Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

381 - 392 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Either you have a different problem or your dealer is feeding you some baloney. The shift to park issue, where you shift to park, the P lights up but it says shift to park on the DIC, is corrected with a 0.8 hour labor process where they clean the shifter and install a harness and switch. The harness is $15. The switch is $28. I have the part numbers and prices I can link if needed. They don't even list the shifter replacement in the bulletin anymore as the switch is what malfunctions. Even if they just put in a completely new shifter the part is $150 and it takes 1.7 labor to replace (published labor time, non-warranty).

They haven't made this one a safety recall because the car is in Park as far as the transmission is concerned. It is the BCM that isn't getting the signal because of that switch. An argument can certainly be made since the ECM is the receiver of the primary signal and the BCM acts as a backup. If the backup is toast, you are hanging by a thread metaphorically. But with zero accidents are barely any complaints at the NHTSA beyond cost, years have gone by and nothing.
Thanks for the reply, I was this close to having a $1500 bill for no reason apparently. It sounds like they’re trying to take advantage of me with the situation, I would appreciate the link if you can but if not you still helped me way more than you know!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I was this close to having a $1500 bill for no reason apparently. It sounds like they’re trying to take advantage of me with the situation, I would appreciate the link if you can but if not you still helped me way more than you know!
Here is the latest "shift to park" bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10186071-9999.pdf

In that bulletin, your Malibu would need two part numbers:
Harness: 84733196 GM list $12.75
Switch: 84955381 GM list $28.52
The bulletin has the in-warranty labor time listed. The out of warranty time can be higher as that bulletin labor time just reflects what GM says the operation should take.

If the bulletin fix fails, or you went to an independent shop for replacement, the shifter is part 13534322 (previously 13520828) listing at $150.09

Those parts/prices can be found here which shows the sale price and GM parts catalog list price (you usually pay list price at the dealer): Select Parts Category - 2017 Chevrolet Malibu | GMPartsDirect.com

Reactions: n33mb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the latest "shift to park" bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10186071-9999.pdf

In that bulletin, your Malibu would need two part numbers:
Harness: 84733196 GM list $12.75
Switch: 84955381 GM list $28.52
The bulletin has the in-warranty labor time listed. The out of warranty time can be higher as that bulletin labor time just reflects what GM says the operation should take.

If the bulletin fix fails, or you went to an independent shop for replacement, the shifter is part 13534322 (previously 13520828) listing at $150.09

Those parts/prices can be found here which shows the sale price and GM parts catalog list price (you usually pay list price at the dealer): Select Parts Category - 2017 Chevrolet Malibu | GMPartsDirect.com
I just called the Chevy dealership and brought this up and asked how they got a $900 estimate for parts and they were at a loss for words, said something like “uhh.. I don’t know we do things differently here, but our prices won’t change” so it’s pretty clear to me they were gonna completely screw me over. You definitely saved me here!

The problem also stopped randomly within the past week so if it happens again I’ll come back to this post for specifics and head to a different shop.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
I just called the Chevy dealership and brought this up and asked how they got a $900 estimate for parts and they were at a loss for words, said something like “uhh.. I don’t know we do things differently here, but our prices won’t change” so it’s pretty clear to me they were gonna completely screw me over. You definitely saved me here!

The problem also stopped randomly within the past week so if it happens again I’ll come back to this post for specifics and head to a different shop.
I don't like that, but, giving them the benefit of the doubt: GM has changed this bulletin 3 or 4 times. For a few years the bulletin just had them replace the shifter. They were charging 500-700 for that out of warranty. This latest bulletin revision just came out in December 2020 and is a different procedure. It is possible they do not know of the new procedure and are quoting (still high) based on outdated info because the tech didn't actually search bulletins just recalled from memory. That said, different shop is a good idea if it comes back.

Reactions: n33mb

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently started having the shift to park problem on my 2018 Malibu LT (10,000 miles). It occurs randomly about once every 10 to 15 drive cycles. If I take it to the dealer for repair (under warranty) chances are they won’t be able to reproduce the problem themselves. So, will they take me for my word that my car has this problem? Does this set a diagnostic trouble code? If not, how can I prove that I am having this problem? I guess I could take a picture of the message on the DIC the next time it occurs. I don’t know if this would be proof for them.

I plan to take a copy of the latest TSB when I go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The STP behavior has changed on my '16 Malibu LT in the past month. I got the original wiring harness fix 18 months ago for $75 on the OEM shifter assembly. Over time the message gradually diminished except for shutting off the engine from a cold start after driving 1 mile or less. Now the STP message is displayed about 60% of the time after I shut off the engine, regardless of how long it's been running after a cold or warm start.

However, the harness is doing its electronic thing because the STP message always disappears on its own 5-30 seconds after engine shutoff. Not sure if this is a permanent change in STP behavior or if the harness will eventually not stop the message from going away on its own...time will tell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, now my '18 Malibu LT is giving me the "Shift to Park:" message 4 out of 5 trips. I have scheduled an appointment with my dealer for tomorrow. I will post the result of that appointment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The STP behavior has changed on my '16 Malibu LT in the past month. I got the original wiring harness fix 18 months ago for $75 on the OEM shifter assembly. Over time the message gradually diminished except for shutting off the engine from a cold start after driving 1 mile or less. Now the STP message is displayed about 60% of the time after I shut off the engine, regardless of how long it's been running after a cold or warm start.

However, the harness is doing its electronic thing because the STP message always disappears on its own 5-30 seconds after engine shutoff. Not sure if this is a permanent change in STP behavior or if the harness will eventually not stop the message from going away on its own...time will tell.
Update: Not using the parking brake has almost eliminated the STP message...and when it does happen, it still goes off on its own within 30 seconds. In the past, using the parking brake stopped the STP message, now not using it does. Go figure.

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
18 Posts
I realize there are 300+ posts spanning over 4 yrs. Just would like to see if I could summarize for those new to problem like me? Located next to shifter assembly is a sensor/switch on the end of a conductive v-spring that makes contact w/ metal part of shifter? This tells the car its in park. Over time spring force weakens or contact surface gets dirty, and connection gets weak? Gm denied issue for a couple yrs, dealerships can't reproduce, doesn't exist. People took videos/pictures of shift to park message while clearly in park. TSB issued to replace shifter assembly, worked for some not most? $600+ if your out of warranty, would rather remove console & stretch spring. Most recent TSB replace wire harness/switch, clean contact surface? $40 parts, .80 hrs labor? My last oil change took 1.5 hours! Did I miss anything? Will continue to get worse, no amount of pushing forward/jiggling shifter helps.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,127 Posts
I realize there are 300+ posts spanning over 4 yrs. Just would like to see if I could summarize for those new to problem like me? Located next to shifter assembly is a sensor/switch on the end of a conductive v-spring that makes contact w/ metal part of shifter? This tells the car its in park. Over time spring force weakens or contact surface gets dirty, and connection gets weak? Gm denied issue for a couple yrs, dealerships can't reproduce, doesn't exist. People took videos/pictures of shift to park message while clearly in park. TSB issued to replace shifter assembly, worked for some not most? $600+ if your out of warranty, would rather remove console & stretch spring. Most recent TSB replace wire harness/switch, clean contact surface? $40 parts, .80 hrs labor? My last oil change took 1.5 hours! Did I miss anything? Will continue to get worse, no amount of pushing forward/jiggling shifter helps.
Some generalities are a bit off but pretty close. Most of that is in post 2 as indicated in the discussion title. How is your repair going?

·
Registered
2017 Malibu lt
18 Posts
Only started occurring 2 weeks ago and just happened for 3rd time getting home from work tonight. Was able to push shifter forward harder and make message go away. Haven't been to dealership yet, wanted to do my research first.

381 - 392 of 392 Posts