Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
441 - 447 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
That latest revision of bulletin #19-NA-206 can be read here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10198852-9999.pdf
The TSB provides that this issue impacts models built prior to April 2, 2019, which was a Tuesday. The tag on my 2019's door frame provides that my car was built in April 2019, without a specific date. Does anyone know how I can determine the precise build date? The odds are in my favor but it would be nice to know. Fortunately, I haven't had this problem yet. Thx.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,898 Posts
The TSB provides that this issue impacts models built prior to April 2, 2019, which was a Tuesday. The tag on my 2019's door frame provides that my car was built in April 2019, without a specific date. Does anyone know how I can determine the precise build date? The odds are in my favor but it would be nice to know. Fortunately, I haven't had this problem yet. Thx.
The precise date is on the build sheet. Previously owners could get one free and quick by mailing socialmedia @ gm.com with the VIN but another member recently wrote they started charging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a pain in the butt for what has been a great car up to now. Dealer has been good with fixing it but corporate should have/ should issue a recall. Conversation with corporate has been disappointing so far, to say the least. Clearly, they don't want to take back market share from Honda & Toyota. The fact that this has been an ongoing issue for GM since 2016 and they haven't issued a recall is unacceptable. No bailout for GM when they fail next time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The shift to park problem finally impacted my 19 LT with 26K. Started yesterday, and continued today. A slight wiggle on the shifter makes it go away; a neat little trick I learned by following this very thread. Going in for dealer service later this week, still under warranty so it should be painless. I'll report back afterward to identify whatever fix is provided by the dealer service tech. The first problem ever for my Bu - it has been flawless until now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today I found out about a class action lawsuit against GM for the shift to park issue affecting the Malibu, Blazer, Traverse and Volt. I contacted the lead law firm in Michigan who are forwarding my info to the correct firm for my state. Might not be neccesary as all owners should be included in any settlement but being officially added can't hurt.

JURY TRIAL DEMAND
Plaintiffs hereby demand a jury trial for any and all issues in this action so triable.
Dated: August 17, 2021
/s/ David H. Fink
FINK BRESSACK
David H. Fink (P28235)
Nathan J. Fink (P75185)
38500 Woodward Ave, Suite 350 Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
Telephone: (248) 971-2500
[email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
269 Posts
Got my '17 MH (built in Dec. 2016) back from the dealership after the 19-NA-206 S-T-P repair. All is well again. To my knowledge, I don't believe the dealer contacted GM about getting it covered...instead, they chose to submit the $445 bill to my extended insurance, which did agree to cover the repair (for $365). The funny thing is, while the MH was at the dealer, my '17 Volt LT started exhibiting the same S-T-P issue. To add insult to injury, the Volt had already had the 19-NA-206 repair conducted about four years ago as a recall...even though I had never had any issues with it. But now, yes...having issues!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,898 Posts
I'm not convinced they can fix it long term. I'm on my forth shifter at 125k miles. I even have two after the magic April 2 2019 date. All covered by warranty or service contract but those are both gone now and I'd be on my own if it happened again.

As for the class action(s), hopefully those produce a replace and reimburse program from GM. When they filed on the accelerator pedal position sensor within months GM created the program covering it to 150,000 miles. Time will tell.

441 - 447 of 447 Posts