Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

361 - 380 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very upset that I had issues with my 2017. Had to replace SL-N-CONTOL and N-Harness for my car to stop having shift to park issues. Seems like it is a common problem with this model.

Same problem with my 2017 malibu that bumper to bumper warranty expired. I am bothered that after reading this forum, I realized that it's a common problem.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
GM released a new bulletin on this and the procedure for the service tech has completely changed. I have to say, I imagine this bulletin driving a lot of techs nuts. This is some tedious stuff to make up for some engineer's incompetency.

Here is the new bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10186071-9999.pdf

Post #2 updated accordingly.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
15 Posts
GM released a new bulletin on this and the procedure for the service tech has completely changed. I have to say, I imagine this bulletin driving a lot of techs nuts. This is some tedious stuff to make up for some engineer's incompetency.

Here is the new bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10186071-9999.pdf

Post #2 updated accordingly.
Thanks for posting that. It appears that it's a more detailed fix for the wiring harness install. I had that done 14 months ago and the STP message has gradually disappeared. The only time it displays now is from a cold start with engine shutoff after driving less than a mile in cold weather. So a reminder to me to always get the engine up to full operating temperature after a cold start, which is a best practice anyway for longer engine life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting that. It appears that it's a more detailed fix for the wiring harness install. I had that done 14 months ago and the STP message has gradually disappeared. The only time it displays now is from a cold start with engine shutoff after driving less than a mile in cold weather. So a reminder to me to always get the engine up to full operating temperature after a cold start, which is a best practice anyway for longer engine life.
Hello. I'm just encountering this problem and I've actually printed out the bulletin when I discuss with the dealership. I don't know if you're car is under warranty, however, if not, could you possibly share what the cost of fixing it would be? I bought a used 2016 LS and there is no warranty with it obviously. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just experienced the problem with my 2019 LT at 28,000 miles. The dealer installed a harness and cleaned it and it it is doing it again just a week later. I called the dealer and I take it back for a shifter replacement Thursday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Bharat,

We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing this concern with your Malibu, and understand how worrisome this must be. We assure you that your safety is of the utmost importance to us. If you would like for us to look into this further, and reach out to your dealership regarding further clarification, please let us know in a private message! Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information, and dealers name.

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit Privacy Statement | General Motors

Bret B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
My 2016 Malibu premier is doing this again 2nd time in 2 years im at 52,000 miles whats the deal?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
My 2016 Malibu premier is doing this again 2nd time in 2 years im at 52,000 miles whats the deal?
The post you have quoted is 4 years old and the author hasn't made any other posts in 3.5 years. I wouldn't get your hopes up for a response as others have tried and get nothing. Honestly even when that account was responsive the results were unimpressive.

If you read the last page or two of this discussion you'll come away with the latest information. It seems GM sees the shifter used in the Malibu and a few other models as a wear part. I'm on my fourth. Maybe the current shifter is finally fixed; but that's what they said about the third one and it failed. I'd talk to the dealer see what they're going to charge you for another replacement or to perform whatever that new service procedure is (seems laughable). If they're trying to charge you an amount you feel unacceptable give Chevy a call tell them this will be your third shifter and see if they'll cut a deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 malibu at 42,000. Nov.2018 shifter assembly was replaced under warranty..now March 2021 same issue! So annoyed..I have an extended warranty..but $100 deductible... This seems like it should be a recall.. does this part only last 2 years? Isn't there any guarantee? Should I can Chevrolet assistance? Would it help! TIA Janet

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
2016 malibu at 42,000. Nov.2018 shifter assembly was replaced under warranty..now March 2021 same issue! So annoyed..I have an extended warranty..but $100 deductible... This seems like it should be a recall.. does this part only last 2 years? Isn't there any guarantee? Should I can Chevrolet assistance? Would it help! TIA Janet
Post 2 has some info, also more interesting detail the last few pages of this discussion. Only time will tell on the latest shifter. Get repair info from the dealer and contact chevy if you find the resolution unacceptable. Recall is unlikely as those are usually reserved for safety issues, plus now 6 model years in GM doesn't seem to care. I'm on my 4th. The best bet is a special coverage program someday but not if GM now sees a shifter as a wear part in the Malibu, Blazer, Acadia, Traverse and EOL Volt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had this serviced today I have Ally major guard so had to pay $100 deductible plus tax- parts & labor was $570. (Replaced shifter & pigtail harness)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My message board tells me to shift into park, after I have and turned the vehicle off. I then have to turn the lights off manually. When I exit my car with my key fob with me, it beeps 3 times and the dash lights remain on. Anyone know what could be the issue? I am calling my local dealership once it opens this morning.

