Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I lost power steering while driving. Does anyone know if this is covered under a recall? I got pulled over and stopped called a tow truck when the tow truck driver started it back up the power steering worked again. I don't understand. My car is a 2012 Chevy Malibu with 79,000 mi on it.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Chevy has an extended coverage for certain electric assisted steering issues for 10 yrs / 150k miles. The time starts when the car was first purchased and ''put into service'' date.
Chevrolet dealer is the only one who can certify if your car is covered and do the repair for free providing your problem is a covered component.

Reactions: campb292

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chevy has an extended coverage for certain electric assisted steering issues for 10 yrs / 150k miles. The time starts when the car was first purchased and ''put into service'' date.
Chevrolet dealer is the only one who can certify if your car is covered and do the repair for free providing your problem is a covered component.
GM told me that the time for me to get mine fixed ran out last April. But the problem never came up until last Wednesday the 27th.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same problem. I have a 2008 luckily I was able to get mine replaced under the recall. To me the should still do recall if part is defective, but they put time limits on them. I use to notified on any recalls I don't know if they even do that anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Did you buy the car new from that dealer or are a regular service customer? If so maybe, you can negotiate something. Good dealers will try to work with a regular customer, mine helped me when my '09 was a little over the mileage limit. It wouldn't hurt to reach out to the corporate Chevy Customer care listed in your owner's manual also if dealer's hands are tied do to the in-service date.
This is not a recall coverage but a customer satisfaction coverage extension as the car stills steers but it's just harder to steer. It's not a total loss of manual steering but a loss of power assisted steering. I know it stinks but that's how they define recalls.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,245 Posts
I would follow @repairman54's advice and try contacting Chevy Customer Assistance. There is a small chance they will show some mercy on it. Since the program referenced here isn't a recall there is a set period of coverage. Someone somewhere decided the part should last longer than the basic warranty but shouldn't necessarily be a forever part.

Here is a copy of the Special Coverage Adjustment related to the torque sensor / EPS motor (car would still need diagnosis): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10089834-2280.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same problem. I have a 2008 luckily I was able to get mine replaced under the recall. To me the should still do recall if part is defective, but they put time limits on them. I use to notified on any recalls I don't know if they even do that anymore.
I think there is one place that you can sign up on where they will send you any recall notices but I can't remember what it is. But I did file a formal complaint with the NHTSA and they are going to investigate it. They are sending me paperwork to fill out.

·
Registered
2010 Malibu 2LT and 2012 Malibu 1LT
6 Posts
The position sensor went out on my 2012 in 2016 and fell within the time & mileage limits so the closest GM (Cadillac, Buick, GMC) dealer replaced at least the sensor, maybe more under warranty.
Fast forward to earlier this year and the tell-tale twitching of the steering wheel showed up again. With 190,000 miles on it, I was outside the extended warranty. Did my research, bought a new GM sensor from Rock Auto for $143 plus shipping and sales tax. Followed the instructions in a YouTube video, borrowed a Snap-On Zeus from a friend to re-calibrate the sensor. Good until it quits again!
Not a fun repair by any means, remove the drivers seat and it would be a more comfortable process. What I did discover while doing it was that even a Cadillac-Buick-GMC dealer has techs that are hacks. Parts were not put back together in the proper order and several of the plastic parts that need to be carefully removed were not.🤬 Several glued together pieces! One more reason to know or learn how to do repairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had same problem where it showed steering on the display for about 2 seconds. I was on the expressway, driving straight at 65 mph when happened, but steering worked ok. I remember a service bulletin about steering problems received in the mail . I went to a local GM dealer showed them the service bulletin, and they replaced the steering module and sensor at no cost under the service bulletin.
They broke plastic on steering column cover and bottom of dash. A few weeks after the repair I went to open the hood and couldn't open the hood because they put the bottom of the dash over the hood release. I went back to them and they fixed the dash and had a new top steering column cover put on.
bought new in 2010 2011 Malibu LS 2.4 engine 39000 miles December of 2018 when problem happened.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts