Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

281 - 300 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 Chevy Malibu with only 6,000 miles just started this same malfunction. It does not recognize that the car is in park. It does this about 70% of the time. Have to be very careful when exiting the car but it does give me 3 beeps when this happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, thanks for clarifying. The CPO extended warranty should offer the best coverage possible. This harness puts things in a gray area as it is a new part not part of the originally manufactured vehicle. However, I think the TSB has the documented answer:
It should be covered as the TSB lists labor hours for in warranty replacement. It doesn't get more "in warranty" than... In warranty lol. GM has nothing to figure out IMO, classic dodge of responsibility where they are clearly in the wrong even by their own documentation.

Last I heard this harness had mixed results and was costing $108 installed at the dealer. The bulletin even says replace the shifter if the harness fails to correct the issue (seems to indicate they aren't sure if it even works). That and 50% of those that got it said it failed and had to move to shifter replacement. I think you are the first, maybe second, case of repeat shifter failure. I hope the harness can help.
Here is my latest update. Having multiple phone calls with a Chevy rep they have decided that since the part (as you had mentioned above) was not originally part of the vehicle when it was manufactured is not covered under the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty. Even though I pointed out multiple of times that the service bulletin specifically stated that if the vehicle's original shifter was replaced under the original warranty (which mine was) that this fix should be covered they just dug their heels in and wouldn't budge. They kept telling me that a service bulletin is just a guide to the service techs on how to address a problem not a recall that would have covered an issue. My warranty is up in February so I'm pretty much stuck. If I had insisted on another new shifter replacement that would have been covered. Who knew!! Looks like I'll think twice before buying another GM product again. Too bad because other than this issue this is really a nice car. So far the harness is working well and have had no new instances of a shift-to-park error message. We'll see how long that lasts. Thanks for your input.

My 2018 Chevy Malibu with only 6,000 miles just started this same malfunction. It does not recognize that the car is in park. It does this about 70% of the time. Have to be very careful when exiting the car but it does give me 3 beeps when this happens.
Can't believe they are still using the same part that is a known issue.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,288 Posts
I had planned on waiting to next week to write this up but I guess now is the time since an alert drew me here. My 2nd shifter failed last week and shift to park started back up. My first replacement was around 33,000 miles and this one started at 73,000. They installed the harness which failed to fix it then installed the replacement shifter. The first shifter part I received was 84308196 and this time they used 13524869. No idea if it is a new design but the part number is different from the last bulletin also. Pulling it up online it matches the 2019-2020 shifter which is exempt from the bulletin which affected 2016-2018 Malibus and some other cars. My first shifter always seemed loose and the first replacement was much firmer. I had hoped that meant it was improved. This one feels the same as the last replacement, very firm. My service contract did cover the harness and the shifter replacement minus my $50 deductible. The harness would have been $58 and shifter $650 if paying cash.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's so unfortunate that there are so many repair and warranty issues with the shifter/shift to park mechanism; all because of a cheap, possibly mal-adjusted, possibly defective,$1.50 micro switch!

Lets install jumper harnesses and click the button 50 times or replace shifter assemblies to the tune of $700.00; but Ignore the root cause of the problem.

How about we just replace the defective little micro switch?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another update on the shift-to-park. I had the harness repair done about six weeks ago and all has been good up until today; the message has reared it's ugly head again. I am at a loss as what to do now. The dealer doesn't want to hear it and GM has basically ignored the issue. :mad:

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,288 Posts
Another update on the shift-to-park. I had the harness repair done about six weeks ago and all has been good up until today; the message has reared it's ugly head again. I am at a loss as what to do now. The dealer doesn't want to hear it and GM has basically ignored the issue. :mad:
It seems everyone (including me) that had the harness installed either had it immediately fail to correct the issue or it failed in days/weeks. If the harness doesn't correct the issue they have to move to shifter replacement again. It seems they are using a new part number now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My cars out of warranty. 3 months ago I tried the switch repair shown in the video posted by Ed Grimm. It worked for about a week then I tried it again and it worked about 2 weeks. Took it to the daeler and they installed the harness that worked a month. Charged me 90 for the harness. When I went back they wanted 725 for a new shifter. F that, I bought it online for $110 shipped and put it in myself. In the process I cracked the shift panel so I had to buy that for $60. Still 170 and an hour is a lot better than 725. So lazy of Chevy.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,288 Posts
@jeffk Good for you on the DIY. Bummer about the bezel but still a lot cheaper than 700. I have no idea why that harness exists. I tried reading back and I didn't see anyone with success from that. The problem is the harness probably tested for a few weeks and seemed all good but now in the field a car gets to 6 weeks and it tanks. There are only so many cars to test on so I'll cut slack on that but come on, just redesign the part.

Also, I think you are the first feedback on the DIY switch "fix". I didn't think that would be a long term. It seems like it is the culprit - or at least something connected to it - but if it is so weak it loosens with time bending it will just weaken it further. Perhaps replacing the microswitch itself with a higher quality part would be more long term. Or perhaps it is more complicated than that... who knows.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It seems everyone (including me) that had the harness installed either had it immediately fail to correct the issue or it failed in days/weeks. If the harness doesn't correct the issue they have to move to shifter replacement again. It seems they are using a new part number now.
Do you by chance have the new part number? My problem will still be they the dealer won't address the issue if they don't see it happening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 Chevy Malibu with 14,000 miles start to give me this problem and yesterday I had very hard time to stop that malfunction it’s at the dealership today, and I am so lucky that it did it again at the dealer ! hopefully it will be covered by GM

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 Chevy Malibu with 14,000 miles has the same malfunction (park and shift) it was fixed today at the dealership under the warranty something have to do with the transmission

·
Registered
3 Posts

I had the same issue of a shift to park malfunction. See videos 1-4 for the simple cure.
No need to replace the shifter.

I have had this issue twice Malibu 2016 first time one week after I bought out my lease it happened and brought it to dealership .. they wanted 1500 to fix ... I was furious and finally got them to fix free ... when it started again 6 months later I looked at the forum and did it !!! No more park to shift ( for now ) but I thank you all and yes this should be a recall !!! Btw ... I’m a 63 year old female and did it !!! 😀😀😀

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 Chevy Malibu with 14,000 miles has the same malfunction (park and shift) it was fixed today at the dealership under the warranty something have to do with the transmission
This is interesting. I’m having the same issue started two days ago on my 2018 Malibu with 45,000 miles on it and they are telling me it’s not covered under the warranty.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,288 Posts
This is interesting. I’m having the same issue started two days ago on my 2018 Malibu with 45,000 miles on it and they are telling me it’s not covered under the warranty.
It is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty but not powertrain warranty. I'd discuss it with the service manager and let them know you know it is a well known issue and there is a bulletin. While most owners have it covered under warranty, some have had it covered or reduced to a lower price. Some have indeed had to pay - depends on the dealer and your advocacy skills. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty but not powertrain warranty. I'd discuss it with the service manager and let them know you know it is a well known issue and there is a bulletin. While most owners have it covered under warranty, some have had it covered or reduced to a lower price. Some have indeed had to pay - depends on the dealer and your advocacy skills. Good luck.
Thanks. I actually had a friend who’s an engineer take a look at all the these post and comments about the issue and He looked up some videos on how others have dealt with it themselves and he was able to successfully fix the problem. However because of the fact that this issue seems to be returning after some time there is still a possibility that this fix will be temporary as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I managed to do the quick fix but it was temporary... I was quoted 1500 at one point but I guess that was high... what should the cost be ... has anyone ever replaced the assembly themselves??

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,288 Posts
Well I managed to do the quick fix but it was temporary... I was quoted 1500 at one point but I guess that was high... what should the cost be ... has anyone ever replaced the assembly themselves??
Pretty much everyone that tried that microswitch fix only got temporary relief. The dealer should be quoting $700. Several others involved their service manager and/or Chevy customer assistance and had the cost reduced to $0-$150. The part is $94 plus shipping on GMpartsdirect and I can't see it at Rock Auto or Amazon. I don't believe anyone has diy'd the shifter but it shouldn't be wildly hard especially if you already accessed it to fuss/bend the little switch. I can probably send you diagrams/ instructions tomorrow if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That would be great ... the dealership fixed this problem on my car 9 months ago ... and it’s doing it again ... they were going to charge me but I fought that because my car was 2 weeks over the warranty ...I wonder if they really replaced it or just bent it ?

281 - 300 of 306 Posts