Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my 2011 Malibu LT. It will randomly read "service traction" and "reduced engine power". I have had the car for only 3 weeks and had to have it towed with the dealer plates still on it last weekend. They said they fixed some of the terminals but this morning it happened again. Its in the shop for a second time and they are replacing the throttle body...Extremely frustrating and dangerous...as it happened the second time right before I was going on the freeway...Anybody else have this issue and how it got fixed?

·
Banned
2,076 Posts
Anybody else have this issue and how it got fixed?
Have you searched around on here a little?

That sounds strangely familiar......and an unusual combination of symptoms, I think.

It might be a symptom of a general electrical failure.....ie. low voltage due to a bad battery, loose connections or failed charging system (but that is somewhat of a guess).

It sounds to me like they are making wild guesses too. :(

I strongly urge you to NOT take it back from them until they can drive it for 100 miles or 3 days without the failure happening again.

You might ask them if they have done a thorough search of their "service bulletins". Believe it or not, sometimes they don't.

·
ASE Certified Technician
1,448 Posts
I am having problems with my 2011 Malibu LT. It will randomly read "service traction" and "reduced engine power". I have had the car for only 3 weeks and had to have it towed with the dealer plates still on it last weekend. They said they fixed some of the terminals but this morning it happened again. Its in the shop for a second time and they are replacing the throttle body...Extremely frustrating and dangerous...as it happened the second time right before I was going on the freeway...Anybody else have this issue and how it got fixed?
Without knowing which codes it popped I can only speculate but that "engine power reduced" message comes from the throttle actuator control (TAC) system & is often resolved by replacing the throttle body assy. The "service traction" message is set for a long list of problems. It is typically set in response to a primary issue. In your case, a TAC problem.

·
ASE Certified Technician
3,076 Posts
If you're having TAC problems, there are no guaranteed solutions. There are throttle position sensor problems sometimes, which is serviced as part of the throttle body ususally. There have been terminal crimp problems from time to time and there have been wiring issues between the throttle body and the ECM. The problem when it occurs usually doesn't stay current very long. It fails for a brief moment and then works again. The car won't clear itself until you cycle the ignition OFF and ON, it's designed that way.

As for driving the vehicle for 3 days or 100 miles, that may sound good to some of you but there are people that freak if you put 5 miles on their car. Even if you drive it a month and a thousand miles, there are no guarantees. MK with all the codes we have and all the computer controls available to us, unfortunately you do sometimes have to go with your best hunch/guess/shotgun to try to fix the car. How do you diagnose a concern that you see for one single frame of data on a snapshot of data? I know it's fun to bash the tech working on the car and call him an idiot when he doesn't fix it, but I haven't yet found a repair person in any field that nails it 100% of the time.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
As of today, how are things going with your Malibu?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything seems to be fine now but I've only had the car back for 3 days. They put in a new throttle body and checked wires/terminals. They said GM put out a bulletin for this problem which confirms there has been newer cars with the same issue.:(

·
Banned
2,076 Posts
I know it's fun to bash the tech working on the car and call him an idiot when he doesn't fix it, but I haven't yet found a repair person in any field that nails it 100% of the time.
I think you will find that I deal out harsh criticism pretty carefully.

The only "mechanics" I consider idiots are those who say: " There are no codes set so obviously there is NOT a problem"........as he stands beside a car that is shuddering and blowing smoke out the back. :eek:

Milder criticism comes a bit easier though. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
This sounds like the same problem my Malibu is currently in the shop for. I've been discussing it on another thread. I got a P2135 CEL code on mine. I hope yours is still running smooth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently ha in this problem with my 2008 Malibu and we haven't found d anything wrong nor any codes. Both my mechanic and the dealership agree this is likely a problem with the engine wiring harness, but I was hoping to look online to see if anyone had resolved it and there seems to be no definite answer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm also having this same problem, all the eating lights come on, my car completely loses power, and the battery is dead!? It throws codes but when the battery dies it resets the codes. I wonder if it could be the the throttle body!? Just don't want to start throwing parts at it till it's finally fixed a few thousand $$ later!

Warning lights ***

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently dealing with this issue. So right now i am in the process of having gm review this because to me this is was a manufacturing issue that is not our fault to where we would have to pay for this because there shouldnt be anything wrong with our newer cars. I have a 2011 malibu and i am recieving the same message which is the throttle sensor. I seriously am trying to find people with the same issue in order for them to take a look at this and give us a well deserved recall on the car... And to repay any consumers for what they have paid in repairs. If you are one of those people please let me know and also call 1800-222-1020 place your complaint so they can take this seriously and provide us a new car

