Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first, I love my Malibu, but I am having a bit of a problem.

Has anyone else had any issues with the seats making their backs hurt?

I realize that I am almost 47 but after driving Boo for a while, I get out bent over like an old man.

·
CMF Honorary Member
982 Posts
Has anyone else had any issues with the seats making their backs hurt?
I'm 60 and don't have back problems from the 'Bu. However, after about 2hrs my butt hurts. Keep playing with the power seat position until you find just the right spot.

Are you very tall? I'm only 5'8", maybe it makes a difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently experienced the opposite of 'jwmcgee1'.

I'm 64, have occasional lower back discomfort, and, last weekend, drove a one-day-trip from DC to Nashville (750 miles +/-) in our 2LT. Patricia and I commented MANY times how "comfortable" we were for the, roughly, 11 hours we were in the car. (We shared driving.)

The car was comfortable, quiet, 'road worthy' on the interstate, economical, and having XM was wonderful. The only downside was my not using the "turn-by-turn" navigation on 'On Star'. (We got lost several times in the DC area.)

We obviously got to DC the same way the week before. Within the week I added 1500 miles on the odometer, and it was all a pleasant driving experience.

I'm very pleased with my Malibu! It does all I expect of it . . . and more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I could say that my 'bu was not the problem, but I ran around in my Enclave today and had no problems. Went for a short drive in my malibu and was in a lot of pain when I got out.

I guess I may not be able to keep my malibu. :-(

·
Registered
290 Posts
Maybe you should try adjusting the back to be slightly more angled downward, or even forward. I actually have mine set slightly further upwards than I usually do, but it seems to hug my back so well that I do not complain having to sit up straight.

·
Registered
201 Posts
To be real, I think a lot of people sit unproperly in their vehicles. I mean, unproperly for their form.

You should have your back and bottom (no ****) on the back of the seat with your back straight.

And obviously you'll either pull the pedals closer to you or push your seat closer to the pedals for a comfortable leg reach.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I would definately try adjusting your lumbar support, it sounds like you have it inflated too much which is putting undue pressure on your back. Also like said above make sure you seat is more vertical than reclined. Hope you can find a happy spot, as it would be sad to see you have to get rid of your Bu' because of this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Believe me, I have tried everything. :-(

Now to be fair, I am 6' and about 280lbs so I am not exactly what you call small.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm 6' 240 and have to say that this is one of the most comfortable car seats I have ever sat in! I am so glad that the sides wrap slightly and it has the lumbar support. (just my 2 cents, probably doesn't help your issue)

p.s. My grandfather who is fairly large prefers bench seats to bucket seats for comfort...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am afraid that the problem may be the fact that I am too wide for the smaller bucket seats that this car has. When I am in my Enclave, I don't have the problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2005 Bu with no lumbar support and the seat hurts my back. I'm 6'2" and it's like the small of my back doesn't even touch the seat. Some of us have a little more curve to our back. I have to put a small pillow behind me. Our 2001 Impala has the adjustable lumbar support and it's great. What our my chances of finding a used seat with lumbar support that matches?

·
Registered
134 Posts
To be real, I think a lot of people sit unproperly in their vehicles. I mean, unproperly for their form.

You should have your back and bottom (no ****) on the back of the seat with your back straight.

And obviously you'll either pull the pedals closer to you or push your seat closer to the pedals for a comfortable leg reach.
Sorry but that "no ****" term is the stupidest, most in denial comment I've heard (it's obviously brought up because you know you're saying something potentially ****-erotic).

Anyway, sorry for the O/T.

I roll up an old jacket right under my lower back, and it works great. I drive my Malibu on my 600 Mile per week work trips, and I feel fine. I also am very tall (6'4), and although just 27, I feel lower back pains if I test it too much. My E-Class has Dynamic Seats, which have like 10+ inflation settings for your back, Massage, etc. and even having that, the Malibu's seats, although nothing amazing, with a little bunched up piece of jacket under my back keeps it feeling OK. Also don't forget, the Bu's have a lumbar support adjustment, which I've found to be OK at best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.