Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't seat in the back of my malibu to offer.I was lucky and got to have some fun in the back:p.anyways I notice water spots on the roof interior by both columns. They look pretty stain. Is this something under chevy warranty??

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,799 Posts
Yes to being under bumper to bumper warranty assuming it is a defect and not damage. Odds are depending on year it is leaking from the upper brake light, otherwise known as the Center High Mount Stop Lamp. Leaks from that have additional coverage beyond even the bumper to bumper warranty to 72,000 miles for some model years and VIN.

Here is a link to the CHMSL program documentation: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165439-9999.pdf

Before posting further, be sure to include required info when posting in this section - it helps us help you: **SECTION RULES: POST MUST INCLUDE YEAR/TRIM/ENGINE AND MORE

Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I don't seat in the back of my malibu to offer.I was lucky and got to have some fun in the back:p.anyways I notice water spots on the roof interior by both columns. They look pretty stain. Is this something under chevy warranty?? View attachment 69838 View attachment 69839
Sorry.. 2016 malibu LT 1.5L
THANX FOR THE INFO
Happened to my 2017 LT as well after a rainy week. Unfortunately was out of warranty and had to pay around $280 for the leak.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happened to my 2017 LT as well after a rainy week. Unfortunately was out of warranty and had to pay around $280 for the leak.
Did you know there extended coverage for the lamp light leak on the rear window?? You might be able to be reimbursed

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,799 Posts
5 months ago the car had 73,000? Just a 1000 miles over what a coincidence. 14 days ago it had about 70,000. Odd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same year & model Malibu,I noticed mine has a leak from time to time too. It doesn’t happen all the time when it rains just occasionally. My brother in law has a 2014 Malibu w/the same problem as well..so this is a factory defect??? I’m still under 50k miles,this can be repaired under my warranty??

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,799 Posts
@AvaH Yes, 2016 Malibu with 50k has a program for free repair if the leak comes from the upper brake light (center high mount stop lamp). The 2014, no idea and doubt it since the upper brake light is on the trunk in that car. The bulletin/program for 2016-2017 gen9 is linked in post 2.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Did you know there extended coverage for the lamp light leak on the rear window?? You might be able to be reimbursed
The extended coverage covers 2016 models and a limited number of 2017 models. When the stop lamp gave issues in my case I was luckily under the 3/36k warranty but I still checked the TSB to see if it happened again would I be covered. Turned out my 2017 wasn't covered (there's a VIN limitation listed in the TSB).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just went to the stealership the other and they found 3 out of 4 bolts loose and one missing underneath rearwindow stop light. Tighten then and replaced the missing one.They also order a new headliner and floor cover for the trunk at no charge.forgot to mention i have only 65,000 miles 2016 LT

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,799 Posts
I just went to the stealership the other and they found 3 out of 4 bolts loose and one missing underneath rearwindow stop light. Tighten then and replaced the missing one.They also order a new headliner and floor cover for the trunk at no charge.forgot to mention i have only 65,000 miles 2016 LT
Tighten? Yikes!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,490 Posts
I guess if it isn't broken and they do the work according to what the engineers say, it will hopefully work.

Keep a close eye on it, though.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,799 Posts
I guess if it isn't broken and they do the work according to what the engineers say, it will hopefully work.

Nope, tightening is ignoring the bulletin and it will leak again. The new locking nuts/fasteners must be used along with the new gasket kit. Tightening the non-locking and admitted already loose and/or missing nuts just kicks the can a few months until they loosen again. Not to mention ruin the new headliner. I guess if the owner is getting rid of the car soon the next owner can just deal with it out of pocket.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,490 Posts
I'm glad you clarified that for me as well as any who may come along, but more importantly for @Jaynitro so he can benefit.

Thank you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I go to the carwash daily since then to see if the leak is still there. It's been 5 days 7 carwashes and no leak yet!! I must mention i normally pay for the monthly unlimited car washes this time of the year when its to cold to wash myself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts