Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
421 - 432 of 432 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,388 Posts
There is another class action currently. The first couple died off but I think this one has a little more meat on the bone. I posted some comments on this back up in post 412. Basically the class action itself is great for the lawyers and pennies for the consumer but it may give GM a kick to finally create a special coverage program. It worked on the pedal position sensor/pedal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any video regarding switching out the switch? Really like some kind of directions for this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 chevy Malibu and i am having the same issue i feel like my car has been in the shop more than i have got to drive it. the first issue i had was a transmission issue and now this it is a pain that ever time i drive my car anywhere i have to worry if it is going to pop up on the dash "shift into park" when it is already in park. My dealer refuses to fix it due to GM came in and hooked there computer to it and it didn't throw a code what good is having warranty if the dealer will not fix it. grrrrrrr!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starting last week I been having issue with my shift gear registered to the censor. Which is very annoying to have to play with it just so it can turn off. I told it to the dealers and they told me I have to leave my car to just diagnose it for 4 to 5 days. Also the service esc come on and off frequently. I can’t do due to work and kids have practice and my only transportation. I have ask about a car loaner and they told me there isn’t any. I don’t want the problems to get worst and don’t know any other options. Any idea can be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
The loaners problem is tough but probably real. The 2nd post of this thread has the bulletin. It does have pictures and step by step of the repair if you want to get the parts and repair yourself. You could even buy the shifter and just replace it using that bulletin as a guide if you want to avoid fiddling around to replace one junk switch with another junk switch. If your car is under warranty, I'd call the dealer again, explain you can't be without a car for 5 days and have the bulletin. If they still want to play around with the car for 5 days, call Chevy Customer Assistance and ask for help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any video regarding switching out the switch? Really like some kind of directions for this.
Fix:
I have a 2015 Malibu LTZ and was able to fix the "SHIFT TO PARK" issue with a $3.42 micro switch. There are many YouTube videos showing this. Video showing micro-switch replacement

It's easy. But first - BLOCK THE REAR TIRES AND PUT THE PARKING BRAKE ON! Then start the car and place the shifter in Drive and shut the engine off. WHY block the rear tires? Because if you accidentally hit the shifter into Neutral while doing this work, your car will roll forward or backwards! When you remove the shifter bezel and shifter, you won't know what gear you're in. So it CAN happen.

Pry up the shift indicator bezel and twist while pulling up on the shifter knob with the boot. Only a small pressure ring holds the shifter on the shaft and it will pop right off. You can't break anything. Next pry up the entire top of your console. Only clips hold it down. No screws. Disconnect the two small wire connectors hanging down and put the console aside with the shifter and boot you removed. Now you'll see the large black plastic shifter mechanism, which you DON'T have to spend $95 on to replace (plus big labor $ if a dealer does it). And you DO NOT have to remove the entire console or that shifter! The YouTube video link above will show you where to remove a small black plastic cover that is hiding the defective microswitch, which is causing the problem. It's facing the passenger side and easy to get to.

Pry the microswitch out with a small screwdriver and you'll see two round studs on the back that push into two holes. The switch has a pair of wires soldered to the left 2 out of 3 small metal connectors. I pulled the switch out with the wire and cut it where it makes a left turn into an open area of the shifter mechanism. Then I soldered two new wires onto the new replacement micro switch, installed it by lining up the two studs in the back of it, and connected the two new wires to the cut original wires. And that's it. Reconnect both console leads hanging down and snap it down in place. Then wack the shifter down and snap the trim piece down. Done.

You can buy the new microswitch from Digi-Key Electronics for $3.42, plus a $5 shipping fee. It's the exact one that GM used in your shifter. This is their ordering site Digi-Key micro-switch D2HW-BL221H site There is also a short wire harness that plugs into the back of the shifter mechanism, which is another fix to this problem. I just received it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to bother to install it because I know replacing the micro switch fixed the issue for me. This is the link to installing that patch cable in the rear of the shifter mechanism. Video showing GM patch cable installation

·
Registered
73 Posts
While I know this is the "Shift to Park" thread and I do experience it from time to time on my '18 LT I have started to notice another issue with the shifter that I was curious to see if anyone else has seen.

-Almost daily I cannot upshift from L1-L6 at all, I'll place the shifter in L (sometimes it shows as L and sometimes L1) while stationary and press the up button but nothing happens and it stays in L
or
- I get it to upshift to L6. Start driving down the road and it's in L4 (shows on the display). This morning I had it in L6 while at a stop light and then "Auto-Stop" kicked in. Looks down and it was in L (not L6)

Not sure if they are related (to the Shift to Park) but may be something electrical vice mechanical.

No codes, no lights, no nothing. Just changes on it's own.

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
While I know this is the "Shift to Park" thread and I do experience it from time to time on my '18 LT I have started to notice another issue with the shifter that I was curious to see if anyone else has seen.

-Almost daily I cannot upshift from L1-L6 at all, I'll place the shifter in L (sometimes it shows as L and sometimes L1) while stationary and press the up button but nothing happens and it stays in L
or
- I get it to upshift to L6. Start driving down the road and it's in L4 (shows on the display). This morning I had it in L6 while at a stop light and then "Auto-Stop" kicked in. Looks down and it was in L (not L6)

Not sure if they are related (to the Shift to Park) but may be something electrical vice mechanical.

No codes, no lights, no nothing. Just changes on it's own.
That is a malfunction. Not just that it looses what "L" range that it is in but it is an error that Auto Stop is activating in L at all. That means the BCM isn't receiving the signal from the shifter that it is in L. I would guess since you note you get the "shift to park" once in a while that something similar is happening regarding being in L. Why the ECM is bowing down to the BCM that much is a mystery but it is what it is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2018 Malibu. 12/26/19 the shift harness jumper recall was performed. Fast forward to the last week, I’m now getting the “shift to park” message but it’s intermittent, jiggling the shifter doesn’t work but it usually clears itself in about 5-7 minutes. I’ve noticed it happens when I drive for longer periods 20-30 min but also get it on short drives a time or 2. I also notice it if I put it in park after I turn the ignition off. My question is, has anybody had this problem AFTER recall was performed? And if it was intermittent, did it become a daily thing soon after? I have to take it to Chevy but they want $145-$165 to diagnose it and I don’t want them to not find it and I’m out that money. My bumper to bumper warranty ended April 2021 and I have 29k miles as of now so they want over $700 to replace shifter if it needs it.

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
I have a 2018 Malibu. 12/26/19 the shift harness jumper recall was performed. Fast forward to the last week, I’m now getting the “shift to park” message but it’s intermittent, jiggling the shifter doesn’t work but it usually clears itself in about 5-7 minutes. I’ve noticed it happens when I drive for longer periods 20-30 min but also get it on short drives a time or 2. I also notice it if I put it in park after I turn the ignition off. My question is, has anybody had this problem AFTER recall was performed? And if it was intermittent, did it become a daily thing soon after? I have to take it to Chevy but they want $145-$165 to diagnose it and I don’t want them to not find it and I’m out that money. My bumper to bumper warranty ended April 2021 and I have 29k miles as of now so they want over $700 to replace shifter if it needs it.
1) There is no recall on the shifter.
2) There is no special program on the shifter. There should be.
3) There is a bulletin. That bulletin has been revised at least 5 times. The most recent bulletin is in post 2 of this thread.
4) The jumper harness by itself does nothing. If it has it must be rare as I can't recall and can point to a dozen cases it hasn't worked long term.
5) So far there is no proven fix for this. Several people have had the shifter replaced multiple times. I am on my 4th. Is the 4th finally fixed? I'll know in a year or two.
6) Some have taken to fiddling with the little micro switch - that rarely lasts long term. Replacing the switch has had better results and is more in line with the current official fix but time will tell. A couple members just remove the upper shifter boot/knob and lube the shifter lever knob mechanism so it snaps back better. That worked for one member but didn't work long term for another.

Being 7 years into gen9, in the spirit of holding feet to the fire, this one looks like a defect by design or at least acceptable defect since GM has done nothing to take responsibility. It continues to affect up to 4 model years of the Acadia, Volt, Traverse, Blazer, and Malibu.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had the harness for 2 years now and it's worked very well. The STP message happens about 60% of the time now and when it does, it always goes away on its own after 5-30 seconds. It comes and goes in cycles. Sometimes it'll happen after every ignition shutoff for several days. Other times, it won't come on at all for several days. As long as the harness is doing it electronic thing, I won't be getting a new shifter assembly. BTW the TSB mentions that it's critical to clean the contact points thoroughly in the shifter before installing the harness, else the fix won't work.

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
I've had the harness for 2 years now and it's worked very well. The STP message happens about 60% of the time now and when it does, it always goes away on its own after 5-30 seconds. It comes and goes in cycles. Sometimes it'll happen after every ignition shutoff for several days. Other times, it won't come on at all for several days. As long as the harness is doing it electronic thing, I won't be getting a new shifter assembly. BTW the TSB mentions that it's critical to clean the contact points thoroughly in the shifter before installing the harness, else the fix won't work.
That is a great example of why GM abandoned the jumper harness by itself as a possible fix. It didn't work. The harness is now part of a much larger fix but time will tell if the current process finally works long term.

421 - 432 of 432 Posts