Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having problems with the Christmas tree plug the that’s holds the plastic seat back on. Any pressure on the seat back causes cover to push out. Any suggestions? 2011 Malibu.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same problem. I haven't taken the back off yet, but a few years ago I complained and the dealer told me it was not covered under my extended warranty. The service manager didn't agree with them and ordered some new fasteners and installed them for me at no charge. They lasted a year or two and now its back to popping off again. I called the parts department at the local dealer and asked about them and he said it was best to take the back off and bring a fastener in, because the ones the computer listed were pricey ($12 ea?) and he thought the body shop there may have a universal type fastener that would work and be cheaper.

It's something I don't think about often, but it really does change the comfort level of the seat. If you like your lumbar adjusted all the way out like I do, it feels like it isn't doing anything unless you shove the plastic back onto the seat again. I'm not super busy atm... maybe I'll go take the back off and see if I can get the new retainers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you use a replacement clip from the parts store or something ordered through the dealer?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,400 Posts
These "Lego" cars are here to stay. It's great when all you're looking for is speed during assembly. But servicing snap-together parts makes it difficult not to break things, and the longevity seems to be reduced.

When was the last time you took a bolt off a car for the very first time and it broke? If it did, how often has that happened compared to these plastic clips breaking or becoming unusable?

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
That's the point I was trying to get across.

Remove a plastic clip from a snap-together car and it might be able to be used again, but do it a few times and it has to be replaced once it's too weak to do its job.

Remove a bolt or nut from something and it can usually be used over and over again with no need to replace it, and little fear of it losing its ability to hold the parts together.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
@bereta#1

Even though you had to buy another fastener, it's nice that they aren't expensive at all.

If possible, would you share a picture or description of the part and/or part number, and where you got it? That way, the next person who needs this will have a better chance at success. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Purchased these at Car Quest Auto store. Au-ve-co Products # AP 16695. GM Trim Panel Retainers. I had to modify the head a bit to fit the slots in the panel, but, they worked. Another possibility, that I didn’t try, is a GM Bumper Extension Cap Clip. Part #25639958. Both are 8mm diameter. If anyone tries, the later, let me know how they work. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts