Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Malibu 2.5L
Has anyone had any luck finding part #12633613 Valve Rocker Arm Oil Control? I've called several local dealers and a few out of state (I'm in SE Michigan). Can't find Dorman equivalent anywhere either. Everywhere states national back order or discontinued. Summit will let you order but gives an est ship date (which I've read keeps getting pushed back). Just curious if anyone has had luck receiving a backordered part or found this part elsewhere. I have the unfortunate luck of now needing this part, seemingly along with a million other Malibu's:cry:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this thread/question is 10 days old but aren't you talking about VVT actuator solenoids? Rockauto has many
different brands of those available. I would buy the Wells Vehicle Electronics brand, but they are expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OH! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I see Dorman makes an aftermarket one #916-806. Autozone says it's in stock. I have not had great luck with some of Dorman's stuff. I can't believe there are not more companies making an
aftermarket version.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems as though the part number also is attached to just the solenoid, so it's confusing. I wish more companies made this part too. They'd be making a killing on them right now for sure.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,005 Posts
The oil control valve is a solenoid for the iVLC (intake valve lift control) system. The VVT actuator/solenoids are for variable valve timing, not valve lift. It's confusing because it all sounds so similar and they work in tandem.

@skregal1 do not use aftermarket brand VVT actuators, GM forums are chock full of people complaining that replacements didn't solve the problem or the problem came back the following year and they're all people buying the $15-20 aftermarket options.

I believe Dorman sells OEM spec parts so they should be trustworthy for these replacements.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I understand I need the part imidazol97 attached above clear my check engine code P16D0. I'm not sure if you are talking about something different? I'm far from a mechanic and learning as needed pretty much ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Dorman part number #916-806. Here is Dorman's website with a picture and application data.
And Autozone's website:
Not sure that will fix your problem or not, but that part is different than the VVT solenoids for exhaust and intake.
It is an oil control valve but Autozone is calling it a variable valve timing solenoid for some reason.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is the part I need. Problem is it is unavailable, discontinued or out of stock everywhere. It appears these online stores have them, but when you add it to your cart and try and check out...nope

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your right!!!! Everyone sells it: Napa, Oreilly, Summit, RockAuto, Ebay, Amazon; but every single place is out of stock. There is something really strange going on here. This doesn't look good. The other thing I noticed was the price range was from $65 to $150. That is a really big spread for the same Dorman part.
I wonder how long GM has not had the factory replacement part to cause the aftermarket supply to also be out. And I can't believe there aren't more aftermarket companies making it. At least Summit Racing said the order would be filled 03/20/20 if completed. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should call some salvage yards. It will be a hassle, but there were a couple hundred thousand of these Malibus built in 2014 so the junkyards must have a bunch of them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's rediculous. I do have an order through Summit, but I'm sure as the ship date approaches it will just be pushed back. I have inquired at a couple salvage yards with no luck. So far my car is totally driveable, just can't use onstar or remote start because of check engine light (which sucks because it's winter of course). Not sure what to do if it becomes a real problem. So I guess I sit and wait. What else can I do ☹

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I'd have one on order at a Chevy dealer. They are the ones who will get them first, every other supplier will be second.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't locate one of these valves to repair my Malibu. Ebay has one for $638 used on buy it now, and a couple for several hundred dollars at current bid. Is there a substitution or other repair that can be done to the valve? I started a customer relations case with Chevrolet on lack of availability, but I don't have much faith in that process. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll have to see if that's possible. The times I called they didn't mention that option, just said I was out of luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't locate one of these valves to repair my Malibu. Ebay has one for $638 used on buy it now, and a couple for several hundred dollars at current bid. Is there a substitution or other repair that can be done to the valve? I started a customer relations case with Chevrolet on lack of availability, but I don't have much faith in that process. Any other suggestions?
How did you submit a complaint through GM? I doubt it will go anywhere, but I'd like to contribute to that cause! I wouldn't buy a used part for 5x the price off eBay. Price gouging at its finest...

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's my understanding that every auto.parts store is out of this part due to the autoworkers' strike last fall. The strike is over but the backlog of orders isn't getting filled fast enough. I have one on order with Sunmitracing too, but the delivery date keeps getting pushed back due to their supplier not having it (the Dorman company, I presume?) I read an article from November about the aftermath of the strike & its effects on auto parts stores, repair shops, dealers, not to mention the vehicle owners! Here we are in January, still stuck. My state inspection is months past due because of this & I could get a hefty ticket if stopped for an expired inspection sticker, but it's not my fault!!.My car won't pass inspection without this part!! I've also asked.my local.mechanic to try to help find one in the junkyards but nothing so far. This is extremely frustrating, not to.mention time-consuming. Thanks to everyone on here trying to help each other. GM, what are you doing to help your customers???

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,005 Posts
Yes, the strike had far ranging ramifications. However, the union deserves the brunt of the criticism for that. GM already paid the best salary and benefits of the domestic automakers, but the union demanded a massive contract increase because GM posted good profits. That's not how business works.

Meanwhile, union leaders up to and including the president of the UAW are literally embroiled in a massive corruption scandal. Nothing to see here, right? Turns out in addition to serious embezzlement charges within their own organization, the UAW was attempting to extort GM into a corporate merger with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

Unfortunately, all owners can do is be patient for parts distribution to rebound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just hope that police are being understanding as to why inspections are overdue. I haven't been stopped yet!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't think the strike by the greedy UAW members is at fault. I posted in another thread here that now the part shows discontinued on one parts source. My dealer parts manager says it's discontinued and a replacement design is in the works. It will be a new part number, I assume. Also Chevy is replacing the valve covers when replacing with a new part.

So I'm suspecting the new part will require a new valve cover that may already exist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Malibu 2.5L
Has anyone had any luck finding part #12633613 Valve Rocker Arm Oil Control? I've called several local dealers and a few out of state (I'm in SE Michigan). Can't find Dorman equivalent anywhere either. Everywhere states national back order or discontinued. Summit will let you order but gives an est ship date (which I've read keeps getting pushed back). Just curious if anyone has had luck receiving a backordered part or found this part elsewhere. I have the unfortunate luck of now needing this part, seemingly along with a million other Malibu's:cry:
Please let Me know if you get anywhere with this part. I also mwas due for inspection 5 months ago. Do they have to buy back the car if it cant pass inspection? I still have a loan?

1 - 20 of 226 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.