Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
401 - 420 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading all the posts with this problem, I want to make sure they fix it properly!
Im a bit confused, should I insist on a full shifter and harness replacement? I'm seeing harness is temp fix, yet harness replacement is the recommended fix on bulletin......I'm still under warranty and it's a 2018 of redline, I'm at exactly 18K miles...please advise 😶. I wonder how they will handle a 61yr old lady telling them how to do their job! LOL
Btw, this forum is awesome, lots of helpful info...thank you so much

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,898 Posts
@Bettelou

The most recent bulletin (see post 2) instructs the tech to replace the faulty switch that is part of the shifter along with adding a new harness. We don't have any data on whether it works long term yet. We'll know in a few years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Bettelou

The most recent bulletin (see post 2) instructs the tech to replace the faulty switch that is part of the shifter along with adding a new harness. We don't have any data on whether it works long term yet. We'll know in a few years.
Thanks for replying, this is making me nervous, guess I just have to wait and see if fix works campb292, you've been very helpful...it's appreciated 😁

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I took my car to the Dealer and if course during the time they had my car it didn't happen. But they did so a recall while they had my car! ? Of course 2 days later it happened again I had to let it run while I ran in a store because I just couldn't get it to turn off. I did manage to get it to turn off after shifting to park letting it idle and then turning off. I did take a video of it but th e dealer said they couldn't find what was wrong if it didn't do it while they had my car. I'm really afraid one time it's not going to turn off at work or some where that I can't let it run for a little bit.
There is a video on you tube showing the 'shift-to-park' condition and what's the problem with it. I had to change the whole shifter mechanism, twice, both under regular warranty and the extended one. The dealer said on the 2nd time that GM changed the faulty switch mechanism with a new electrical ruff. So far, no problem yet!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi coco...had my repair on Thursday...shifter feels firmer...I'm hoping they used the new part you mentioned ... Thankfully I'm still under warranty until 2022...I surely hope this is proper fix

I just have to add...that having to duplicate the issue while there is b.s....makes me mad...thankfully they didn't try that! They know its an issue and that you're not lying and going there for nothing..its red tape..lol..getting off my podium

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dealer just told me $580 for the repair. They want to replace the entire shifter. I went ahead and ordered the $3.47 switch and will do it myself. Between this and the wonky media center and the leaky rear brake light I think this is my last GM product.

·
Super Moderator
3,898 Posts
My dealer just told me $580 for the repair. They want to replace the entire shifter. I went ahead and ordered the $3.47 switch and will do it myself. Between this and the wonky media center and the leaky rear brake light I think this is my last GM product.
Good job trying the switch replacement yourself! For a minor time investment it is a big savings! Which year/trim do you own?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just did this fix last Friday. I maintain that the switch itself isn't the problem.
The shift mechanism sticks and doesn't trip the switch. It's not even the shifter itself, but the shift knob assembly. This is why you see some videos claiming that bending the switch trip arm is all you need to do. This is only successful because it allows the switch to trip even if the mechanism doesn't fully return. A little greaseless lubrication to remedy the sticking shifter knob is all that's really needed.
The plastic release button on the front of the shift knob is what needs to fully return to activate the switch.
When I installed the jumper, I also sprayed silicone spray on the plastic trip levers inside the shift knob as that is what sticks.
I believe this is why replacing the shifter itself doesn't fix the issue long term.
Installing the jumper allows the car to determine that it's in park using other parameters even if the switch doesn't make, so this fixes it even if the shift knob continues to stick.
Don't spray anything on the shift knob without removing it first since it does have switches inside for manual shift mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems to be a common problem, I have a 2017 that has been doing this for a month. Is there a known factory issue that the locally dealership can fix?

Hi Bharat,

We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing this concern with your Malibu, and understand how worrisome this must be. We assure you that your safety is of the utmost importance to us. If you would like for us to look into this further, and reach out to your dealership regarding further clarification, please let us know in a private message! Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information, and dealers name.

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit Privacy Statement | General Motors

Bret B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Super Moderator
3,898 Posts
Seems to be a common problem, I have a 2017 that has been doing this for a month. Is there a known factory issue that the locally dealership can fix?
Dealers are aware. Some go by the book and must reproduce it if under warranty. Others/most just fix it without need to reproduce. Most of the info is in post 2. The majority of problems are the switch inside the shifter which GM says is the problem in their bulletin. Some other problems can occur also but are less common. You can diy this repair multiple ways.

I see you quoted Chevy Customer Service... they don't care and haven't posted in years.

Also, there have been a couple lawsuits over the years for this. Not much has come from that at least for other owners. There was a recent larger class action started. Class actions are often useless for owners but great for lawyers. In this case, much like the accelerator pedal and resulting program, I bet we see a special coverage program released in the coming months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fixed my 2016 about 15 minutes ago. Took about 20 minutes total. Half that was removing the shifter. I was concerned about breaking it. Will be on a road trip at the end of the week. Good test of the repair.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went with rubber tube on the mechanism that presses the switch. I bought a switch but I don't seem to need it.
Yes, because the switch isn't the problem. The switch not tripping due to the shift mechanism hanging up is the issue in every video I've seen posted about this.

·
Super Moderator
3,898 Posts
Yes, because the switch isn't the problem. The switch not tripping due to the shift mechanism hanging up is the issue in every video I've seen posted about this.
The problem with this issue is there seems to be multiple causes. A fix for one owner doesn't mean it is a fix for every owner. For example, for a long time GM's fix was a harness with a little jumper. It worked long term for almost no one - I think it worked for one owner on this forum. GM rescinded that bulletin and later included the jumper as part of a much more extensive repair process. On the Hybrid, "shift to park" can be triggered by a fault of the shifter just like any Malibu or by a catastrophic internal failure of the voltec unit. A couple forum members had to have the whole drive unit replaced and GM released a bulletin after numerous failures.

Have you made a guide or video showing how to implement your preferred fix?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The problem with this issue is there seems to be multiple causes. A fix for one owner doesn't mean it is a fix for every owner. For example, for a long time GM's fix was a harness with a little jumper. It worked long term for almost no one - I think it worked for one owner on this forum. GM rescinded that bulletin and later included the jumper as part of a much more extensive repair process. On the Hybrid, "shift to park" can be triggered by a fault of the shifter just like any Malibu or by a catastrophic internal failure of the voltec unit. A couple forum members had to have the whole drive unit replaced and GM released a bulletin after numerous failures.

Have you made a guide or video showing how to implement your preferred fix?
I didn't make one but there are several videos showing the switch just not getting tripped like I experienced. I would expect the car to throw all sorts of codes when the park verification sequence gets interrupted. I wonder if some dealers were throwing parts at it based on all the codes. I do remember those threads.
So far, the fix is working for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Chevy Malibu and about 2 weeks ago started doing this. After I put in park - it comes up with "Shift to Park" and car still running. Can't turn car off. I have 90,000 miles on it so no bumper to bumper warranty (go figure).

·
Registered
34 Posts
i think i just read somewhere just recently there is a class action suite , about this problem that extends into the equinox and a few other models , may be worth doing some goggle searches , article said it was a known problem by gm
i had that problem start last winter , got the harness to put in but traded the car in on a 21 rs , my 16 i traded was way better of a car , hands down best car i ever owned , even with that problem, and 3rd braklight leak

401 - 420 of 447 Posts