MODERATOR EDIT: See post #2 for current info.
I just got my Malibu and I was having a similar problem. However I have found a trick to make it stop. When you go to put your car in park press down on the brake and then come off of it once you have it in park. Works me

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m having this problem with my 2017 Malibu and I’m past the 3 year mark, so no coverage according to my dealership. Is this not a safety issue? I’m not seeing comments mentioning this. The Chevy dealership I brought it to is telling me the parts alone will cost me $900 and that if I don’t fix it, eventually the car will shift into park while I’m driving and crash..

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
I’m having this problem with my 2017 Malibu and I’m past the 3 year mark, so no coverage according to my dealership. Is this not a safety issue? I’m not seeing comments mentioning this. The Chevy dealership I brought it to is telling me the parts alone will cost me $900 and that if I don’t fix it, eventually the car will shift into park while I’m driving and crash..
Either you have a different problem or your dealer is feeding you some baloney. The shift to park issue, where you shift to park, the P lights up but it says shift to park on the DIC, is corrected with a 0.8 hour labor process where they clean the shifter and install a harness and switch. The harness is $15. The switch is $28. I have the part numbers and prices I can link if needed. They don't even list the shifter replacement in the bulletin anymore as the switch is what malfunctions. Even if they just put in a completely new shifter the part is $150 and it takes 1.7 labor to replace (published labor time, non-warranty).

They haven't made this one a safety recall because the car is in Park as far as the transmission is concerned. It is the BCM that isn't getting the signal because of that switch. An argument can certainly be made since the ECM is the receiver of the primary signal and the BCM acts as a backup. If the backup is toast, you are hanging by a thread metaphorically. But with zero accidents are barely any complaints at the NHTSA beyond cost, years have gone by and nothing.

Reactions: n33mb

·
Registered
84 Posts
The post you have quoted is 4 years old and the author hasn't made any other posts in 3.5 years. I wouldn't get your hopes up for a response as others have tried and get nothing. Honestly even when that account was responsive the results were unimpressive.

If you read the last page or two of this discussion you'll come away with the latest information. It seems GM sees the shifter used in the Malibu and a few other models as a wear part. I'm on my fourth. Maybe the current shifter is finally fixed; but that's what they said about the third one and it failed. I'd talk to the dealer see what they're going to charge you for another replacement or to perform whatever that new service procedure is (seems laughable). If they're trying to charge you an amount you feel unacceptable give Chevy a call tell them this will be your third shifter and see if they'll cut a deal.
What non sense. Glad I dropped this car after my first shifter issue and also the worries with the engine. My Encore had zero issues in the 2 years I had it but I'm onto another first model Chevy in the 2021 Trailblazer I picked up last week. I might be a gluten for punishment.:LOL:

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
What non sense. Glad I dropped this car after my first shifter issue and also the worries with the engine. My Encore had zero issues in the 2 years I had it but I'm onto another first model Chevy in the 2021 Trailblazer I picked up last week. I might be a gluten for punishment.:LOL:
I know this is off topic but which powertrain combo did you go with on that Trailblazer? 1.2/CVT, 1.3/CVT, or 1.3/9-speed? What do you think of the 3-cylinder?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know this is off topic but which powertrain combo did you go with on that Trailblazer? 1.2/CVT, 1.3/CVT, or 1.3/9-speed? What do you think of the 3-cylinder?
1.3 CVT Trailblazer LT . Definitely more peppy then my standard 18 Encore Engine. Not hearing great things about CVT from any manufacturer but I guess we will see.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
1.3 CVT Trailblazer LT . Definitely more peppy then my standard 18 Encore Engine. Not hearing great things about CVT from any manufacturer but I guess we will see.
Does that CVT use simulated shift points or does it hold rpms more steady when accelerating? Curious.

For example, if you mash the pedal moderately and hold does it rev up to 3500 and hold there until you reach speed then settle to cruising RPM? Or do the RPMs rise and fall like a traditional automatic?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does that CVT use simulated shift points or does it hold rpms more steady when accelerating? Curious.

For example, if you mash the pedal moderately and hold does it rev up to 3500 and hold there until you reach speed then settle to cruising RPM? Or do the RPMs rise and fall like a traditional automatic?
I would say it holds the rpms steady rather then simulated shift points.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
Thanks I was curious what style CVT was being used in the trailblazer. I hope it does well. I thought the 1.3 did pretty darn good for itself but the one I drove had the 9 and AWD.

361 - 380 of 392 Posts