Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, i has in a car accident and totaled my beloved Honda Fit. My parents and I soon went on the hunt for a good used car to buy with the insurance payout. We first went to a dealership in Shreveport called Chevyland. We found a GM Certified 2009 Bu with 10,000 miles a V6 for $12,500. It had qualities that my parents wanted (safety, price, etc) and qualities that i liked (the driving dynamics, the V6, automatic transmission with a manual mode, etc). We have bought 3 or 4 cars from this dealership and the same salesperson in the past so we had no reason to think that we were being mislead. That was in July of last year. I drove it for several months with no problems (other than the sucky tires that came with it). Then in the middle of November, I was going to drive to Austin for the US GP and decided to check the fluids to try to avoid a potential breakdown in the middle of nowhere. I then realized that the engine looked kind of small for a 3.6L V6, seemed to be missing 2 exhaust headers, and had the word ECOTEC printed on the engine cover. Funny enough it was the ECOTEC part that made me suspicious because a 3.6L V6 doesn't seem to conjure up images of ecological efficiency. So I checked and it turns out that it was the 2.4L I4 in my car. I was left with 2 possible explanations: 1. Gremlins replaced my V6 with an I4 after I bought it, or 2. We were lied to at the dealership. So obviously I watered down my garage, put food out after midnight, and since there weren't any cocoons or any crazy reptiles (or at least any more than usual) in the morning it couldn't have been the gremlins. We have been calling the dealership multiple times a week in the 4 months since we figured this out, and haven't gotten any answers or even an oops. I love the car, but it suck that it isn't as cool as I thought it was.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,021 Posts
If you test drove it and enjoyed the performance of the 4-cylinder/6-speed auto, then be happy with the car. Yes, it's shady of the dealership to advertise the V6, but power seems sufficient for you, and you get to enjoy the 22/33 mpg rating of the car.

You can improve the look by swapping in the dual exhaust splitter (from the V6 model) and slap on the trunk-lip spoiler for reasonable cost.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It sucks you didn't get the engine you wanted but at least you will get better fuel economy. Just throw one of these on the sides of it to make you feel better :) [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Black-Metal-Engine-Emblem/dp/B00I0A2XR0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393538184&sr=8-3&keywords=v6+badge[/ame]

Make sure to look at the papers you signed though. If they sold you a V6, make sure to get the money back or whatever the four cylinder is probably cheaper. The salesman could have said V6 on accident but I wasn't there, you were. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,021 Posts
Agreed about checking the papers you signed for the car. If they charged you a price based on having the V6 package, they owe you about $1000 back. The package game with a hydraulic steering system, 18 inch wheels, the high tech V6, and a high-torque transmission.

On my window sticker, the V6 package was $1800 new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the positive responses guys. I really do like the car, and it is still a ton of fun to drive, but it was pretty disappointing to find out I was lied to. I get that mistakes happen, but if they just called back, said oops, and let me "test" a SS for a week, it would be all good. Instead the salesman seems to have no idea what we are talking about when we call him. I want to thing that he accidentally told us it was a V6, but he said it several times, and has been dodging us for months. I am really disappointed with the way the dealership has handled it rather than being disappointed with the car.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,197 Posts
With so much time having gone by memory tends to fade. He isn't as invested in your purchase as you are. He may have had a V6 for sale and made the mistake, thinking he was selling that one when indeed he was not. Or he may have driven the car and thought it was so spritely that it just had to be a V6, but it wasn't. Or he outright lied. Or ... (fill in your theory here) ...

Either way, I'm sorry that you don't have the V6 but not for the reason that you would have liked to have had it: I prefer hydraulic PS which is what the V6 has, as opposed to EPS found in the I4.

I'm not sure how much inspection you could have done before buying it if you never popped the hood or pulled the dipstick or checked all the other fluids. If you did that and saw the V6 but ended up with an I4 then it was a bait-n-switch, though that is about as likely as getting struck by lightning in a Faraday cage, or a major mistake by someone moving cars around.

Let us know how it finally turns out.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,021 Posts
DD that part about getting struck by lightning was hilarious!

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's a bummer. When I bought mine I opened EVERYTHING and checked everything I could get my hands on in a parking lot during my test drive. Just to be certain, check your paperwork, if your paperwork says V6, not only would I raise hell about the cost, but also, I'd check the VIN number on the vehicle. Make sure the car you bought on paper is the car sitting in your driveway. That would be a paperwork mess. Also, as others have said, obviously the 4 cylinder is working for you powerwise if you didn't notice for months, but I would also check insurance. Are you paying more because your insurer thinks you have a V6? Good luck and let us know if you get anywhere with dealer or otherwise

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, funny thing is when I was shopping for my Malibu at the time the dealer had two on his lot. I test drove one and thought it was great then when I popped the hood I saw Ecotec and told him it wasn't the V6 like he said it was. Luckily the other model he had was the LTZ. There were other obvious differences after looking that I should have picked up on, I knew the V6 had dual exhaust and this one didn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.