Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2014 2.5 Malibu and have been watching this for weeks. After some rough idle and odds sounds for a few days my car had the light come on. I took it in and they diagnosed this part as failed. However, they had no part. I have a couple other cars so shifted to driving those while waiting. FINALLY after a nearly month long wait my chevy dealer got in a box of 12 and called me. I had the part installed today for 350. After driving about an hour everything is fine. Another guy was sitting right by me in the waiting area and had a 2015 in getting the same part he had been waiting 6 weeks! I'm glad they finally fixed this part shortage.
Did you get the actual GM part or the Dorman part? I was told the original part was being redesigned and wouldn't be available till August! I have been waiting since October!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you get the actual GM part or the Dorman part? I was told the original part was being redesigned and wouldn't be available till August! I have been waiting since October!
I'm not sure but I think its a gm part. The part number on the work invoice is 12691278. I think the dorman part is 916 something whatever its listed here somewhere. I don't care who made the part and I can't wait for some new part next fall. The one that broke lasted just under 7 years and 130,000 miles I won't have the car at 260,000 to find out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am still waiting on the part. I have ordered 3 times and they all have been canceled. I ordered through summit for the vvt401 part and they emailed me and said the supplier will not make them anymore. I live in Georgia and I have ordered and called my dealer ship and there is still no luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told by the GM service representative, Star, that they were working on getting a part made, and she called me every other day until a few weeks ago when I was told to refer back to the dealership, Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet Ft. Worth, Tx. The dealership says there is no part being made, and they will not take the car as a trade in. GM offered nothing but the 'ol run a round, and left us with a 2015 model vehicle that is worthless and we are still making payments
GM never offered us any discounts are money towards the purchase of a new vehicle, and even if they did, I wouldn't be able to use the vehicle for a trade in or even resale back to the dealership, as they say it's defective and WILL NOT take it as long as this part is out. My wife does social media, facebook, so I will try and persuade her to pester them until they act, until then if anyone can help, let me know.

I've been getting the run around on this part from GM and the dealership, who will not take the car back for trade in until this issue, which so far, has no replacement part to correct the problem, and was told that they have no ideal if a part will ever be made. I was told that we need to start a campaign to force the dealerships and GM to get this part made ASAP, before we are all stuck with a 2015 piece of crap, and I'm still paying on the car. If anyone knows how to get a campaign started, please let me know.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
I'm glad to read that folks are getting replacements for the bad oil control valves.

How many on forum here are still waiting with a bad valve?
While most have obtained the part, it seems a few owners are still looking. Hopefully that is just regional supply issues and dealerships will step up and order it. Some dealers/suppliers appear to be doing that, some apparently refuse and that is unfortunate.

Here is a list of those that successfully obtained and installed the original or aftermarket part in the last couple months. Some replaced the cam cover as needed, some did not. Perhaps this will help others check common sources:

Fraggler2 got it from rockauto 2 months ago
idp123456 got it from summit racing 2 months ago
Chelsea got it from eBay 2 months ago
Brittanyleanne410 got it from rockauto 2 months ago
jjc got it from rockauto 2 months ago
michiganmadman got it rockauto 2 months ago
imidazol97 got it from a GM dealer 1 month ago
Charles816 got it from rockauto 1 month ago
SirJavier got it from a GM dealer 3 weeks ago
Jules got it (source unknown) about 3 weeks ago
beck75 got it from a GM dealer a week ago

141 - 145 of 145 Posts