Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

341 - 354 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looking at that new switch it looks to have been redesigned and I would suspect would keep working with the new hinge design. I paid a portion of this fix before I got rid of the car.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,807 Posts
I thought there was a TSB on this with special Exstended warranty Coverage no??
Back when GM was releasing several of the special coverage programs (like the pedal position sensor and CHMSL) it seemed to make sense this would be come one. Never did. It wouldn't ever be a recall unless a car started rolling away - which it wouldn't because it is functionally in park just the bcm doesn't know it. But special coverage program made sense to everyone but GM I guess. Simple repair high labor cost is a dealer friend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Me too! 2017 Malibu LT with about 30,000 miles. Bumper-to-Bumper warranty expired. Power Train warranty still in effect but dealership states that this problem is not covered by Power Train! Did not let dealer touch since it's not covered by warranty and I didn't ask how much they would charge to repair. Took matters into my own hands. This repair can be done by anyone with basic electro-mechanical skills (and a soldering iron). Replaced $3 park-position switch with part number 653-D2HW-BL221H from same switch manufacturer at 31,000 miles. Replacement switch striker arm is "hinged" but I can't state that it is more durable than the OEM switch. Cheaper than buying entire shift assembly. Much cheaper than the least amount any dealer would charge! We'll see how long this one lasts.

With so many known failures, this problem warranted a recall but Chevrolet chose NOT to recall. Definitely a money-making venture for dealerships and Chevrolet in general especially since it's not covered by the Power Train warranty.
Thanks for sharing the part number! I just ordered one from DigiKey, pretty cool they are based out of Minnesota.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same issue. Took the car in last year while it was under warranty and they changed it out. This past week I have started getting the same message.... And of course my warranty has no expired! This should be covered under a recall!!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,501 Posts
Actually, it shouldn't take as much "engineering" as it does to make something work right. But, making it cheaper and/or easier to manufacture is the drive behind many "improvements", so we get what we get.

We also get parts supplied by the vendor who charges the least, and that allows them to cut corners and under-deliver.

When so many suffer from such a common issue, it would behoove GM to step up and send letters before too many found themselves in straits like this. It would cause them to rethink how things are engineered, and with better vehicles on the road, they'd gain a reputation for better-built cars and sell a bunch more. Maybe "now" is all they see, and the future doesn't concern them as much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well I've been a very long time Ford Guy that Married into a GM Family. I still own classic Mustangs. That said our first new car was a 1986 Dodge Daytona. Good car, Transmissions terrible. We bought a new 1994 Grand Am Pontiac. Noisy cramped rattle trap. Traded it in on a new 1997 Pontiac Transport. Great van for 3 years but brakes always had serious vibration issues. Check engine light and temperature light came on. Took it to Swope Pontiac dealership. Seemed the lower intake manifold leaked Dexcool antifreeze into oil pan mixing a mudlike mixture in both radiator and oil pan. They said They never heard of it before. I googled it and there were thousands of complaints about that issue. They wanted to flush engine and cooling system for 1500.00 with no guarantee the engine was bad. Traded in on new Honda Odyssey with no issues for over 15 years.
In 2018 we rented a 2018 Malibu to drive to Upstate NY. Really liked it so We decided to buy one. Loaded with sunroof and most options. About 32000 miles the shift into park issue happened. No recall...again, thousands of complaints. Nothing from GM.
This now has 44000 miles a year later . Tried the bend tab trick twice but only lasts a couple weeks. Tired of the start, restart multiple times moving shifter back and forth into park. This will likely be our Last GM car.
BTW , all of Her relatives had similar issues back in the 90's with the Dexcool leaking issues. Another has the Shift into park issue too.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,501 Posts
@Keith Deavers

I've loved the 64½ Mustang Fastback ever since I was a kid! Beautiful form.

It's sad when you wanna love a car and it doesn't seem to love you back. I've had some bad luck in the past, and I've had some good luck.

One thing that I've decided, if at all possible, is that I don't want to own a small-displacement engine with a turbo. My 2011 is a V6 with about the same power as the 2.0T but without 2 things: the turbo and all that's needed to make it work, and the really good fuel mileage. My V6 delivers about 27-29 on the freeway, the 2.0T delivers about 10 MPG better than that, and it's even rated with more HP. But the extra headache of the turbo, coupled with a small engine that is susceptible to LSPI / SPI, makes me leery of owning one.

Other brands have had issues with coolant and engine oil mixing and causing some really bad issues. It's never good when it happens and leaves a bad taste in a person's mouth.

I'm not convinced that any one particular brand has a corner on the market of longevity or working right, but there are brands with reputations that drive people back to buying them over and over again. That kind of support by customers is priceless, and yet I'll wager that even those brands have their lemons and their detractors.

I hope that whatever you decide to buy lasts a long time and makes you and yours happy, and keeps them safe from harm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 Malibu has the STP problem at 51,000 miles. Dealer said $700 to replace it and it's out of stock and may be months until they get one in. Lucky for me they thought it would be a quick fix and gave me a loaner vehicle.
Mary Barra needs to pay attention to the problems they have with current products and satisfying her customers instead of focusing all her time on electric and autonomous vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
well I've been a very long time Ford Guy that Married into a GM Family. I still own classic Mustangs. That said our first new car was a 1986 Dodge Daytona. Good car, Transmissions terrible. We bought a new 1994 Grand Am Pontiac. Noisy cramped rattle trap. Traded it in on a new 1997 Pontiac Transport. Great van for 3 years but brakes always had serious vibration issues. Check engine light and temperature light came on. Took it to Swope Pontiac dealership. Seemed the lower intake manifold leaked Dexcool antifreeze into oil pan mixing a mudlike mixture in both radiator and oil pan. They said They never heard of it before. I googled it and there were thousands of complaints about that issue. They wanted to flush engine and cooling system for 1500.00 with no guarantee the engine was bad. Traded in on new Honda Odyssey with no issues for over 15 years.
In 2018 we rented a 2018 Malibu to drive to Upstate NY. Really liked it so We decided to buy one. Loaded with sunroof and most options. About 32000 miles the shift into park issue happened. No recall...again, thousands of complaints. Nothing from GM.
This now has 44000 miles a year later . Tried the bend tab trick twice but only lasts a couple weeks. Tired of the start, restart multiple times moving shifter back and forth into park. This will likely be our Last GM car.
BTW , all of Her relatives had similar issues back in the 90's with the Dexcool leaking issues. Another has the Shift into park issue too.
Dexcool issues were all related to gasket material changes that where mandated. Everyone blamed the Dexcool but it was the gaskets that were failing. I've had to do 2 3.1 intake gaskets in family '02 and '03 Malibu's back then. After gasket upgrades no issues with Dex for many miles. My old '99 Yukon went 200k miles on Dexcool with no issues, sold it with the factory hoses still in place.
Entire industry struggled with the gasket material changes for a few years. Honda's had a major piston ring issue in 4 cyl. motors for several years but nobody mentions that major issue.
Shifter switch is not excusable I'll agree but as a retired technician you would be surprised how many of those ''trusted'' brands in many industries have issues that are non-stop.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,807 Posts
How many miles? Was it under bumper to bumper warranty
The post you quoted is 3 years old; the user might be back to respond but maybe not. That said, the shift to park problem referenced in this discussion is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. Beyond that dealers often try and charge between $600-700 but often negotiate a lower price. Sometimes you need to call Chevrolet Customer Assistance to get the lower price. Other times they won't budge at all which in case I would buy the part and install it yourself or have an independent shop install it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully this is helpful for someone.

As someone whos car is officially out of warranty I ran into this issue and realized how debilitating it is, as you CANNOT shut your car off. So after watching this video, I gave this guys suggestion a shot:

This worked for a short while, but the problem still persisted after a month.
So since I narrowed down what the issue is, I replaced that one switch with the exact model found here:

I have not gotten a shift to park issue since. For good measure I purchased 5 of these little switches as a just in case scenario.
I need to clarify that I am NO mechanic, but do consider myself a do-it-yourself-er. If you believe that this switch is causing your 'shift to park' issue give this a try.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So:
Me too! 2017 Malibu LT with about 30,000 miles. Bumper-to-Bumper warranty expired. Power Train warranty still in effect but dealership states that this problem is not covered by Power Train! Did not let dealer touch since it's not covered by warranty and I didn't ask how much they would charge to repair. Took matters into my own hands. This repair can be done by anyone with basic electro-mechanical skills (and a soldering iron). Replaced $3 park-position switch with part number 653-D2HW-BL221H from same switch manufacturer at 31,000 miles. Replacement switch striker arm is "hinged" but I can't state that it is more durable than the OEM switch. Cheaper than buying entire shift assembly. Much cheaper than the least amount any dealer would charge! We'll see how long this one lasts.

With so many known failures, this problem warranted a recall but Chevrolet chose NOT to recall. Definitely a money-making venture for dealerships and Chevrolet in general especially since it's not covered by the Power Train warranty.
Toady, I too replaced this switch with the above referenced. Same symptoms as all as being the cause of replacement. Super simple. One thing I would note is that the click/push/activation of the old OEM (bent metal version) does seem weak/light whereas the new version with the hinge design has a far more pronounced click and feeling. Time will tell how long it hold up.

341 - 354 of 354 Posts