Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 LTZ seems to have a paint issue.

Where the front end piece (Bumper) meets the fender, in the wheel arch, the two pieces are rubbing and the paint has cracked and is peeling off the front end piece. The paint on the fender looks ok.

This is on BOTH sides where the fender meets the facia. I noticed a small crack on one side two weeks ago, and now, with only 2,000 miles on the vehicle, noticed that both sides are showing damage.

I ask that other owners take a look at their cars and post here if you have a problem.

Thanks,

Craig
Lakeland, FL

·
Registered
112 Posts
Although I have not noticed a problem at the juncture you mention I will check after I get her back from the dealer.

I do have a paint chip on the body as a result of the front plastic chaffing the body near the grille area. IMO the paint being heavily "pooled" at the edge of the steel panel contributed to the issue.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
So far so good with mine, Craig. I will certainly keep an eye on the area you mention, thanks for the heads up.

I do have a small "Fish Eye" on the roof, however. It doesn't show any signs of flaking or peeling and it's not noticable unless your waxing the car. I guess I should have ordered the sun roof. :eek:

I will have the dealership note it on my service record it case it gets worse later on. I don't want to have it repaired unless it's absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't noticed this on my red jewel, and I always shami the car after washing it (so I see every little imperfection).

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I haven't noticed this on my red jewel, and I always shami the car after washing it (so I see every little imperfection).
I'll try and take a photo, Michael. I sometimes have problems with "Red Jewel Glare" when taking photos of it. ;):D

·
Registered
7 Posts
2008 Red Jewel Tintcoat Purchased in May with Paint Flaking and Peeling Where Bumper fascia meets fender in wheel arch.

Just noticed the same problem with our 2008 Chevrolet Malibu this evening. Ours was just purchased in May with Red Jewel Tintcoat and the paint is peeling and flaking on the front bumper fascia where the bumper mates with the fender in the wheel arch. Just on the right side now, not yet on the left. I will bring it to the dealer's attention when I take it in for the oil change. Don't really want the entire bumper fascia removed, so hopefully I can get away with some touch up paint there and a dealer note in case it starts happening to the entire bumper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2008 Red Jewel Tintcoat Purchased in May with Paint Flaking and Peeling Where Bumper fascia meets fender in wheel arch.

Just noticed the same problem with our 2008 Chevrolet Malibu this evening. Ours was just purchased in May with Red Jewel Tintcoat and the paint is peeling and flaking on the front bumper fascia where the bumper mates with the fender in the wheel arch. Just on the right side now, not yet on the left. I will bring it to the dealer's attention when I take it in for the oil change. Don't really want the entire bumper fascia removed, so hopefully I can get away with some touch up paint there and a dealer note in case it starts happening to the entire bumper.

My wife has just purchased a 2008 and now, with just 1,000 miles, now has peeling, flaking paint in the same two areas as my LTZ.

It is caused by the movement, back and forth (inside to outside), of the fender and the front facia. There must be some flex in order for this to happen.

On another note, does your REAR facia (bumper) have lots of flex at the bottom, directly behind the tires (both sides)? It seems as the inner fender liners, where they attache behind the rear wheels have a lot of "play".......

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've seen the flaking paint issue on other vehicles, like the 07 Avalanche, for the exact same reason too. Supposedly GM has done something to address it on those? Anyway, I haven't noticed the paint flaking issue yet on my Malibu, though I've been keeping an eye out for it.

The rear bumper definitely has a lot of flex in it behind the tires. There's not much support for the cover right behind the wheels.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Every Gm car I have had has flex in one of the bumpers. When I had my 07 Cobalt SS Supercharged, I had large amount of flex with the front bumper. I have no idea why that happens. It just does I guess. And yes I too have seen the flex in the rear bumper.... it happens. if you take it to a dealership they will say thats how its made

·
Registered
20 Posts
This paint peeling is a fit issue between the front facia and fenders. Almost every single Malibu on the lot has this. Different severity depending on how the body was building at the time of assembly. I have the golden amber color and it had paint missing from the facia the first day I looked at it. Not sure what a dealer can do because even if they replace/ touch-up the areas the fit issue doesn't go away.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also had this problem on my new Malibu...I took it to the body shop. They took off the front facia and repainted the problem spots. They also stated that the damage was due to construction of the vehicle due to tight tolorances. The dealership said that they lubricated the connectionpointes extremely well before reattaching the front facia. No problems since the repair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.