Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, so I'm thinking of some little mods to do to my new Malibu before I splurge on new wheels. There's really only 3 other things I want to do, and 2 of those are tint the windows (20% all the way around) and order some bumper plugs (fyi Eric at Bumper Plugs said that the perfect match for those of us with Imperial Blue is Cobalt Metallic Blue).

The other thing I'm interested in doing is getting one of these VG Shark Fin Antennas. The lines of the Malibu look a lot like the lines on an Infiniti M series, and I think it would look sharp.

http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Overview.html

I didn't see the Chevy Malibu on the list of cars, so I sent an email to ask them if it would fit our cars...I'm waiting to hear back. What is everyone's thoughts on these?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the exact same idea. But after I perused through ebay's various shark fin antennas, none of them would fit over the existing antenna we have on the roof. It's just not the right shape to fit the shark fin over it. I didn't intend to take off the existing antenna - maybe we should look into whether the guts would fit into a shark fin and still work fine?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the exact same idea. But after I perused through ebay's various shark fin antennas, none of them would fit over the existing antenna we have on the roof. It's just not the right shape to fit the shark fin over it. I didn't intend to take off the existing antenna - maybe we should look into whether the guts would fit into a shark fin and still work fine?
I put a shark fin on my last car and I had to take off the the existing antenna in order to use the new antenna for signals. I would be curious how the xm signal would work with something covering it, does anyone know where the xm antenna is located?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Does GM not still put the antenna in the rear window, and than like said above the black antenna is actually for OnStar and XM?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The big question in my mind is whether the antenna guts can be functional hiding inside of a $10.00 shark fin cover or whether it needs that 3" antenna upright...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the response I got from VG...seems like this may be a bit of a project, but I'll probably work on it when I have time.

Thanks for your inquiry!

We currently don’t have your car listed as an option on our website because we normally sell for cars that have a rear-roof center mounted antenna. Does your car have a rear-roof antenna as well?

If it does, we’ll need to determine the size of the antenna base and also the curvature of the roof where the antenna will sit, since our shark fin antennas are curved so that they sit flush with the roof. Even if your car doesn’t have a rear-roof antenna (ie: has its antenna built into the rear window), you can utilize our product for looks only or also as a cover for the micro-type of satellite antenna.

In both cases, we will need to see pictures of your roofline from the side profile at eye level at the location where you plan to mount the antenna. Also, please have a ruler with its edge flat on the roof so that we have something to reference to and measure against. This will help us to determine if it is possible to provide fitment for your car or not.

Also, because this car isn't one that we normally sell for, we won't be able to provide painting service unless its one of the colors already available on another car that is listed on our website, but will be able to provide it unpainted for $15 less, if we can provide a fitment for you.

Please check our page on antenna compatibility as well: http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Antenna_Fitment.html

Any other questions, please feel free to let me know!

Regards,

Arthur

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you happen to have the link to the cars and colors he currently services?

·
Registered
701 Posts
malibulldanny - So are you going to take on this project than for us? If so, this is greatly appreciated. Keep us informed as to how you make out.

Cheers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought a sharkfin from VG for my Mazda 3 and the quality was great, my only concen with putting it on the malibu is that the signal quality would be lost because you obviously would have to cut down the piece that sticks up highest. It would be nice to see what functions that piece does and what is inside it to see if it would make a huge difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
malibulldanny - So are you going to take on this project than for us? If so, this is greatly appreciated. Keep us informed as to how you make out.

Cheers.
I'm planning on trying to get the pictures they need this weekend so I can send them in to VG and see what they say. I'll keep you guys in the loop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a sharkfin from VG for my Mazda 3 and the quality was great, my only concen with putting it on the malibu is that the signal quality would be lost because you obviously would have to cut down the piece that sticks up highest. It would be nice to see what functions that piece does and what is inside it to see if it would make a huge difference.
Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that part. I was hoping that it would maybe just unscrew from the base, but that's not the case. That will be a trial and error experiment

·
Registered
701 Posts
malibulldanny....Thank you....Greatly appreciated....Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, I just noticed some new Caddys and Buicks running around with a new roof antenna that is closer looking to the shark fin we know and want. It's probably the same part for the Malibu. I don't have any GM contacts, anyone else care to look into it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.