·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,807 Posts
@rroy I sent along what I have.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@campb292 I recently went on a several hundred mile road trip and rented a 2020 Malibu LT for the trip. I did notice as you mentioned in post #284 that the shifter felt much better. I haven't received the message since ~28,000 miles (at 42,600 now) but I'm sure it was replaced with the older part model since it was in 2018 when replaced. On a possible related note, I also receive P1767 which refers to Up/down Shift Switch 1 Circuit - this is accompanied by a "Service Transmission" message. This was only obtained by using a higher end scan tool. Anyway, it seems to not have a problem if I push the shifter down with a small amount of force, go slowly, and try not to wiggle it much. Possibly lending credence to the fact that the shifter has too much slack.

On a side note, this make me go out and purchase a 2005 Silverado WT basic roll windows, manual locks, drive by cable, regular cab... just a simple vehicle with less to go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,807 Posts
Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had the harness installed for 4 months now, and while it hasn't eliminated the issue entirely, it has reduced it by 95%. About every 6 weeks, the STP message returns for a couple of days, then goes away on its own for the next few weeks. Double tapping the shifter button quickly always makes the STP message go away when it does happen.

Prior to the $55 harness install, the STP message was more or less constant, and the double tap workaround was getting less effective. Given the $800 cost to replace the shifter (I'm out of warranty), I can live with the STP condition as it is now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just had my barely-past-the-warranty 2017 Premier have the dreaded "Shift to Park' show up on Saturday (3/21). Warranty on my car expired on 3/11/20; talk about timing. The day of the warranty expiration I had the 9 speed shifting issues reported here previously to boot (dealers fixed that with the software update at no charge) then this I think my car has a detect circuit to know it's out of warranty. ;)

Bottom line the service manager told me about the StP issue:

• They see a LOT of Chevys with this issue.
  • The harness rarely if ever works.
  • They now stock the harness and the shifter since they see it so often.

I didn't even have to show them the video I made with the issue happening, they took my word for it and went straight to the shifter replacement. GM was willing to pay everything past $150 but I have an extended warranty with a $50 deductible. The dealer cut the deductible to $25 since it happened so quickly after warranty so of course I took the $25 route.

The new shifter doesn't feel much different selecting each position (ie going from Park - R-N-Drive) compared to the old unit but the shift interlock button is definitely stiffer feeling with zero free play like the previous shifter. Hope this is the last time I see the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bharat,

We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing this concern with your Malibu, and understand how worrisome this must be. We assure you that your safety is of the utmost importance to us. If you would like for us to look into this further, and reach out to your dealership regarding further clarification, please let us know in a private message! Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information, and dealers name.

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit Privacy Statement | General Motors

Bret B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I am having that same problem with my 2018 Chevy Malibu w/42200 miles on it. The dealer wants to charge me for an obvious defect in the vehicle. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. With all that's going on in the world today, I would hope Chevrolet will do the right thing.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,807 Posts
@Kenneth Wilkins 8546
Bummer about your shifter. Just a warning, the user you quoted hasn't replied to another user in almost 3 years. While they might be watching, they lack interest and haven't been helpful to anyone in a long, long time.

Your best bet being out of warranty is contacting your service manager then Chevy directly via the number in your owner's manual. Many owners have had the price reduced. $150 is a common reduced price (lots better than the $700). One tip: don't let them just install a harness. It doesn't work long term and just kicks the can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank
@Kenneth Wilkins 8546
Bummer about your shifter. Just a warning, the user you quoted hasn't replied to another user in almost 3 years. While they might be watching, they lack interest and haven't been helpful to anyone in a long, long time.

Your best bet being out of warranty is contacting your service manager then Chevy directly via the number in your owner's manual. Many owners have had the price reduced. $150 is a common reduced price (lots better than the $700). One tip: don't let them just install a harness. It doesn't work long term and just kicks the can.
Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
I posted about 2 months ago about the STP ...did the little fix with moving that metal clip to hit the button ... it was good for a few weeks and then back ... wiggling the shifter would take it away ... the past 3 days it would go away but next morning my battery was drained ...dealership put a “ new harness “ in today ... praying this takes care of it but reading these post I’m not hopeful... 2016 Malibu 44,000 miles charged me 196.00 ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good luck with the harness. I've read that it isn't much of a fix. I have a 16 premier and recently rented a 20 LT. The 2020 LT's shifter felt better. It's my understanding that the shifter is across all years and as had an updated part number - perhaps it's been redesigned.
I posted about 2 months ago about the STP ...did the little fix with moving that metal clip to hit the button ... it was good for a few weeks and then back ... wiggling the shifter would take it away ... the past 3 days it would go away but next morning my battery was drained ...dealership put a “ new harness “ in today ... praying this takes care of it but reading these post I’m not hopeful... 2016 Malibu 44,000 miles charged me 196.00 ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good luck with the harness. I've read that it isn't much of a fix. I have a 16 premier and recently rented a 20 LT. The 2020 LT's shifter felt better. It's my understanding that the shifter is across all years and as had an updated part number - perhaps it's been redesigned.
Time will tell ... but I agree ...I haven’t heard great things .... it will go right back in if it starts ... and then a new shifter ???? $ 700.00. I noticed the few people where paying for the harness ... guess I got robbed 196.00 🤬

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am not sure you got robbed. I'm just reporting what I've seen/read my self. I do know that on my wife's 16 Premier, if I am super cautious with it - shifting slowly and with a rather firm 'push down' of the shifter while avoiding the top buttons - I seem to avoid getting Shift to Park as well as a "Service Transmission" which seems to be related to the shifter - This "Service Transmission" seems to be related to the shifter with the codes I pulled with a better than average car computer scanner (not mechanic SNAPon or anything just more sophisticated tool)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok ... again Shift to Park ... dealership put in a new harness ... 2 weeks ago.. maybe drove the car 20 miles since it was fixed ..it’s saying shift to park .. what’s the real fix for this and approximately how much should it cost ... please help ... I don’t want the dealership to do another temp fix ..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue. I have 2016 Malibu and I get the error 'Shift to Park' 100% of the time now. It was intermittent about a month back and has become worse very quickly. I don't have warranty on the car anymore. However, does anyone know if this is such a common issue if GM is fixing this without out of pocket expense?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same issue. I have 2016 Malibu and I get the error 'Shift to Park' 100% of the time now. It was intermittent about a month back and has become worse very quickly. I don't have warranty on the car anymore. However, does anyone know if this is such a common issue if GM is fixing this without out of pocket expense?
Well they say the harness will fix it but it’s a temp fix $140... but it’s back and no warranty here either .. I need the permanent fix

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having this issue as well I'm so upset I love the look of my car but it is one problem after another I don't know what to do

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,807 Posts
I don't know what to do
Pretty simple stuff: Fix it or trade it. As for the shift to park issue, post 2 of this discussion explains. If you want more advice about the car in general, you might create a new discussion with some info about your car (year, trim, engine, miles) and some history details. Perhaps advice will flow. Also, if you want to try a jimmy-rig fix, you can try this one:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to let people know, I had the shifter replaced with the new part number many months ago. I have 58k now on my 17 Premier and it works perfectly. I did pay the $800 for a new one-out of warranty. I don't expect to ever see that message again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my car has been giving me the same shift to park error so I shift it back to reverse and forcefully throw it into park and it seems to do the trick although it might just be making it worse

301 - 320 of 354 Posts