Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone my girlfriend just picked up a 2.4 L 2010 Malibu LT and she is getting a Light coming on when she starts the car saying Service Air Bag. Does anyone know what this means, Is one not working?? I have a OBD Scanner but havent tried plugging it in, Is that something that would throw a code?
Thanks for your help.
Chris and Erin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry just saw you have other threads on this issue, does anybody have a copy of the recall on this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone my girlfriend just picked up a 2.4 L 2010 Malibu LT and she is getting a Light coming on when she starts the car saying Service Air Bag. Does anyone know what this means, Is one not working?? I have a OBD Scanner but havent tried plugging it in, Is that something that would throw a code?
Thanks for your help.
Chris and Erin.
I have a 2011 that does the same thing. Pretty annoying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
My 2011 just did this the other day, then 2 days later the light went out and I did nothing to affect it other than drive the car.

I believe it is related to the very warm (75-90F) temps and the high humidity (dewpoints above 65F), since it cured itself, so to speak, when the temps and humidity went down. I could be off-base, but with 114K miles on this car, purchased with 56K, it has never shown that light before.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
CODES . Nothing can be properly repaired on any modern car without reading the codes. Warning light on, it set a code.
A full function scan tool is just as important as hand tools nowadays.
Which airbag? Which sensor? Front airbag driver or pass. , side curtain, left or right, front or rear, seat sensor, seatbelt pretensioner, etc. . The list is long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just received this letter from Chevrolet:

This notice applies to your vehicle, VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
As the owner of a 2010 model year Chevrolet Malibu, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2010 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles may have a condition where the front seat side impact airbag (SIAB) connectors under the seat may experience small relative movement between the pins and sockets. DTC's related to SIAB wiring connectors may be found even with product improvements implemented at the assembly plant or through previous completion of Customer Satisfaction Recalls 10085 (May, 2010) or 11034 (May, 2011).
Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.
What we have done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2010 Chevrolet Malibu within 10 years of the date that your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.
What you should do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a Chevrolet Dealer.
Reimbursement: If you have paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. The completed form and documents must be presented by April 30, 2019.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just received this letter from Chevrolet:

This notice applies to your vehicle, VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
As the owner of a 2010 model year Chevrolet Malibu, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2010 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles may have a condition where the front seat side impact airbag (SIAB) connectors under the seat may experience small relative movement between the pins and sockets. DTC's related to SIAB wiring connectors may be found even with product improvements implemented at the assembly plant or through previous completion of Customer Satisfaction Recalls 10085 (May, 2010) or 11034 (May, 2011).
Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.
What we have done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2010 Chevrolet Malibu within 10 years of the date that your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.
What you should do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a Chevrolet Dealer.
Reimbursement: If you have paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. The completed form and documents must be presented by April 30, 2019.
Hmm....So I guess 2011's are out of luck! I have a 2011 that has started to do this, I bought the car used 68 000 KM on it and 5 weeks later the symptoms described in the original post started. Funny thing is, I got rear ended at a stop light and Service light went out and stayed out.....problem solved! lol. Nope, 2 months later symptoms returned and light is on constantly, it really is quite annoying! If anyone has a copy of the letter that was sent could they post the entire letter, I want to copy it and go complain to my local GM dealer......guess it can't hurt to give it a try. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Mike1973
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing