Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
would you happen to have part numbers for both of the sensors you're referring to? i'm having a lot of difficulty trying to figure it out via google but so far i've changed the intake solenoid valve, oil control valve and an oil pressure sensor so im not sure if its one of those parts already or something different that you're referring to

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I did get the Dorman part, have not put it in the car yet. Hopefully this weekend. I'll post the result when it's done.
Just a quick update. Part was put in over the weekend. No broken pieces or defects were seen on the old part. Had to manually clear error code. Have driven at least 40 miles and so far so good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That sounds plausible to me. From what I can find, that code is set when the computer tries to flip the switch to high lift and the system doesn't follow. The tapping could be the parts that were thrown out or the system itself engaging and disengaging in a way it's not supposed to. Have you replaced the solenoid in yours? If so, did you have a look at it or is it still around?

As mine had an electrical fault, rather than a performance one, it never tried to run high lift.
I haven't had a chance to put eyes on the oil control valve yet, but I might have an opportunity tomorrow or Sunday. I've already made the assumption that the Oil Control Valve is at fault, so I've ordered the part which will hopefully get here by Friday. Replacing the part seems relatively simple, but if replacing the camshaft cover is required because of the broken of pieces, that's probably a little beyond me. I haven't been able to find a video online how to do that.

My big question right now is, assuming pieces of the oil control valve have broken off, is am I potentially damaging (or already have damaged) the engine if I continue to drive for the next few days before the part comes in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't had a chance to put eyes on the oil control valve yet, but I might have an opportunity tomorrow or Sunday. I've already made the assumption that the Oil Control Valve is at fault, so I've ordered the part which will hopefully get here by Friday. Replacing the part seems relatively simple, but if replacing the camshaft cover is required because of the broken of pieces, that's probably a little beyond me. I haven't been able to find a video online how to do that.

My big question right now is, assuming pieces of the oil control valve have broken off, is am I potentially damaging (or already have damaged) the engine if I continue to drive for the next few days before the part comes in?
I talked to several experienced mechanics and they advised me to not drive a lot with the car in this condition - they said I risk damaging the catalytic converter. Other websites also mentioned damaging other parts, even (though not likely) the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just hope that police are being understanding as to why inspections are overdue. I haven't been stopped yet!
UPDATE: Summit Racing came through with the Dorman 916-806. The delivery date kept getting pushed later, but instead of March 1st they shipped out last week and I got it on Monday! I can't have it installed until this weekend so we'll see. I've been reading about the old part cover breaking off so we'll see. Thank you for the info and I'll update afterwards whether it fixes the problem or not (please, please don't let the light come back on!)
By the way, I have been stopped only once (so far) for not having my NYS inspection done timely, and after I explained to the trooper that I always get mine done on time, but showed him the paperwork that the part I need has been on backorder for months, and he was nice and didn't give me a ticket! Which was awesome because it can cost about $140 around here when the inspection is way overdue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Malibu 2.5L
Has anyone had any luck finding part #12633613 Valve Rocker Arm Oil Control? I've called several local dealers and a few out of state (I'm in SE Michigan). Can't find Dorman equivalent anywhere either. Everywhere states national back order or discontinued. Summit will let you order but gives an est ship date (which I've read keeps getting pushed back). Just curious if anyone has had luck receiving a backordered part or found this part elsewhere. I have the unfortunate luck of now needing this part, seemingly along with a million other Malibu's:cry:
I had the same issue finding this part, I started looking in September, I checked every junkyard I was close to, even when traveling for work to no avail. I spoke with a GM rep that I deal with at my job and he said it was something to do with the strike-did not make sense to me. MY luck was Rock Auto with the Dorman part, go on their website and pull up 916-806, click on notify me when it becomes available. I did this in November and 2 weeks ago I got an email from them saying it was available, O went the their site and ordered it within 20 minutes of the email and received the part the following day. The car is up and running great now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE: Summit Racing came through with the Dorman 916-806. The delivery date kept getting pushed later, but instead of March 1st they shipped out last week and I got it on Monday! I can't have it installed until this weekend so we'll see. I've been reading about the old part cover breaking off so we'll see. Thank you for the info and I'll update afterwards whether it fixes the problem or not (please, please don't let the light come back on!)
By the way, I have been stopped only once (so far) for not having my NYS inspection done timely, and after I explained to the trooper that I always get mine done on time, but showed him the paperwork that the part I need has been on backorder for months, and he was nice and didn't give me a ticket! Which was awesome because it can cost about $140 around here when the inspection is way overdue.
just saw that you got the part, its easy to put in, check out youtube, it took me 20 minutes to put it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Malibu 2.5L
Has anyone had any luck finding part #12633613 Valve Rocker Arm Oil Control? I've called several local dealers and a few out of state (I'm in SE Michigan). Can't find Dorman equivalent anywhere either. Everywhere states national back order or discontinued. Summit will let you order but gives an est ship date (which I've read keeps getting pushed back). Just curious if anyone has had luck receiving a backordered part or found this part elsewhere. I have the unfortunate luck of now needing this part, seemingly along with a million other Malibu's:cry:
I’ve been searching for this piece also. It’s ridiculous how this piece is unavailable pretty much everywhere. I placed an order for this piece 916-086 at summit racing on 12/22/2019 and received 2 emails both pushing the order back to March. However, they emailed again in on Saturday 2/1 saying the order was shipped and received my order Tuesday 2/4/20. Maybe you should try ordering at summit if you haven’t already or haven’t found it anywhere else. Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I’ve been searching for this piece also. It’s ridiculous how this piece is unavailable pretty much everywhere. I placed an order for this piece 916-086 at summit racing on 12/22/2019 and received 2 emails both pushing the order back to March. However, they emailed again in on Saturday 2/1 saying the order was shipped and received my order Tuesday 2/4/20. Maybe you should try ordering at summit if you haven’t already or haven’t found it anywhere else. Good luck
I was able to get one from Rock Auto a few weeks ago. So far so good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
would you happen to have part numbers for both of the sensors you're referring to? i'm having a lot of difficulty trying to figure it out via google but so far i've changed the intake solenoid valve, oil control valve and an oil pressure sensor so im not sure if its one of those parts already or something different that you're referring to
I believe the sensor on the cam cover is PN: 12661808
It also interchanges with 12630433, 12659289

·
Registered
14 Posts

How did yours turn out? Mine has quite a few miles on it now and is working fine with the Dorman part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The part is Dorman 916-806. It is pretty much only available on EBay now. It was available a couple weeks ago in stores and online. I contacted Dorman and they told me it won’t be available until June10..

