Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the factory speakers in my 2012 Malibu LT (no Bose) due to need. The driver's door hasn't worked for 50k miles.
Now, I am considering replacing my factory stereo for better sound and updated controls etc.
I want to keep SiriusXM, but I don't want to run the magnetic antenna-I would rather use the factory antenna.
There are adapters - but I was told by Crutchfield (who are normally pretty reliable) that the adapters won't work with my car.
Does anyone have any other suggestions or products they recommend?
Maestro iDataLink SAT1 supposedly doesn't fit.
Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is no adapter for the end the plugs into the stereo.
Replacing the head unit means you'll have to pony up for a new SiriusXM tuner if you want to keep satellite. Get an antenna cable and run it from your new SiriusXM tuner to the rear deck where the factory tuner is. Unplug the cable from the factory tuner, remove the plastic cover from the end of the factory cable and connect it to the cable you ran from your new tuner. This will connect you to the antenna above.
Getting to the rear deck does take time. I hope I never have to go back there again.
Replacing the head unit is an involved process also with the harnesses you need. And if you want to keep steering wheel controls, that's another purchase. Research it well. I did the head unit, SXM, rear speakers and back up camera all in the same day. And aside from swearing, I don't think I did anything else that day. But I'm happy with the results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for responding. I took your advice & ordered the cable & am going to venture to the dreaded back deck - yes it's a miserable experience. My question is where exactly did you find the antenna module to plug the cable into in the back deck?
I bought the 300v1 SiriusXM tuner for my head unit, so I know where one end goes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check the image in this post.
https://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/61-modifications-generation-7/112001-rear-tweeters.html#post854221

It's the silver box at the front of the deck. Two cables come from the left side. One of them goes to the roof, the other to the stock stereo. Only one will fit the cable you run back there. You can buy the FAKRA adapter but it's really unnecessary. Once you get the plastic piece off plug the cables together and run some electrical tape over the connection and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks! I ordered the cable, followed your directions and boom! I have satellite radio with the factory antenna. Super easy (pro at the back deck by now!)

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
Hey thanks! I ordered the cable, followed your directions and boom! I have satellite radio with the factory antenna. Super easy (pro at the back deck by now!)
Did you happen to snap any pics of the connection you made or the box?

I have an aftermarket SXM tuner. While I'm happy enough to use the external antenna that comes with it and have it in the bottom right corner of the front windshield, it would be really nice if I could use the roof antenna that's already there.

What cable did you get and where did you get it from?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you happen to snap any pics of the connection you made or the box?

I have an aftermarket SXM tuner. While I'm happy enough to use the external antenna that comes with it and have it in the bottom right corner of the front windshield, it would be really nice if I could use the roof antenna that's already there.

What cable did you get and where did you get it from?
Dude, read my messages in this thread! :smile: I have a link to the cable on Amazon in one, and in another, a link to a post I made six months ago that shows the factory tuner on the back deck.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
There is no adapter for the end the plugs into the stereo.
Replacing the head unit means you'll have to pony up for a new SiriusXM tuner if you want to keep satellite. Get an antenna cable and run it from your new SiriusXM tuner to the rear deck where the factory tuner is. Unplug the cable from the factory tuner, remove the plastic cover from the end of the factory cable and connect it to the cable you ran from your new tuner. This will connect you to the antenna above.
Getting to the rear deck does take time. I hope I never have to go back there again.
Replacing the head unit is an involved process also with the harnesses you need. And if you want to keep steering wheel controls, that's another purchase. Research it well. I did the head unit, SXM, rear speakers and back up camera all in the same day. And aside from swearing, I don't think I did anything else that day. But I'm happy with the results.
Check the image in this post.
https://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/61-modifications-generation-7/112001-rear-tweeters.html#post854221

It's the silver box at the front of the deck. Two cables come from the left side. One of them goes to the roof, the other to the stock stereo. Only one will fit the cable you run back there. You can buy the FAKRA adapter but it's really unnecessary. Once you get the plastic piece off plug the cables together and run some electrical tape over the connection and it'll be fine.
Dude, read my messages in this thread! :smile: I have a link to the cable on Amazon in one, and in another, a link to a post I made six months ago that shows the factory tuner on the back deck.
LOL!

I read all of the posts and even saw the image of the rear deck, but missed the link in your earlier post to the antenna cable. It was hiding in a color without any bold or underline like I would expect a link to have. But now that I've found it, why, there it is!

:D

Edit: Cable ordered...

Order Number: 111-5004292-8608251
SiriusXM Radio 20' Antenna Extension - Right Angle will be shipped to ME by Amazon.com.
Guaranteed delivery: Feb. 3, 2019

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made my life a little easier too by dropping the SXM tuner down by the fuse box on the passenger side. Easy access to plug in the cables and run the antenna cable under carpet & floor trim etc. Mega easy thanks to artm.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
With the information from this thread and an extra part, I modified my 2011 so that I can use my external SXM tuner as well as the XM tuner in the stock HU.

Images 1 and 2: On the passenger's side of the rear shelf, this is the XM tuner with the tan connector for the antenna.

Image 3: Stock tan plug with blue Y-connector plugged into it, then 1 of the 2 blue connectors plugged into the tuner and the 2nd one with the antenna extension cable plugged in and taped to prevent it from disconnecting. The 2 blue connectors have metal connectors that are 90º and they swivel.

Image 4: Plastic cover for the sail panel, showing the single snap-in connector with the metal clip at the upper right. The pillar in the center is just to keep the panel from caving in if it's pushed on. At the left is the tang that inserts into the rear shelf cover inside the rear window. At the bottom right are 2 parts of what snaps into the lower cover when properly installed. While this piece was out, I took the liberty of cleaning it thoroughly in my sink.

Image 5: Close-up of the sail panel's single snap clip. The slot inside is for the tether that keeps the panel from flying around when the airbags deploy.

Image 6: Body behind the sail panel. The black plastic just above the red and white airbag assembly is where the panel snaps in, plus it has the tether that takes just a little twisting to remove it from the panel without breaking it. Notice also the slot in the package shelf cover running from the front toward the rear window along the left side, along with the opening at the window that the panel tangs insert into.

Image 7: Sail panel inserted into the slot in the package shelf cover.

·
Registered
81 Posts
SiruisXM Select subscription now allows you to stream from your device, making this process almost moot. The problem with the app is you have limited skips/rewinds. And the interface (esp on Android Auto) takes more brain cells than I can offer while driving.

If I were faced with this today I would probably skip it in lieu of the app. But I'm quite happy with the results.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
I have a lifetime subscription, so my listening is already paid for. Plus the Onyx tuner has the ability to alert me of up to 100 songs/artists that I add to the list, and 30 presets that I can set up on 10 buttons using 3 "bands" - A, B, and C. I can rewind up to about 45 minutes on any single channel.

I use the website app on my computer at home and get to listen to a lot of music whenever I choose.

My phone doesn't have enough data to be able to stream the music to the app without overage charges, so using the tuner is good for me.

Thanks, @artm, for the information you provided. It has served me well!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts