Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just changed my oil for the first time on my 4 cylinder. Had no idea there was 7.5 qts of oil in the pan, never seen this on a car that would hold this much oil! May have to rethink the 2500 mile intervals~

On the title for this, Anyone run Schaefer oil or fuel additive? I work for a truck dealer and they want us to sell it and went so far as to provide me fuel additive and oil to run on a test and see how much better I do. They guarantee a 5% minimum improvement! What have you guys seen!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've never heard of it, nor would I recommend it. The owners manual even states not to add anything. Most of that stuff is utter crap. The only product I will add to anything is SeaFoam.

·
Registered
169 Posts
just changed my oil for the first time on my 4 cylinder. Had no idea there was 7.5 qts of oil in the pan, never seen this on a car that would hold this much oil! May have to rethink the 2500 mile intervals~

On the title for this, Anyone run Schaefer oil or fuel additive? I work for a truck dealer and they want us to sell it and went so far as to provide me fuel additive and oil to run on a test and see how much better I do. They guarantee a 5% minimum improvement! What have you guys seen!
7.5 qts :eek: I had no idea it took that much. I just hit 1200 miles, better start looking for some mobil1. What brand oil filter are you using? I don't like the fact that Fram filters don't come with a new O ring for the cannister. I saw some at Walmart, think it was ST, that came with the O ring.

·
Registered
178 Posts
just changed my oil for the first time on my 4 cylinder. Had no idea there was 7.5 qts of oil in the pan!
I hope you haven't driven anywhere yet and can drain some of that oil. That or you left the drain plug out when you were refilling.:eek:

The owner's manual states: Oil Capacity = 5.0 qt
Cooling System = 7.5 qt

·
Registered
169 Posts
lol, I just went out and check my manual also, 7.5 qts was just crazy for a little 4 cyl :p

·
Registered
193 Posts
You definitely don't want to add anything to the oil. It could upset the additive package that has already been formulated to provide excellent protection.

Fuel additive shouldn't hurt, but if you're using top tier gas it isn't necessary.

It's not 1963 anymore. Fuel and gasoline have been formulated to do their jobs properly without any "help"...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Your 2009 2.4L engine should be the same size as my 2008 2.4L, which should be refilled about 4.5 qts only. You must have overfilled it!
Pour only 4 quarts first and run the engine for 5-10 minutes. Then waited for 30 minutes for the oil running down to the oil span. Then check the dipstick again. The oil level should be ok at that time. I would not recommend to fill for more than 5 quarts. I have changed oil 3 times for my car. I am very sure about it.
I recommend you drain and fill it again. Overfill can damage the engine.
BTW, I don't like this new dipstick design: it's kind of hard to check if the oil has been overfilled. The old flat design is easy to check for overfill.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Zmax is an additive for oil that is suppose to soak into the metal. They all say they will get you better gas mileage, but I don't believe them anymore. I added a K&N air filter and use Synthetic oil and do not notice a mileage increase.

The additives also say they do not void your warranty. I don't plan on adding any of them in the near future unless they can provide proof and they cannot.

my $.o2

·
Registered
472 Posts
Changing your oil at 2500 miles is a waste of oil and your time.
I have an 08 LTZ with the 4 and 6 speed. I bought it at the end of July last year and have 5900 miles on it now. OLM indicates 32% oil life left. Figure I will have some where around 8500 miles on the current oil when it comes time to change it.

Bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5 qts filled it so I stopped, yes I did look at the owners manual wrong, so I stand corrected but did not overfill!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.