Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Mocha Steel Metallic Malibu "L"T 2.4L A6
7 Posts
hmm I don't know if this is rare but my malibu has never gotten rust in that area also in my opinion I would assume that if you do fix the rust properly that is then it shouldn't come back unless the area/paint gets damaged somehow I only assume this because my car has never gotten rust in that area to begin with

·
Registered
2010 Malibu 1LS Mocha Steel Metallic
66 Posts
That area is just all around not well designed. My bu also rusted out there. The problem is, its rusted on the inside layer and reaching through to the outside. Its near impossible to properly sand the backside to prevent the rust from coming back, but it can be done. You can either sand it all down both sides, cover it with rust reformer, primer and paint it. Or do what I did, and cut that part of the sheet metal out, fill in the majority of the area with expanding foam body filler, rebuild the body shape with Bondo, then primer and paint it.
It'll be a fair amount of work either way, but if you plan on keeping the car long term its best to get it now before it spread and gets worse.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Any rust will keep on rusting. Foam fill is just a band aid and rust will come back with vengeance.
That's why they call it cancer. If not fully cut out it comes back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Jothro, how is your fix holding up? how long ago did you do it? does the foam absorb moisture?
thx
The side I experimented and cut the rusty sheet metal out and filled with body filler seems to be holding up well. No worries about moisture in the foam, as the expanding foam used is sandable filler used for filling holes in boats, homes, etc. And then around that I used a layer of Bondo fiberglass filler, then Bondo body filler. The other side that I just sanded down and painted over the existing metal does have some rust coming back, so I'll have to cut that out and fill it too.
Echoing what Repairman said though, its all just bandaids on what will be a perpetual problem of living in the north/rust prone environments. Its a fun project if you like tinkering and fixing things, but will take you quite a few hours, and is by no means a permanent fix.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It does look a lot better than rusty metal though if done right! And materials to do it aren't too expensive. If you've got an angle grinder, you'll just need a cutting disk, and then some sandable expanding foam, and a little tub of bondo (your choice whether you want to double up and do fiberglass AND body filler). Might wanna get the finishing bondo too to fill any small holes. Then sand it down, either by hand or with a palm sander. Then primer, paint, clear coat! Total materials for when I did everything was like $130ish I think?
Also, project was done last summer. Held up through the winter, minus the side left as metal starting to rust out again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
thanks guys. I did several body projects 35 years ago and have all the tools. Did you use great stuff original foam
Oh boy, good question... I don't remember if it was a specific type of Great Stuff, or if it was another brand. I'll have to take a look to see if I've got any left over

·
Registered
30 Posts
hmm I don't know if this is rare but my malibu has never gotten rust in that area also in my opinion I would assume that if you do fix the rust properly that is then it shouldn't come back unless the area/paint gets damaged somehow I only assume this because my car has never gotten rust in that area to begin with
Mine rusted in the same area on both sides.
View attachment 72855
Anyone have luck repairing rust between back door and wheel? was told don't bother as it will keep coming back. any thoughts or ideas.
Mine rusted there on both sides . Pull the plastic rockers off. You'll have to buy new clips as the old ones will break. Grind off and cut away bad metal. I went to home Depot and bought a small piece of sheet metal and cut n' bent pieces on a garage vise to fit , JB welded and riveted the patch panels on, layered on small strand fiberglass filler , sanded and finished with bondo, primed and painted with White Rustoleum enamel, finished with clear coat. Should last me awhile. Don't let it go longer . Chances are it's bigger than what you see there. My cost was 200.00 dollars including tools needed and supplies from Harbor freight as opposed to 2,000.00 dollar quote from a body shop. Chaulk it up as a fun learning experience. Mine came out fine for a first time job. Just take your time

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

All fixed and looks great. I ground all the rust out, pulled all the sponge like sound deading stuss out. treated inside and out with phosperidatic acid to convert any leftover rust. filled with foam, then glass filled filler, light coat of bondo, primer, 5 coats of paint, wet sand 3000 grit, 5 coats of clear. I a few weeks I will spray inside of cavity with fluid film anlong with rockers doors etc etc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
before picture up at top of post. should have taken a picture after grinding. had one hole a litter on 1" dia. and another about pensil size.
there is no one around that will even touch rust anymore so had no alternative but do it myself. haven't did any body work for almost 35 years. see how long it lasts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts