a patent on this part for Dorman to be making the previous part. I suspect Dorman is still having them made and importing them. I do not know if GM is distributing them or if other parts retailers are supplying GM dealers with some of the replacements for use like the one put on my car.

I recall I was told that GM had a redesigned part in the fall. But it needed to be redesigned again when they tested it. So that meant the process started all over again to design, manufacture test parts, and test. I assume GM will not rush into a replacement design that doesn't have pieces that can move in the system on failure. That would be especially true as long as there's a supply of old design parts. People would complain about GM's redesign part just as we see the whining about the original part's having failed. It's not like other vehicle manufacturers haven't had parts not up to snuff.

Some posters have said owners bought another GM vehicle with extra help in discounts from the dealers. I know that my store had vehicles which they had taken in because they put the owners into other vehicles, new or used, I don't know. But the owners had to have transportation and made that choice.

My vehicle was driveable. Some variance in the programming but the computer adapted partially. My car had a piece or more of the bad part in the oil passages. I suspect how the pieces stuck in the oil passages determined how much the driveability was affected. I was lucky. But I was going to rent a car for a planned trip to Smokey Mountains.

I lucked out on replacement with a Dorman by GM, maybe because I could stop in at my local store every couple weeks and because I guess I'm a good customer at the service department.

Otherwise, I wouldn't want a GM voucher. They've discontinued sedans. They don't want me as a customer. The Malibu is dead because it will be sold for a few more years without any innovations or improvements with fewer options.

#135 ·
No matter where you are in this debacle, owners are left holding the bag, and as @campb292 mentioned, even future owners of these compromised vehicles.

#136 ·
Everyone needs to call GM and have a case started here’s the number +1 (866) 790-5600. They will assign a case manager. They will tell you they are escalating your case and they might even say they will call you every other day. I’ve had a case number for about 2 1/2 months now and am still getting the run around. Brandon was my manager then I got “moved up” to Nancy. Nancy promised to send me a customer appreciation voucher for $2500 toward s new GM product and then she seems to have fallen off the earth. But I’m not giving up. It’s simply not right what GM has done to loyal customers. My park went bad with two years still to pay on the car. I post on their Facebook pages (GM) and (Chevrolet). They don’t like that and private message me constantly telling me my case manager will call. That usually doesn’t happen. So until they finally send me a voucher I will keep up my persistence in reporting the problem every chance I get.

#137 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gm emailed me a voucher yesterday for $2500 towards buying a new GM car. It’s good for one year

I have a 2014 Chevy Malibu everyone with this problem should call Chevy customer care or email them their number is on line. Weather what the miles are or if you bought it new or used this is terrible care from a car company! Would you purchase another one? Motor harm? No answers? Safety ?
because I griped and posted and made phone calls
Gm emailed me a voucher yesterday for $2500 towards buying a new GM car. It’s good for one year.

CMF Edit: language edited

I just got my car back from the dealer, check engine light still on. I was told the part is no longer being made by GM and they haven’t released the Patents to after market suppliers. I am on a year long waiting list! Going to trade my car in now.
There is another part made by the standard motor company VVT401 that fits. There are supposed to be some coming to Summit Racing Company any time. I have some backordered.

#139 ·
I have a 2014 2.5 Malibu and have been watching this for weeks. After some rough idle and odds sounds for a few days my car had the light come on. I took it in and they diagnosed this part as failed. However, they had no part. I have a couple other cars so shifted to driving those while waiting. FINALLY after a nearly month long wait my chevy dealer got in a box of 12 and called me. I had the part installed today for 350. After driving about an hour everything is fine. Another guy was sitting right by me in the waiting area and had a 2015 in getting the same part he had been waiting 6 weeks! I'm glad they finally fixed this part shortage.

#143 ·
I am still waiting on the part. I have ordered 3 times and they all have been canceled. I ordered through summit for the vvt401 part and they emailed me and said the supplier will not make them anymore. I live in Georgia and I have ordered and called my dealer ship and there is still no luck.

