Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

321 - 340 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 MalibuI and have the same problem again, replaced shiftier at 30000 miles and now 50000 with the same problem, wouldn't you think with all the problems Chevy would help with the cost. Anybody know if Chevy has any departments to help with this problems?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,807 Posts
@wdelder55
You can always call Chevy Customer Assistance and ask for help. The number is below. Be sure you have already visited your dealer and received an estimate and if unacceptable escalate to the service manager. Chevy Assistance wants to know you have at least followed the process at your dealer. You can even call them from the dealer if things aren't going well. They don't always assist. After all, they sell extended warranties and service contracts. If they just provided lifetime warranty for free they wouldn't sell any of those extended contracts. Good luck.

800-222-1020

·
Registered
37 Posts
So an update on my shift to park message, when I ordered the parts it was during the strike and so I was able to cancel the order before it was shipped. I was planning on repairing the switch as in Mr. Venegas' video >>

I have not got around to doing this because after letting the release button snap back (maybe 20 times) it hasn't done it since. So basically nothing to report. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
So 7 months in, the $15 wiring harness has largely solved the STP message appearing. It does so about every 6 weeks for a day or two, then disappears, and has become less frequent than that lately. I'm always able to get rid of it with the double tap on the shifter button. Sometimes the message will go away on its own after about 5 seconds, without me having to double tap, which tells me that the harness is doing its thing electronically. I always apply the parking brake before shifting into Park because when I don't, there's a greater chance of a random STP message appearing.

Given the $700 cost to replace the shifter assembly, it's something I can live with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been happening on my 2017 Chevy Malibu for a few weeks. It started out by rarely happening. I could get the message to go off by either touching or lightly pressing the gear-shift release button or by cycling through the gears and then shifting back to park and shutting off the engine. Lately, it has been happening nearly every time I go somewhere and shift into park. Sometimes after a little time has passed, it will eventually go off, but I am always afraid that it won't go off. The indicator shows park, but lights and radio stay on and it is annoying as all get out. I am going to contact my dealer about it while it is still under warranty.

Going to try the press and release of the shifter release button to try to get rid of the message if the dealer is unable to fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been a loyal Chevy owner since high school and currently own 2018 MALIBU. Two weeks ago I was at work and went to put my car in park. The lights remained on and a “shift to park” message appeared and the car would not turn off for 20 minutes. I called a local dealers service department. I was treated as an inconvenience and was rushed off the phone and he told me he would call back (of course never called back). I called another dealer and was told it would not be covered because I went over my miles and my extended warranty would not cover it. The dealer also informed me it would cost over $450.00 to fix. I have no issues paying for it. I have a hard time believing that a glaring safety issue like this is being treated with such neglect; Especially since it’s been happening since 2016 according to this post. If your reading this post in the future and your over your warranty pay to fix it and switch to another manufacturer. I can’t imagine they would treat their loyal customers like this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been a loyal Chevy owner since high school and currently own 2018 MALIBU. Two weeks ago I was at work and went to put my car in park. The lights remained on and a “shift to park” message appeared and the car would not turn off for 20 minutes. I called a local dealers service department. I was treated as an inconvenience and was rushed off the phone and he told me he would call back (of course never called back). I called another dealer and was told it would not be covered because I went over my miles and my extended warranty would not cover it. The dealer also informed me it would cost over $450.00 to fix. I have no issues paying for it. I have a hard time believing that a glaring safety issue like this is being treated with such neglect; Especially since it’s been happening since 2016 according to this post. If your reading this post in the future and your over your warranty pay to fix it and switch to another manufacturer. I can’t imagine they would treat their loyal customers like this.

Hi all. Had the STP message "fixed" today at a GMC/Buick dealer. There are no Chevy dealerships within about 40 miles of here. That's sad considering how many there were at one time. GMCs & Buicks have the same problem as the Chevys with the STP, maybe exact same part. Anyway, car is a 2017 Premier out of warranty by about 6 weeks & only 14K but I have the "Chevrolet Protection Plan", Platinum version. The job was covered for my deductible ($100) & is good for 2 yrs. & unlimited mileage. I'm going to call Chevy customer service to see if I can get the $100 refunded but I doubt it. I was told the job cost $350 otherwise (mechanism only, no harness). I'm seeing a lot of different prices from you guys & gals. Anyone know if GM beefed up the mechanism vs the original part ? You'd think they would learn after the ignition switch fiasco that almost bankrupted GM a few years ago. The part I got replaced another version F (S)Control (Replaced Part Number 13520828) - GM (13534322) | GMPartsDirect.com . They also said they did a multi-point inspection which is a crock since they didn't even give me the paperwork with the bogus check marks on it. I'd like to follow Dinah Shore's advice but the country is closed pretty much.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,501 Posts
Indeed, if you don't get what you want, throw a tantrum and buy from another manufacturer. I'm no Chevy fan-boy, but just a common person like you. I realize that all manufacturers have issues, so no matter where you go or what you buy, anything that you can afford will come with its own issues as well as various levels of support.

But let's also be practical. I agree that this is an issue that they should offer extended coverage on.

The only thing I see that's disagreeable with your advice is what you recommend after telling folks to pay to fix it. Heck, if the car's fixed, why switch? I can't imagine that a thinking person would sell a car that they know is working, unless they just love starting over and taking their chances so they can be miserable and join a forum to offer bad advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Me too! 2017 Malibu LT with about 30,000 miles. Bumper-to-Bumper warranty expired. Power Train warranty still in effect but dealership states that this problem is not covered by Power Train! Did not let dealer touch since it's not covered by warranty and I didn't ask how much they would charge to repair. Took matters into my own hands. This repair can be done by anyone with basic electro-mechanical skills (and a soldering iron). Replaced $3 park-position switch with part number 653-D2HW-BL221H from same switch manufacturer at 31,000 miles. Replacement switch striker arm is "hinged" but I can't state that it is more durable than the OEM switch. Cheaper than buying entire shift assembly. Much cheaper than the least amount any dealer would charge! We'll see how long this one lasts.

With so many known failures, this problem warranted a recall but Chevrolet chose NOT to recall. Definitely a money-making venture for dealerships and Chevrolet in general especially since it's not covered by the Power Train warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,807 Posts
@Teufelhunde

Nice work on the DIY repair. Thanks for also sharing the part number you used and the pictures. The previous attempts at DIY that just bent and twisted the failing switch arm usually didn't last very long. Properly replacing it hopefully lasts much longer. Well done.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 day back from the dealer, they changed the whole shifter at no cost, no message since then

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk
I just got my car from a small dealership and i have warranty right now so do u know if they will change it or does it have to me from a chevy dealership for them to fix it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Juliam214, it is my understanding that the dealership will repair at no cost as long as your Chevrolet Bumper-to-Bumper warranty is still in effect. My Bumper-to-Bumper had expired but Power Train had not and they were going to charge for presumably replacing the shift lever assembly. If you're unsure of you warranty status, you can create an account with your VIN at my.chevrolet.com and see what warranties are still covered. If you have a third party warranty, I'm not sure what they will cover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this happen in my 2018 Premier at 35000 miles. They installed a wire harness then it started doing it again a couple weeks later and they installed a new shifter control. Has been fine since and now I have about almost 53000 miles. Does anyone know if this is covered by powertrain warranty in case it happens again?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this happen in my 2018 Premier at 35000 miles. They installed a wire harness then it started doing it again a couple weeks later and they installed a new shifter control. Has been fine since and now I have about almost 53000 miles. Does anyone know if this is covered by powertrain warranty in case it happens again?
It is not covered by Power Train warranty, only by Bumper to Bumper.

·
Registered
2016 1LT 1.5T
74 Posts
About a year ago, I performed the DIY repair by slightly bending the metal tab on the switch. It worked great for a year, but I recently needed to do it again after the "shift to park" message returned. All is well after DIYv2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Teufelhunde, that is a cool repair. (y) I think I'll do this if mine starts acting up again, but it's been fine for months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this happen just outside warranty at 38,xxx miles. The dealer contacted GM and they covered it 100% as a courtesy. They replaced the shifter. They also said there will be a program coming later this year that includes refunds if you had to pay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shift to park!!! So been having the same issues as many other owners are having with their Mailibu's. 2017 model and there are more times than none that it registers (shift to park) yet it is in park. I have to keep messing with the shifter until it releases! Now, the only warranty I have left is obviously the powertrain which I was told has nothing to do with this well known issue! I was always a fan of this make of vehicle (Since the day I seen police driving it), now I am about to run out and trade her in for a Dodge. We have always been fans of Chevy, but seeing that I still owe over 17,000 on her and I have to pay for an issue that Chevy is aware of, I think that I am slowly contemplating switching not only models but makers as well. Totally disappointed, if the car is doing this now (it only as 42,000 on it) whats to say that the AutoStop will not disable the whole vehicle eventually. I want to know why there is not a recall on this! Why is it that the Chevy dealer in St. Clairsville, Ohio, is more than aware of the issue and wants to charge me 110 just to look at an issue they are already aware of? Then I will have to pay upwards of 700.00 to have a known issue fixed. C'mon Chevy get it together. This is my second Malibu, and little to say I am definitely "as of now" not impressed. Please get a recall for this, it can become a bigger issue in the long run. I was late for work by 10 minutes because my car would not lock because of this message. It is important that I have my car lock seeing that I work as a Correctional Officer. Please help a girl and many other buyers out. Get this fixed!!
I have the same problem and and I'm stunned that GM has not recalled the Malibu. They recalled the Arcadia if I am not mistaken with the same issues. Why not the MALIBU? Why should we continue to pay for a repair when this has been an ongoing issue? It is not right. They have been aware of this problem for a very long time. I am surprised by the response that the consumer is responsible for the faulty part. Hmm. We did not put that inferior part into the cars.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,807 Posts
They recalled the Arcadia if I am not mistaken with the same issues. Why not the MALIBU?
Hmmm... No such car as the Arcadia. There is however a GMC Acadia of which the 2017-2019 is affected by the shift to park bug. No recall on any of them. Recall would mean bringing them all in for a repair even if not broken. This is usually due to a safety issue which this hasn't been. I agree though, this should long ago been named a special coverage extension where if it fails they fix it for free through a period of miles/time like the pedal sensor and stop lamp. As is they only fix it for free under the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the part number Teufelhunde. As much as I wanted to wait for a recall so I could make the dealership fix it, I didn't want to end up stranded somewhere with a dead battery. I got the part from Digi-Key (digikey.com) for about $10 shipped and it took 15 minutes to remove the old switch and install the new one.

321 - 340 of 354 Posts