Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

201 - 220 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a used Chevrolet Malibu one week ago from a dealer and it is now showing this problem.
The car has 38,000 miles on it so it's just off the 3-year warranty and I don't want to pay $700 to get it fixed.
The used car dealer has a 90-day warranty that covers the electrical, engine and brake systems.
Does anyone know whether this would be covered under such a warranty?

Capture.PNG

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,853 Posts
I bought a used Chevrolet Malibu one week ago from a dealer and it is now showing this problem.
The car has 38,000 miles on it so it's just off the 3-year warranty and I don't want to pay $700 to get it fixed.
The used car dealer has a 90-day warranty that covers the electrical, engine and brake systems.
Does anyone know whether this would be covered under such a warranty?

View attachment 67117
Step 1:
Call a dealer about this. It might be covered.

If not, Step 2:
Call the dealer you bought it from. We aren't them and can't speak for them.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,445 Posts
I'd tell them about the bulletin number referenced in this thread snd show them pictures of the error message. Technically, a dealer must verify the problem to fix it under warranty. Most are able to verify or trust you and say they verified. If a low end dealer, they refuse to verify and send you on your way. In that case, call Chevy customer assistance.

Reactions: porqupine

·
Registered
22 Posts
Add me to the Shift Into Park list. 17 Malibu Premier 32K km. Just started today.
I also have the "Steering Assist Reduced" msgs (mostly in stop and go traffic) - and I used to have the adaptive cruise control shut down occasionally but for whatever reason, has not acted up for several months.
I REALLY don't like these electronic, sporadic gremlins that "can't be reproduced".
I generally really enjoy the car however these issues are tarnishing the experience.

·
Registered
38 Posts
my 2017 is malibu now says shift into park when i turn the ignition off. so i phoned the dealer and they told me its a software issue but i downloaded the service bulletin last night will gm pay for it my car has 62000 miles

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,445 Posts
@porqupine

Obviously if there is a new software update it is an update to disable the message if triggered. I haven't seen a new bulletin changing the fix from shifter replacement to software update but it is possible. As long as it satisfies safety or design requirements GM could easily disable the notification and it is likely cheaper. It would be especially useful if the replacement shifter secondary switches are also failing but I haven't read of that here.

At 62K no warranty applies. GM covering it will be up to GM or your dealer's good faith discretion considering the bulletin and wide spread nature of the issue.

Reactions: porqupine

·
Registered
22 Posts
Add me to the Shift Into Park list. 17 Malibu Premier 32K km. Just started today.
I also have the "Steering Assist Reduced" msgs (mostly in stop and go traffic) - and I used to have the adaptive cruise control shut down occasionally but for whatever reason, has not acted up for several months.
I REALLY don't like these electronic, sporadic gremlins that "can't be reproduced".
I generally really enjoy the car however these issues are tarnishing the experience.
The message is actually "Shift To (not into) Park". Local dealer repaired within 2 hours of my service appointment. TSB 18-NA-297 in hand helped. The correction description on my service (warranty) invoice says " Found that transmission control faulting electronically. Replaced transmission control w/o base. Checked for proper operation and all OK".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shift to park!!! So been having the same issues as many other owners are having with their Mailibu's. 2017 model and there are more times than none that it registers (shift to park) yet it is in park. I have to keep messing with the shifter until it releases! Now, the only warranty I have left is obviously the powertrain which I was told has nothing to do with this well known issue! I was always a fan of this make of vehicle (Since the day I seen police driving it), now I am about to run out and trade her in for a Dodge. We have always been fans of Chevy, but seeing that I still owe over 17,000 on her and I have to pay for an issue that Chevy is aware of, I think that I am slowly contemplating switching not only models but makers as well. Totally disappointed, if the car is doing this now (it only as 42,000 on it) whats to say that the AutoStop will not disable the whole vehicle eventually. I want to know why there is not a recall on this! Why is it that the Chevy dealer in St. Clairsville, Ohio, is more than aware of the issue and wants to charge me 110 just to look at an issue they are already aware of? Then I will have to pay upwards of 700.00 to have a known issue fixed. C'mon Chevy get it together. This is my second Malibu, and little to say I am definitely "as of now" not impressed. Please get a recall for this, it can become a bigger issue in the long run. I was late for work by 10 minutes because my car would not lock because of this message. It is important that I have my car lock seeing that I work as a Correctional Officer. Please help a girl and many other buyers out. Get this fixed!!

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,445 Posts
Hello @Ascott and welcome. You have experienced a common issue. There have been several forum members (some of which posted in this thread and the other shift to park thread) that negotiated the out of warranty dealer price down to $150 for this repair. Your dealer needs to contact GM for this and/or you need to escalate to the service manager and then Chevrolet Customer Assistance. Another user Ed Grimm recently posted videos of a DIY fix disassembling the shifter and bending the switch that sends the P confirmation to the ECM or BCM (whichever controls the DIC notification). That may or may not be a long term fix since the switch is already weak or loose and it was just posted a month ago. Another option is an independent shop which a couple users have had perform the replacement for about $250. The part itself is $80 at sites like gmpartsdirect and theoretically could be a DIY project. A couple users have done that. My shifter failed under warranty - if I was out of warranty and it failed again, I would choose the independent shop.

So there is no confusion, this is not an official means of contacting GM/Chevy. There were some reps that frequented but I haven't seen any post publicly since 2017. Reps may still browse but it doesn't seem any action flows from things posted here. As for a recall, some safety issue would need to be demonstrated. The car is in park if P is illuminated next to the shifter; it just isn't receiving that notification because of that secondary switch. At this point, GM doesn't seem concerned about the inconvenience or upset owners.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2017 Malibu LS 22,000 miles just started this issue yesterday. Has happened each of the last 4 times I have driven the car. I made an appointment. Going to try to not say anything about service bulletins and hopefully they will get it figured out without a fight. I will let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Going to try to not say anything about service bulletins and hopefully they will get it figured out without a fight. I will let you all know what happens.
Why would you not? That will cut out 80% of the screwing around and help you get it fixed right the first time.

Your call, but that’s half the battle with fixing things, figuring out the root cause.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue of a shift to park malfunction. See videos 1-4 for the simple cure.
No need to replace the shifter.

Thanks.. I started getting this error a few days ago and it rapidly went to happening 99% of the time. My GF 2014 Camaro had the "key stuck in ignition" problem which is probably the exact same issue... My car is 2.5years old but has 52k miles on it.. I drive about 65 miles a day to and from work. I believe GM should recall the vehicle and fix this since it happens across so many vehicles and shouldn't happen. hopefully they will get better built parts in the future. The only trouble I had was trying to remove the shifter knob... not sure how to get that off.. I don't want to pull on the wrong part and break something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally made an appointment to take my 2017 Malibu premier in for what has been going on for almost 8 months now. The shift into park would happen every now and then but as the months went by its happening just about every time I turn the car off. Parts are on order in was told the repair will take 2 hours to complete. Try to hold off as long as possible just don't like the idea of the center console being removed to fix the problem but was re- assured everything will be okay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2017 Malibu LS 22,000 miles just started this issue yesterday. Has happened each of the last 4 times I have driven the car. I made an appointment. Going to try to not say anything about service bulletins and hopefully they will get it figured out without a fight. I will let you all know what happens.
Well, they fixed it. It only took two trips as per normal with my dealer. Was happening 100% of time..."Confirmed customer concern shift to park displayed. Performed visual inspection, found nothing relating. Performed diagnostic system check, found nothing relating. Found Bulletin 18-NA-297 Relating to concern. Recommend replacement of shift lever control. Replaced shift control, verified operation. Verified no shift to park warning. Verified fix of customer concern. Parts: 1 13520828".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been dealing with this issue off and on for the last 2 years. It hasn't gotten any worse, but it does go for weeks without an issue. I have a new issue now though, and I wonder if it could be related in some way. I tried to start my car this morning and it just clicked. My husband thought it was the battery, but as soon as he opened the hood it stopped and turned over. The A/C was blowing full blast (but the dial was turned to the OFF position). It blew full blast all the way to work. Also, a stabilitrak warning came on, but was turned off as soon as I set my cruise control. The final thing that occurred was all of my programmed radio stations were cleared to 0.0.

I checked it at lunch and had the same clicking as before, only the A/C worked fine, the stabilitrak warning did not come back on, and the radio stations reprogrammed. It makes me wonder if this is all a computer issue and not the shifter at all. Thoughts?

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,445 Posts
@MalibuOwner2016 those oddities suggest to me two problems. The shifter I bet is a separate issue and is the same issue everyone in this thread has experienced. It seems yours is quite intermittent and you have been accepting it. Personally I would have had it replaced under warranty but if it doesn't bother you that is a personal decision. With the other symptoms... difficulty starting, random warning lights (no codes I assume?), and reset radio stations would make me wonder about the battery. Other causes are possible such as a pinched harness, loose connector, bcm or ecm... etc but battery would be my first guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a follow up about my problem with the shift into park on my 2017 Malibu premier. It's now been a week since they fixed that annoying problem and it's so wonderful to turn the car off and have everything shut off. The dealership was fantastic with the repair and only took 90 minutes to complete the job. The service manager did let me in on some thing I didn't know, he told me that this problem unfortunately is widespread throughout the GM line up. 2016 to 2019 most models some more then others .

201 - 220 of 330 Posts