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am currently dealing with this issue. So right now i am in the process of having gm review this because to me this is was a manufacturing issue that is not our fault to where we would have to pay for this because there shouldnt be anything wrong with our newer cars. I have a 2011 malibu and i am recieving the same message which is the throttle sensor. I seriously am trying to find people with the same issue in order for them to take a look at this and give us a well deserved recall on the car... And to repay any consumers for what they have paid in repairs. If you are one of those people please let me know and also call 1800-222-1020 place your complaint so they can take this seriously and provide us a new car
Had the same issue. Paid about $500 to replace the throttle body. Called the GM 800 number in the back of my owners manual and asked them to open a "Case number", and explained my dissatifaction with this (only have 62k miles). GM contacted my dealer, and the dealer reimbursed me about $400 of my repair ticket. I was satisfied, and as a result, will continue to buy GM products! It never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 Malibu with only 51,000 miles on it! Got the same message, "reduced engine power", "traction", etc. I just paid $110 for a new accelerator pedal position sensor, which the dealer let me know that I could NOT bring back once I had hooked it up. This problem is WIDESPREAD across all years and makes. Really disghusting that GM has not recalled this. I am so tired of this stuff. I have purchased GM products my entire life. I will NEVER make that mistake again. Sorry, for being so negative about this, but it truly is ridiculous. They have these electrical parts made in China as cheaply as they can to maximize their profits, while quality goes right out the window, and we are the ones left holding the bag! Get off your rearends GM and do something about this.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,434 Posts
I have a 2012 Malibu with only 51,000 miles on it! Got the same message, "reduced engine power", "traction", etc. I just paid $110 for a new accelerator pedal position sensor, which the dealer let me know that I could NOT bring back once I had hooked it up. This problem is WIDESPREAD across all years and makes. Really disghusting that GM has not recalled this. I am so tired of this stuff. I have purchased GM products my entire life. I will NEVER make that mistake again. Sorry, for being so negative about this, but it truly is ridiculous. They have these electrical parts made in China as cheaply as they can to maximize their profits, while quality goes right out the window, and we are the ones left holding the bag! Get off your rearends GM and do something about this.
You'll find a comment I made to your other post. You're just as upset as the rest of us who've experienced this, and have every right to be.

·
Registered
52 Posts
so here is my question to you all, im having the same issue and cannot seem to find the problem to the issue. my question is when you car completely shuts off and dies, does it drain your battery, and need to be jumped!? I've put a new alternator and battery in it, and my problem is still persisting. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Hi JamesSmith,

I do apologize for the frustration caused. GM takes comments like this very seriously, and we have documented the feedback within our database. Please let us know if the issue persists. We would be happy to assist in a resolution.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Hi Schragman1,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your vehicle! Have you spoken with your local dealership regarding the concern? Please feel free to send a private message so we may further assist in a resolution.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

so here is my question to you all, im having the same issue and cannot seem to find the problem to the issue. my question is when you car completely shuts off and dies, does it drain your battery, and need to be jumped!? I've put a new alternator and battery in it, and my problem is still persisting. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi JamesSmith,

I do apologize for the frustration caused. GM takes comments like this very seriously, and we have documented the feedback within our database. Please let us know if the issue persists. We would be happy to assist in a resolution.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Jessica, Today I took the car to Auto Zone and they ran a code check. The car popped 17 codes!!! Two of them were multiple hits (3 each). The check engine light stays on, and for some reason, the electronic ignition will not work now. I will list the codes for anyone that has experience with them.
P0171 (3x's), PO107, PO113, PO122, PO223, PO300 (3x's), P1682, P2122, P2123, P2127, CO561, CO242.

When I lock the door and try to engage the electronic ignition, it just flashes the parking lights and doesn't start.

I unhooked the MAF sensor and the car runs near perfectly, but the check engine light remains on, and the auto ignition still doesn't work, and it gives the same messages, "ESC Service", etc.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,434 Posts
Search the forum for "fretting corrosion" and see if that helps you. It could be that simple, or it could be more involved.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Hi JamesSmith,

Thanks for the update. So sorry to hear about these concerns! I see from your first post that you had spoken with your dealership prior to visiting Auto Zone. I would like to speak further with the dealership so we may proceed in a resolution as they are our eyes and ears in the field. Please send us a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of involved dealership so we may assist. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Jessica, Today I took the car to Auto Zone and they ran a code check. The car popped 17 codes!!! Two of them were multiple hits (3 each). The check engine light stays on, and for some reason, the electronic ignition will not work now. I will list the codes for anyone that has experience with them.
P0171 (3x's), PO107, PO113, PO122, PO223, PO300 (3x's), P1682, P2122, P2123, P2127, CO561, CO242.

When I lock the door and try to engage the electronic ignition, it just flashes the parking lights and doesn't start.

I unhooked the MAF sensor and the car runs near perfectly, but the check engine light remains on, and the auto ignition still doesn't work, and it gives the same messages, "ESC Service", etc.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts