Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

261 - 271 of 271 Posts

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
That level of distaste for GM needs to be aimed at them directly. They don't run or own this site, and I kinda doubt that they even monitor it anymore. Their Customer Service team has not posted in years, and even when they did, it was just boilerplate responses. Copy/Paste, change a few words, then post their reply.

Call THEM, discuss it with THEM. We can merely commiserate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks like an ongoing issue and dealers are reluctant to fix. My Chevy Malibu 2014 2lz does the same and its so annoying. I took it to the dealer, the dealer says the technician did not find any error code and it did not happen when the technician wanted to see. The time I gave the car to the dealer with the problem on it even noticed by the service person. It does at least 90 percent of time and I am scared to get out of the car. It looks like the dealer is lingering to have me out of warranty period expired.
Agreed. Had mine in just before 36,000 miles and imagine that.. they couldn't get the problem to act up. Now at 43,000 its happening constantly and I get to pay to fix their issue. Sad since I love every other thing about the car other than this. Buying a new truck and its gonna be a Ford.. thanks Chevy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I began to have this issue at 37k. Of course, just out of warranty. The dealer said "too bad, not covered". We did purchase an extended warranty, but that still leaves me out a $100 deductible. It took a week, but they installed the new wiring harness. Less than 24 hours later, I again had the same issue.

I will be dropping the car off again next week to have the entire shifter changed out. Of course, as we all know, that just means I'll likely have the issue again in another 30-40k miles.

I'm pretty annoyed I had to pay anything and have contacted corporate. I would recommend everyone do the same. If I don't get refunded the deductible, I will be contacting executives directly. Everyone having this issue needs to yell as loud as they can about it. This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thankful for the info in post 2! My Malibu just started doing this, sure glad you guys are here to help! 👍🏼

I stopped at a shopping center the other day and couldn't get the "shift to park" message to stop, tried pushing the shifter forward, side to side, restarted the car about 5 times before I gave up and went home. I didn't want to be out of battery unless it was in my driveway...

So I read in this thread that clicking the shifter release button stops it for some of you, so I tried that and it worked, so thanks for the tip! 👍🏼

After reading the tech notices about how to fix it, I decided to go ahead and order a new shifter and the small harness that connects it. I don't like my car not being 100%, so I'm going to put these both in when they get here, hopefully that cures the problem. I'm doing the work myself, so I won't have to take it to any service centers. It's costing me about $115 with tax and shipping total, so it's not too bad I think.

I haven't posted for a while, but I'm still really happy with this car. I did have an issue with the downstream O2 sensor at about 23k mi., but I cleared the code and it didn't come back. I went ahead and changed both O2 sensors anyway, and the spark plugs while I was at it. It has about 27k mi. on it now, and it's still getting great mileage and running very smooth and quiet. I'll probably change the transmission fluid at 30k, ahead of the suggested service just to be on the safe side, looks like it's pretty easy to do. The original tires (Goodyear) are starting to show some wear, so I'll be looking at that pretty soon also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You may want to post a how-to when you're done, as some of us are hands-on too. Good luck !
According to the tech. bulletin, letting the shifter release button snap back 50 times and installing the jumper harness fixes the problem on some of the affected cars. It shows repair time of 0.3 hours, so adding the shifter assembly replacement should not take much longer. I think this would probably fix my problem, since snapping the shifter release makes the message go away, but while I'm in there...

The tech. bulletin has good instructions, so I will try to add what I can about the shifter replacement and maybe take a couple of photos. I think the trick will be to remove the console trim parts without damage, as everything looks like snap-together parts. It would be nice if the mfg's would use less single use fasteners and parts with snap tabs that can break, but this seems to be the modern way of things. I wouldn't mind a few more visible assembly bolts and screws, but somewhere along the way a decision was made to hide all that stuff... 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
According to the tech. bulletin, letting the shifter release button snap back 50 times and installing the jumper harness fixes the problem on some of the affected cars. It shows repair time of 0.3 hours, so adding the shifter assembly replacement should not take much longer. I think this would probably fix my problem, since snapping the shifter release makes the message go away, but while I'm in there...

