Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

221 - 240 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
@MalibuOwner2016 those oddities suggest to me two problems. The shifter I bet is a separate issue and is the same issue everyone in this thread has experienced. It seems yours is quite intermittent and you have been accepting it. Personally I would have had it replaced under warranty but if it doesn't bother you that is a personal decision. With the other symptoms... difficulty starting, random warning lights (no codes I assume?), and reset radio stations would make me wonder about the battery. Other causes are possible such as a pinched harness, loose connector, bcm or ecm... etc but battery would be my first guess.
I took it in after the first time it did the "Shift to Park" warning, but it was already past the warranty and they only replaced my key fob...not even the issue but cost me $75. They couldn't replicate the "Shift to Park" so they said they couldn't do anything about it if they can't replicate it. That was about 2 years ago. I am almost at 100,000 miles. My battery voltage is running between 12v to 14v, so my husband doesn't think it's the battery, but willing to have it checked. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with a recent oil change I had. It started running rough after that, so I wonder if something got pinched during that. Thank you for the feedback. I will keep looking into the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad i found this, My 2017 Malibu LT just started doing this on my at 25,000. Although I've only seen it maybe 4 times so far. probably best i see the dealer.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,445 Posts
My 2017 just started doing this just after 32K miles GM says To Bad! "Should have bought a better car" Thanks GM!
Are you over the 3 years to receive a free warranty repair? I didn't think 2017s were sold in August 2016.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 Malibu just started doing this. Dealer said they have seen it before but it wasn't common. The know what needs to be replaced (the shifter or shifter solenoid?) and told me the part alone is about $600(!) I'm at 42K miles, just out of my bumper to bumper warranty (thank you mr. murphy!). I do have the extended warranty, but it has a $100 deductible. I saw somewhere in the thread they were going to make this a recall, but they said there was no recall for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I am new. I have a 2016 Malibu Premier 2.0 (fully loaded), and the dreaded Shift into Park message just started popping up last week. Car has less than 30,000 miles on it and just turned 3 years old in July. We replicate it between hubby and I. but the past 2 days it's not doing it. I have found if you wiggle or tap the shifter after it's in park, sometimes the message will disappear. Is this a warranty repair ?

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,445 Posts
Hi,
I am new. I have a 2016 Malibu Premier 2.0 (fully loaded), and the dreaded Shift into Park message just started popping up last week. Car has less than 30,000 miles on it and just turned 3 years old in July. We replicate it between hubby and I. but the past 2 days it's not doing it. I have found if you wiggle or tap the shifter after it's in park, sometimes the message will disappear. Is this a warranty repair ?
By the book, it is out of bumper to bumper warranty and so far dealers have not covered under the powertrain warranty since the failed component is not internal to the engine, transmission, or other listed part. That said, I would get it to a dealer, explain what has been happening, and beg for leniency. Sometimes GM shows some mercy when under mileage but over the time limitation of the warranty. Start kind, let them go through their process, and escalate only if necessary. Hopefully they just call GM and coverage is approved or at least a deal struck. Perhaps there is even a new program covering the repair; some new ones have been popping up lately. Some owners have had the work done for a compromise price of $150 while others even had GM completely cover it out of warranty. Some have also been hit with the full $700 parts plus labor charge. If escalation is necessary start with the service manager and share the bulletin showing GM is aware and make sure they contact GM. if that fails contact Chevy customer assistance. Hopefully none of that is necessary and they just fix it for free or reasonable cost.

Here is a link to the bulletin since it is probably buried in the discussion: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160118-9999.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
all you need to do is "flick" the trigger on the gear shift and the message goes away. Works 100% on my '17 Malibu..

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,445 Posts
all you need to do is "flick" the trigger on the gear shift and the message goes away. Works 100% on my '17 Malibu..
That can work; as can wiggling it or nudging it forward once in park. This way too long thread (and another that is now closed) have all sorts of temporary workarounds as sometimes the trigger works, sometimes only wiggling works, sometimes nothing works etc. Unfortunately, as a couple users that kept doing various non-repair workarounds found out the hard way, a bad shifter sometimes turns into a dead battery.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My Malibu doesn't do this yet, but while its under warranty,, when I go in for anything, I will tell them that its actually doing it, they will say can not duplicatle, then when it actually does do it out of warranty, there is a record that it was doing it under warranty.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear Malibu owners,

i have a malibu 2018 LT and since 2 days it started giving me the ‘shift to park’ message when i switch off the car although the gwar is already on P
i tried to switch on the engine and again switch it off ...it worked twice but to day unfortunately it didn’t... what should i do? and what are the consequences if not fixed? any realy damage or just this is a technical fault? is it covered under warranty? i live in dubai and i bought it from the agency dealer in Ras Al Khaimah with 5 years GM warranty they said but i am not sure is this fault under this warranty or not?

thank you in advance

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,445 Posts
Hello @mhnd9486 and welcome. Typically, the "shift to park" repair is covered under a bumper to bumper warranty. I am not familiar with international warranty terms so can't make a definite claim. You should contact the dealer of purchase and inquire.

The problem can be benign - a simple annoyance that requires a re-shift to park, wiggling the shifter, or clicking the trigger button to temporarily relieve the problem. Unfortunately, as time progresses some have been unable to use tricks and the car just stops turning off fully thus requiring more inconvenience, repair, and even a tow.

Good luck.

Reactions: mhnd9486

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello @mhnd9486 and welcome. Typically, the "shift to park" repair is covered under a bumper to bumper warranty. I am not familiar with international warranty terms so can't make a definite claim. You should contact the dealer of purchase and inquire.

The problem can be benign - a simple annoyance that requires a re-shift to park, wiggling the shifter, or clicking the trigger button to temporarily relieve the problem. Unfortunately, as time progresses some have been unable to use tricks and the car just stops turning off fully thus requiring more inconvenience, repair, and even a tow.

Good luck.
thank you very much

update:

the battery got depleted and i had to call the recovery to charge it and took it to the workshop... they said it is because of the shift to park fault and they will change the gear sensor and battery which won’t cost me anything except 30 $ for labor work... i asked will it happen again they said no inshallah because the new sensor part is modified
i hope it happens to no one

regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank you very much

update:

the battery got depleted and i had to call the recovery to charge it and took it to the workshop... they said it is because of the shift to park fault and they will change the gear sensor and battery which won’t cost me anything except 30 $ for labor work... i asked will it happen again they said no inshallah because the new sensor part is modified
i hope it happens to no one

regards
Update :

I got the car back
I have seen the mechanic and he said inshallah it won’t happen again and this part has been modified by chevrolet ( i hope it is true)
I paid nothing actually even the labor work they said i will pay for ... today they said nothing you have to pay from your side

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,445 Posts
Update :

I got the car back
I have seen the mechanic and he said inshallah it won’t happen again and this part has been modified by chevrolet ( i hope it is true)
I paid nothing actually even the labor work they said i will pay for ... today they said nothing you have to pay from your side
Great news and thanks for the followup! It does seem at this point the new shifters offer a permanent or at least long term fix. I can't recall any repeat occurrence reports.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,853 Posts
That is such an easy DIY fix. Thanks for sharing!

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,445 Posts
221 - 240 of 330 Posts