·
Registered
749 Posts
Yeah... wear your seatbelt.

·
Registered
749 Posts
that really didnt answer my question.
You cannot disable your seatbelt warning chime.. it's a safety issue and in most if not all states, it's the law anyway.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i agree with tmoney. i would just wear it. but if you really dont want to, and if you really really want to disable it, go to the junk yard, cut the buckle off of a wrecked cars belt, and put it in the plug. or an even easier fix would be to just cut your own belt up, and put the buckle in the plug. since apparently you have no intention to wear the one in your car anyway. good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't know the law, but it may be legal in some states, and as such he should be able to disable it and ask about it here. If that is the case, though, a call to the dealership should answer the question.

Personally I would never get in a car and not wear my seat belt. I think it's stupid. However, I also think it's ridiculous that there are laws about an adult, in America, being forced to wear a seat belt (or a motorcycle helmet for that matter). The only person they are potentially hurting is themselves. It's different with kids and the incompetent, but for adults I think it's just wrong. I think it's a case of a government that is getting to0 involved in people's personal lives, and more so them trying to create revenue with ticketing.

That said, I still would always wear my belt. A lot of other mods are talked about here & elsewhere that are illegal for both safety and non-safety reasons and people seem more responsive. I understand why you may not want to help, but then just don't help. Though, wearing your seat belt is a solution, and it would stop the chime. That also explains some other solutions, such as clipping the belt in and sitting on it not under it, or the solution offered for using a cut seat belt clasp from another car.

All the guy wants is some suggestions as to he can disable it. Judgment should be reserved for a different forum.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I dunno, but I can tell you that going to the junk yard to get a spare plug in is a BAD idea. These cars have sensors in them that detect you have the belt plugged in and in the event of certain types of collision, the airbag may not deploy since it sees you as wearing the belt, this can cause serious injury. In my crown vic you can disable it by doing a series of combo moves like pumping the brakes and locking the dorrs while standing on one foot and rubbing your belly. But serious, the extra buckle is not a good idea.

Also wearing your seatbelt is enforced in all US states, but only on public roads and highways, maybe this guy drives it around a parking lot on provate property? Or a government facility, or this is used as a cop car, cops aren't required by law to wear safety belts. Before you all start yelling that's not fair, think about this, they may need to jump out and take off running, get down to avoid gun fire, seat belts can restrict the movement.

OK sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I
. However, I also think it's ridiculous that there are laws about an adult, in America, being forced to wear a seat belt (or a motorcycle helmet for that matter). The only person they are potentially hurting is themselves. .
His wife and or family may have a vested interest in him surviving an accident and I'm sure his insurance company might want to know as well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
His wife and or family may have a vested interest in him surviving an accident and I'm sure his insurance company might want to know as well.

That is a different argument for a different forum.IMHO it's between him, and whomever he chooses to ivolve in that decision, but again, that debate is for another place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, touchy subject.

I would also like to know, and it has nothing to do with not wanting to wear my seatbelt while driving. There have been a few incidents where I've been in the car while it's idling, and don't need to be reminded to buckle up. (waiting in a parking lot, testing something that requires the car to be running, listening to the stereo, staying warm while waiting for someone, etc).

Why wouldn't they just have the chime enable only once the car is in drive, anyway?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lets understand that this is built into the safety features of this car, intended to remind the driver and forward passenger to wear their seat belts. Any advice given on this forum on how to disable this and/or any other safety device intended to save someone's life is purely irresponsible. If anyone wishes to continue to proceed in disabling these safety devices, they should consult a repair manual and learn to do this "AT THEIR OWN RISK". Period.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/seatbelt_laws.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/outreach/state_laws-belts04/safeylaws-states.htm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.