Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Self Repair Window Chips?

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Have any of you repaired a small window chip yourself? There doesn't appear to be any cracks, but I can feel it running my finger over the spot. It's very small and shallow, thankfully. It's far enough out of my line of sight I could let it be, but I know with time it will tend to ruin the wiper blade running over it repeatedly. I guess there's also the risk of water freezing in it and causing cracks during colder weather...

#5 · (Edited)
Unfortunately I could be required to leave to fix stuff at a client's site at a moment's notice, so I'm better off just going there at a scheduled time for 30 minutes... Safelite only gives 4 hour windows they'll come by.

Safelite wouldn't touch it. They say it's a deep scratch but not a chip. Thankfully it's to the right of the field of view so it isn't an annoyance. The tech also found a couple more scratches. I liked their honesty, and he said the repair does not equal a like-new window and "opening it up" only compromises the glass. At the rate they're doing roadwork around here, I'll eventually end up with something causing a full windshield repair anyway. :cool:

#6 ·
If you ever want to replace the windshield, be careful that you get an OEM windshield, if possible. I had to replace it in my old, '09, and I learned that there were two factors to consider. First, as I understand it, the OEM windshield is thicker than average, and helps to cut back on noise in the cabin. Second, make sure the tint is the same as the original, including the darker tinting across the top. My replacement did not have the same upper tint, and it pissed me off. I ended trading the '09 for a '13 a few months later, so my problem was solved that way. Had I kept it, I would have taken it in for tinting on top.

#8 ·
I'm on my 3rd Gen7 and none of them have come with tint or shade at the top of the windshield. Did yours?

#10 · (Edited)
No tint on the top of the windshield on our 13 either. We did have the tint shop put a strip on there however.
The 06 Malibu we had before, also did not have any windshield tint strip.

#11 ·
It was directed at joelw but anyone can say what they have.

#12 ·
On my '09 LTZ there was a dark strip along the entire top of the windshield, similar to the darkened area surrounding the base of the rear view mirror. It may have not been actual "tinting", but it did have the effect of blocking some of the sunlight. There was a thread on this topic located at http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9549. The replacement did not have this strip, and I took it to the dealer to compare with the OEM glass. The difference was immediately apparent. My eyes are extremely sensitive to light due to a medical condition, so not having this "tint" was very annoying to me.

#13 ·
It is not available from the factory. You will have to have a tinting shop install new tint to get that feature.

When I get tint in the car I just purchased I am gonna see about having the windshield done. The last time I asked they said it would look like a frown and I don't want that. So maybe I'll buy some from them and do it myself. I'm not afraid to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.