Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Sometimes I notice that when I start the car first thing in the morning with remote start, it would emit a very short high pitch screeching noise...It is very short in duration, half a second or less.
It's gotten colder, perhaps that's a factor.

Anyone noticed that as well?

·
Registered
795 Posts
My first thought would be the serpentine belt. Does it also do it when you start the car with the key?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My first thought would be the serpentine belt. Does it also do it when you start the car with the key?
I don't know, it only happened a couple of times, both times with remote start.

Could it be normal, like some ice buildup somewhere....the sound is very brief and doesn't seem to come back when I start the car to go home at night.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yesterday the low was -8 deg. F. and it did not get above 0 during the day. My wife mentioned that when she started her Malibu after work she heard a squeal for a second.
If the noise keeps happening or it lasts longer have your dealer look at it.

Do you park outside or in a garage?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outside all the time.

·
Registered
795 Posts
With the car sitting out where you live, you'll probably hear some odd creaks and groans this winter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In Michigan, it has been very cold lately so I have been using my remote start regularly and I also have that high pitch buzzing sound when I use it.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Does it sound like it could be the starter not disengaging as quickly as it should?

My Ridgeline, on very cold winter mornings, makes a similar sound that has been found to be the power steering pump running dry for about a 1/2 second.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I would put my money on this, as Aura owners have reported the same thing and it was the belt--seemed to be a cold weather issue. Not sure if there was any remedy, just that it happens with really cold pulleys and the rubber belt.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would put my money on this, as Aura owners have reported the same thing and it was the belt--seemed to be a cold weather issue. Not sure if there was any remedy, just that it happens with really cold pulleys and the rubber belt.
It actually does sound a lot like rubber on a pulley. Do you know if it causes any problems long term?

·
Registered
281 Posts
It actually does sound a lot like rubber on a pulley. Do you know if it causes any problems long term?
maybe a little extra ware.....probly not noticable though, we'll see if our cars start eating belts rolleyes: but i doubt it

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe a little extra ware.....probly not noticable though, we'll see if our cars start eating belts rolleyes: but i doubt it
I agree, considering how infrequently it happens.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi All

There might be a fix for this screeching after all. I found this bulletin on SaturnFans (also mentioned on an Acadia forum). It's pretty recent.
I am going to try and get this done tomorrow. Unfortunately temps are going up, so I might not know if the fix works or not unless we get a cold spell again. But anyhow, it's just a reflash and I'd rather have it done even if it doesn't entirely fix the issue.

---------------------------

#PIP4367B: Noise When Vehicle Is Started And Running In Remote Start Mode - keywords 3.6 3.6L 6T70 6T75 grind growl LY7 MH2 MH4 MH6 MY9 start whine - (Jan 26, 2009)

Subject: Noise When Vehicle is Started and Running in Remote Start Mode

Models: 2007-2008 Saturn Outlook
2007-2008 GMC Acadia
2008 Buick Enclave
2008 Chevrolet Equinox
2008 Pontiac G6
2008 Pontiac Torrent
2008 Chevrolet Malibu
2008 Saturn Aura
2008 Saturn Vue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update models. Please discard PIP4367A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customer comment of a whine/growl/ grind noise when vehicle is started and running in remote start mode.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Calibration commands elevated transmission line pressure during remote start run mode.

Reprogram the TCM and ECM using the SEQ selection from TIS2WEB, SPS Pass-Thru method release 3.5 (2008) or greater.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I had the reflash done and we had a couple of cold days. While it's definitely not enough testing time to be definite (and temps are a maybe a tad too close to the threshold when the screech/grind happens) it is somewhat encouraging. I heard the noise one time, but it was better - more muffled and shorter in duration. So this reflash MIGHT have some bearing on the issue.

Unfortunately (or fortunately :)) the cold weather is about done for this winter, so more definite observations to come next time around.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've noticed this too. I THINK it is only when it's remote start and when cold, but I can't be sure. I park in a garage, and either start my car from inside the car, or inside the house most of the time so I don't hear it. It could be because it's warmer, or I'm in the car and cant hear the noise or because I'm in the house and can't hear the noise. I have heard it when starting my car from the parking lot at work. The only time I do this is when it's cold, and I always hear it then, so it definitely does it then. I'd have to test it when warmer and when starting manually with the door open or something to be sure if it does it other times or not.

For the record, I have a 2009 2LT. Do you think the dealer would do this update seeing as the callout is for 2008 Malibus? While I'm there I could have them look at the noise coming from the dash area.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am quite sure that a lot, if not all, 08 Malibus and Auras are suffering from this. Wouldn't be surprised if 09s are the same as 08s in that respect.

According to my experience the threshold temp for this is about 24F(-4C), give or take. A little warmer, say 27 and it's unlikely to happen.

This whole thing is still murky. There's a video on SaturnFans forum that has a similar noise in it, but the car is started with a key....I personally can't clearly recall if I heard it when NOT using the remote start, but with the remote start it happens below 24F quite reliably.
Btw, I am talking about temperature reading in the car, not the weather station :)

I decided to give this TSB a shot anyways because it was easy for a dealer to do (and my dealer being nice agreed to do it without even hearing it first).

You can try asking your dealer...Who knows, they might.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.