#144 ·
I was told by the GM service representative, Star, that they were working on getting a part made, and she called me every other day until a few weeks ago when I was told to refer back to the dealership, Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet Ft. Worth, Tx. The dealership says there is no part being made, and they will not take the car as a trade in. GM offered nothing but the 'ol run a round, and left us with a 2015 model vehicle that is worthless and we are still making payments
GM never offered us any discounts are money towards the purchase of a new vehicle, and even if they did, I wouldn't be able to use the vehicle for a trade in or even resale back to the dealership, as they say it's defective and WILL NOT take it as long as this part is out. My wife does social media, facebook, so I will try and persuade her to pester them until they act, until then if anyone can help, let me know.

I've been getting the run around on this part from GM and the dealership, who will not take the car back for trade in until this issue, which so far, has no replacement part to correct the problem, and was told that they have no ideal if a part will ever be made. I was told that we need to start a campaign to force the dealerships and GM to get this part made ASAP, before we are all stuck with a 2015 piece of crap, and I'm still paying on the car. If anyone knows how to get a campaign started, please let me know.

#145 · (Edited)
This part had low/rare availability between November 2019-March 2020. Most owners in need have now been able to obtain it. If still looking, there is a list below of places other members obtained the part. The best place to obtain seems to be a dealer now. Be sure you have received proper diagnosis - other minor problems (such as loose intake manifold bolts) can cause similar symptoms leading to this part being suspected. Also be careful to inspect the failed valve and if necessary replace the camshaft cover as indicated by the bulletin (click here).

There is also now a special coverage adjustment program for this part replacement and/or reimbursement. Here is a copy of the full program release. It covers about 180,000 cars so should cover most 2014 owners for 120,000 miles/10 years whichever comes first: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10177367-9999.pdf

Here is a list of those that successfully obtained and installed the GM part (19419980/12633613) or aftermarket Dorman part (916-806) in the last couple months and where they obtained it:

Fraggler2 got it from rockauto in late-January
Chelsea got it from eBay late-January
Brittanyleanne410 got it from rockauto late-January
michiganmadman got it rockauto late-January
idp123456 got it from summit racing in early-February
jjc got it from rockauto early-February
imidazol97 got it from a GM dealer in early-March
Charles816 got it from rockauto in March
Don Peeooh got it from the dealer in the last month
SirJavier got it from a GM dealer in early-March
Jules got it (source unknown) in mid-March
beck75 got it from a GM dealer in mid-March
14MaliCA got it from a GM dealer early May
Nomoremalibu got it from a GM dealer in early May
Dthompson1985 got it from a GM dealer in mid-May
RD_3 got it from a GM dealer in late-May
kaus412 got it from a GM dealer in late-May
jmonjaraz got it from a GM dealer early-June
tk1992 got it from gmpartsonline in June
kfd82 got it from gmpartsonline in June
Quela02 got it from gmpartsonline in June