I had the same issue finding this part, I started looking in September, I checked every junkyard I was close to, even when traveling for work to no avail. I spoke with a GM rep that I deal with at my job and he said it was something to do with the strike-did not make sense to me. MY luck was Rock Auto with the Dorman part, go on their website and pull up 916-806, click on notify me when it becomes available. I did this in November and 2 weeks ago I got an email from them saying it was available, O went the their site and ordered it within 20 minutes of the email and received the part the following day. The car is up and running great now.

Good luck!
Unfortunately it’s out of stock again everywhere. It’s for sale on EBay.

I got the Dorman part from Rock Auto and had my mechanic put it in over the weekend, i drove about 30 miles before my check engine light came back on so im not sure what to do at this point.
That sucks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anybody consulted a mechanic (either a Chevy mechanic or non-Chevy mechanic) regarding the risk to the car if it continues to be driven while not being fixed? I know many of us are told it is "safe" to drive, but from what I've learned it is NOT good for the car's health to be driven in this condition if there are signs that all is not well - such as excessive fuel consumption, hesitating and riding "rough", which I've been told are signs of "misfiring". Several mechanics (including two mechanics online at JustAnswer) told me that this causes raw gas to enter the catalytic converter and damage it over time. It could even potentially damage the engine eventually. Driving a car in this condition for many more months seems very risky for the car, and yet what alternative do we have? It seems that the Dorman part is not even solving the problem for some people who are lucky enough to obtain it in the first place. Also, it seems somewhat unwise to put the Dorman part in to replace the faulty GM valve since GM is redesigning the valve and the Dorman valve is based on the original faulty design. It may make sense to install the Dorman part for a temporary fix just to get the car on the road (and GM should pay for this if the car was under warranty) but GM should eventually ALSO agree to install (at no charge if the car was under warranty) the new redesigned valve whenever it is released, which may not be for many more months, I'm afraid... Is anyone continuing to drive their car for many miles month after month even with signs that the car isn't running properly? Do we really want to risk damaging the catalytic converter or other systems?

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,308 Posts
It seems that the Dorman part is not even solving the problem for some people who are lucky enough to obtain it in the first place
Hard to say; some replace the part but don't follow the entire procedure to replace the camshaft cover as well. Cutting corners is cheaper and quicker but sometimes you just bang into the curb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hard to say; some replace the part but don't follow the entire procedure to replace the camshaft cover as well. Cutting corners is cheaper and quicker but sometimes you just bang into the curb.
I heard from a reliable source that the part is definitely being redesigned so in that case it almost doesn't make sense to put in the Dorman part with the original faulty design. Does anyone know how expensive a camshaft cover is and the labor involved to install it? My car's diagnosis when it was under warranty just stated it need the oil control valve but from what you say Chevrolet will also replace the camshaft cover when both the valve is available. (So you think the camshaft cover will also have to be redesigned?). Wonder how much the camshaft cover costs from Dorman......

·
Registered
172 Posts
Should the cost of this repair be covered under the powertrain warranty? It's definitely a part of the engine's operation to have the variable valve timing operate correctly and likely a part of the emissions certification/warranty as well?

My dealer acted like it's not covered by anything after 5 years and 40K miles. But were surprised when I pointed out the extended warranty on this car.

It seems that GM hid this developing problem. I saw the original info sheet from late 2017 about the part having pieces come loose and go into the valve cover/camshaft cover mandating replacing that as well.

The long period of time since putting out an info sheet on the problem, starts to sound like the ignition switch problem in the Cobalt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I heard from a reliable source that the part is definitely being redesigned so in that case it almost doesn't make sense to put in the Dorman part with the original faulty design. Does anyone know how expensive a camshaft cover is and the labor involved to install it? My car's diagnosis when it was under warranty just stated it need the oil control valve but from what you say Chevrolet will also replace the camshaft cover when both the valve is available. (So you think the camshaft cover will also have to be redesigned?). Wonder how much the camshaft cover costs from Dorman......
A redesign of the valve will probably not result in a redesign of the cover, if GM can help it at all. It's a nightmare when you have service parts that aren't compatible with existing designs, you have to stock a bunch of parts or retrofit every car that comes in. Hopefully they use a better retaining method for the check balls and their associated hardware, like...I don't know, THREADS.

The cam cover is, as far as I know, only available from GM. It's a massive pile of aluminum. I think the shipping weight for mine was 17 pounds. It felt every bit of that as I installed it.
I shopped around a bit and was able to find it for $400 and some change. So...as expensive as the solenoids are getting, the penalty for it coming apart is that you have to buy a $400 cam cover. It took me about an hour and a half to install. The vacuum pump has to come off as well as the intake VVT solenoid (NOT the lift solenoid) to get a bolt underneath it. I bought the assembly that they reference in the TSB in this thread, you could probably save some money by ordering just the cover, but I wanted all fresh fasteners and such.

Replacing only the solenoid takes about 20 minutes.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts