Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a recall notice in the mail yesterday for my 2009 Malibu.:( Here's the description of the recall:

"The transmission shift cable adjustment clip on your vehicle may not be fully engaged. If the clip is not fully engaged, the shift lever and the actual position of the transmission gear may not match. With this condition, the driver could move the shifter to PARK and remove the ignition key, but the transmission gear may not be in PARK. The driver may not be able to restart the vehicle and the vehicle could roll away after the driver has exited the vehicle, resulting in a possible crash without prior warning."

The fix is to inspect the shift cable adjustment clip, and if it's not working properly, they'll replace the shift cable. Seems pretty straightforward---as long as my 'Bu doesn't take off on me in the meantime!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
My dealer already looked at mine and found nothing wrong, better safe than sorry. Any problems with your BT yet? Few reports about it not working after a few months. Keeping my fingers xxx

·
Registered
569 Posts
My dealer already looked at mine and found nothing wrong, better safe than sorry. Any problems with your BT yet? Few reports about it not working after a few months. Keeping my fingers xxx
Mine has now stopped working, I got the software recall notice in the mail about 2 weeks ago and then it stopped pairing with my iphone 3g

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine has now stopped working, I got the software recall notice in the mail about 2 weeks ago and then it stopped pairing with my iphone 3g
Mine is working fine still, after a month. A couple of times it didn't synch when I got in the car, but that's it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mine is working fine still, after a month. A couple of times it didn't synch when I got in the car, but that's it.
Thats how mine started.. You have to totally repair the device and even then it only works that once.. next crank up it wont pair anymore.. Mines about 6 months old now

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got a second notice about this, first time was in March, I took it to the dealer at the time, and they said they are to inspect it. Perhaps the dealer didn’t do anything, and haven’t updated GM’s system? Do the dealers notify GM for all work, even if there were no problem found?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am SOOO MAD right now, I just had this EXACT same thing happen to my 2008 Malibu, and I had to pay $365 to get the shift cable replaced (39k miles so out of warranty, apparentley the shift cable is not covered under the extended powertrain warranty). The recal dosen't cover 2008 Malibu's apparently.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,188 Posts
Safety is safety. Call GM customer service and see if you can get a little consideration.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am SOOO MAD right now, I just had this EXACT same thing happen to my 2008 Malibu, and I had to pay $365 to get the shift cable replaced (39k miles so out of warranty, apparentley the shift cable is not covered under the extended powertrain warranty). The recal dosen't cover 2008 Malibu's apparently.
Call GM and report it. If they get enough complaints from 2008 owners they may expand the recall.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Call GM and report it. If they get enough complaints from 2008 owners they may expand the recall.
I did call GM yesterday and I am waiting to hear from the area rep. I wish I would have went and picked up the car though cause it is still at the dealer and they told me I should leave it until I hear from the rep. I love my car and I am not against paying for service that is outside the warranty, but if GM issued a safety recall for 2009 Malibu's for the exact issue I experienced than I would hope they would be able to do something for me. Especially since my car is just out of the 36,000 warranty.

·
Registered
184 Posts
At least GM are giving out recalls now instead of a few years down the road like they used to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I talked to the Rep yesterday and she asked me a bunch of questions and what my concern was, and said she would call me today and let me know what, if any assistance they would give me. She was really nice, so I am hoping they cover it. I normally wouldn't have called, but my wife drives an 2005 Acura TSX, and we have never had to do anything to it other than oil changes and brakes, and she has been giving me a hard time about the Malibu, cause it has had an issue with the brakes locking up, and now this shift cable deal. We are expecting our first child in October and I am trying to convince her to get a GMC Acadia, but she wants an MDX, so I am hoping GM does something so it will help me get her to get to Acadia.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well I got a call from the rep yesterday and she said GM is going to pay for the repair, all I need to do is take the receipt to the dealership and they will refund what I paid. They have made a very loyal GM customer very happy and just a little more loyal.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,326 Posts
Well I got a call from the rep yesterday and she said GM is going to pay for the repair, all I need to do is take the receipt to the dealership and they will refund what I paid. They have made a very loyal GM customer very happy and just a little more loyal.
Well that is good, and surprising news.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Excellent! That's how proper customer service should be.

·
Banned
810 Posts
That is great to hear. I had been away from GM vehicles for a while and had been driving Honda's and Fords. I always liked GM and decided to trade our 08 Honda Odyssey EXL for the Malibu. I have owned a long list of GM cars and it is Great to hear GM has taken care of you and are willing to stand behind thier product, as they should. PS. I like my Malibu Very Much but I have to say that not only did i had owned the odyssey but had owned two Accords and had no problems at all. Just had to add that because of the comment of the your wife owning a Acura But I had also owed a 2003 GMC Yukon XL and it was one of the best Vehicles that I ever owed. Traded because of the high gas prices in 2005/2006, what a mistake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.