Reactions: cp-the-nerd
#146 ·
Hello everyone with P0171 or P0160 codes!!!
This may solve your problems if you haven't tried it! It may save you time, money, and your sanity!!!
For clarification, I went through the mill for over 8 months with my 2014 Malibu regarding the P0171 code that would not go away (I have an earlier post on here regarding my woes as New York State requires vehicle inspections). Back in July 2019 (before the strike) per my mechanic's suggestion I ordered new intake and outtake valves and my son replaced them, which only temporarily cleared the P0171, then it came back on in addition to the P0160 code. and due to the strike, I couldn't get the next part my mechanic said I needed to try (VVT solenoid). Couldn't get the part even from the Chevy dealer, so I ordered the Dorman Engine Variable Timing Solenoid (Part #916-806) from Summit Racing which I had already read on this forum would be backordered but what choice did I have? FINALLY, I was able to get the part in February of this year (months after inspection expired...thank God I didn't get a ticket, which would have been very expensive!), but after its installation it STILL threw the P0171 code. Aarrgghh.
MY SALVATION: My mechanic found a technical service bulletin online that the engine/manifold that Chevy was using at that time (2014 and thereabouts) were known to come loose from each other as bolts would loosen over time, allowing excess air intake. So as a last resort, he took apart the back part of the engine to check and EUREKA!!! EVERY BOLT holding the manifold to the engine was loose!!! He tightened them all...I think there are 4 on the top and then 2 can be reached underneath the car and it WORKED! You can't just tighten the ones you can reach easily...check all of them or it will be unevenly tightened and air will still get in. Since then, after we cleared the codes, no more check engine light and my car finally passed inspection!!! And oh yeah, I probably didn't even need to spend $200 on the parts that I did (we didn't even know if they needed replacing...just following mechanic's recommendations), in addition to undergoing all that wasted time and anxiety over possibly getting stopped for an expired inspection! I haven't checked over this whole site to see if this fix is already on here, but I wanted to let everyone know and maybe save other people some headaches, a lot of money on parts, or having to replace an otherwise problem-free vehicle! Good luck and Godspeed, everyone!!!

#149 ·
Hello everyone with P0171 or P0160 codes!!!
This may solve your problems if you haven't tried it! It may save you time, money, and your sanity!!!
For clarification, I went through the mill for over 8 months with my 2014 Malibu regarding the P0171 code that would not go away (I have an earlier post on here regarding my woes as New York State requires vehicle inspections). Back in July 2019 (before the strike) per my mechanic's suggestion I ordered new intake and outtake valves and my son replaced them, which only temporarily cleared the P0171, then it came back on in addition to the P0160 code. and due to the strike, I couldn't get the next part my mechanic said I needed to try (VVT solenoid). Couldn't get the part even from the Chevy dealer, so I ordered the Dorman Engine Variable Timing Solenoid (Part #916-806) from Summit Racing which I had already read on this forum would be backordered but what choice did I have? FINALLY, I was able to get the part in February of this year (months after inspection expired...thank God I didn't get a ticket, which would have been very expensive!), but after its installation it STILL threw the P0171 code. Aarrgghh.
MY SALVATION: My mechanic found a technical service bulletin online that the engine/manifold that Chevy was using at that time (2014 and thereabouts) were known to come loose from each other as bolts would loosen over time, allowing excess air intake. So as a last resort, he took apart the back part of the engine to check and EUREKA!!! EVERY BOLT holding the manifold to the engine was loose!!! He tightened them all...I think there are 4 on the top and then 2 can be reached underneath the car and it WORKED! You can't just tighten the ones you can reach easily...check all of them or it will be unevenly tightened and air will still get in. Since then, after we cleared the codes, no more check engine light and my car finally passed inspection!!! And oh yeah, I probably didn't even need to spend $200 on the parts that I did (we didn't even know if they needed replacing...just following mechanic's recommendations), in addition to undergoing all that wasted time and anxiety over possibly getting stopped for an expired inspection! I haven't checked over this whole site to see if this fix is already on here, but I wanted to let everyone know and maybe save other people some headaches, a lot of money on parts, or having to replace an otherwise problem-free vehicle! Good luck and Godspeed, everyone!!!
Thanks for that info. I checked mine today. The far right was backed off enough that I could spin it with just an extension, so zero clamp load. The others weren't quite as bad, but were all loose. The one underneath was the best of the bunch but nowhere near tight enough.

I think we've found the "every 50,000 to 100,000 mile service" on these engines: Replace the intake oil control valve (at least until GM comes out with one that lasts) and then tighten your intake bolts.

#148 ·
Spec is 12 Nm or 106 inch pounds. That's like finger tight in my book. No wonder they loosen up. Looks like I better check mine. Something to do while we stay home.

Reactions: cp-the-nerd
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.