The tech. bulletin has good instructions, so I will try to add what I can about the shifter replacement and maybe take a couple of photos. I think the trick will be to remove the console trim parts without damage, as everything looks like snap-together parts. It would be nice if the mfg's would use less single use fasteners and parts with snap tabs that can break, but this seems to be the modern way of things. I wouldn't mind a few more visible assembly bolts and screws, but somewhere along the way a decision was made to hide all that stuff... 🤷🏼‍♂️
I remember when I got my 2009. Wow, no screws visible anywhere. It looked so clean and presentable.

Then I started doing mods and quickly found out just how rotten it is to have non-reusable fasteners. Some of the plastic broke, as you mention.

I took my car in for service at the dealership, and even they broke parts! What was completely foreign to me was that they broke a brand new part and left it in the car for me to take home. While vacuuming out the back seat area, I noticed the broken part. When I took it back, the service manager himself told me that his technician was "grumpy" (his word, not mine)! Wow, so he's grumpy and I'm supposed to accept my car with broken parts? Not long after, they asked me to take it to another dealer, which I gladly did, since it wasn't the first time they'd broken my car. By then, it was about the 3rd or 4th and I was done with them.

So, yeah, I would favor actual fasteners, not cheaper-than-Legos soft plastic that isn't meant to be removed without being replaced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes and it's not just the interior, we had a car repaired some years ago for rear damage and it came back with the fasteners reused and falling out, and the panels misaligned. It was a Lexus, so the level of repair was unacceptable and I had to bring it back, then I still had to fix a few details myself...

My Malibu has been hit twice, once in front and once in back, both fairly minor but expensive repairs (not my fault!, lol) I did both repairs myself because now I don't trust the body shops to go the extra mile and get new fasteners and make sure everything is back to new condition. Most body shop customers probably don't even notice, as long as the paint is shiny. They reuse and repair parts, paint over flaws and bondo, use the wrong fasteners, etc. etc. The only thing I farmed out was the painting, which luckily my local Chevy dealer has an exceptional paint shop, but I got new parts and I didn't reuse anything that was damaged. So the right front fender, the front bumper cover, the front grill, the lower front cover, and the rear bumper cover have all been replaced on my car, but you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence of it. I was surprised at the amount of new fasteners I had to get, so I can see why the body shops are tempted to cut corners on things you'll probably never see, but it doesn't make it right.

Malibu shift to park fix GREAT. A guy posted a video on YouTube how fix this yourself. Easy if you work on cars or get a friend who does to help. Go to YouTube search this. 2016 2017 2018 Chevy Malibu parking shifter error. How to fix. It is simple and thank him soooooo much. :):)
I like this fix, I think this guy figured out what the problem really is. Good info., thanks!

I looks like he broke the little plastic cover over the switch, which is one of those snap together things again, hard not to do...

I will see if I can compare the new and old shifters when it gets here and see if anything has changed with the switch or the metal actuator that he bent back into place to fix this issue.

I see that Ed Grimm also posted this fix earlier in the thread, thanks very much for this info and video! Also helpful how to pop out the shifter console cover.👍🏼

I had the same issue of a shift to park malfunction. See videos 1-4 for the simple cure.
No need to replace the shifter.

This is the kind of repair I'm looking for, I might just cancel my order for new parts. 👍🏼

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
Had the harness replaced three weeks ago, starting to receive message again, calling dealer tomorrow!:confused:
Not much luck being reported from owners receiving that new harness/jumper fix. This is the 2nd failure report out of 3 owners getting that new harness. Seems GM better go back to the fix that works long term. And spank the management that decided to try a band-aid half-butt janky fix!

261 - 271 of 271 Posts