Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
441 - 453 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
That latest revision of bulletin #19-NA-206 can be read here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10198852-9999.pdf
The TSB provides that this issue impacts models built prior to April 2, 2019, which was a Tuesday. The tag on my 2019's door frame provides that my car was built in April 2019, without a specific date. Does anyone know how I can determine the precise build date? The odds are in my favor but it would be nice to know. Fortunately, I haven't had this problem yet. Thx.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,977 Posts
The TSB provides that this issue impacts models built prior to April 2, 2019, which was a Tuesday. The tag on my 2019's door frame provides that my car was built in April 2019, without a specific date. Does anyone know how I can determine the precise build date? The odds are in my favor but it would be nice to know. Fortunately, I haven't had this problem yet. Thx.
The precise date is on the build sheet. Previously owners could get one free and quick by mailing socialmedia @ gm.com with the VIN but another member recently wrote they started charging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a pain in the butt for what has been a great car up to now. Dealer has been good with fixing it but corporate should have/ should issue a recall. Conversation with corporate has been disappointing so far, to say the least. Clearly, they don't want to take back market share from Honda & Toyota. The fact that this has been an ongoing issue for GM since 2016 and they haven't issued a recall is unacceptable. No bailout for GM when they fail next time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The shift to park problem finally impacted my 19 LT with 26K. Started yesterday, and continued today. A slight wiggle on the shifter makes it go away; a neat little trick I learned by following this very thread. Going in for dealer service later this week, still under warranty so it should be painless. I'll report back afterward to identify whatever fix is provided by the dealer service tech. The first problem ever for my Bu - it has been flawless until now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today I found out about a class action lawsuit against GM for the shift to park issue affecting the Malibu, Blazer, Traverse and Volt. I contacted the lead law firm in Michigan who are forwarding my info to the correct firm for my state. Might not be neccesary as all owners should be included in any settlement but being officially added can't hurt.

JURY TRIAL DEMAND
Plaintiffs hereby demand a jury trial for any and all issues in this action so triable.
Dated: August 17, 2021
/s/ David H. Fink
FINK BRESSACK
David H. Fink (P28235)
Nathan J. Fink (P75185)
38500 Woodward Ave, Suite 350 Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
Telephone: (248) 971-2500
[email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
269 Posts
Got my '17 MH (built in Dec. 2016) back from the dealership after the 19-NA-206 S-T-P repair. All is well again. To my knowledge, I don't believe the dealer contacted GM about getting it covered...instead, they chose to submit the $445 bill to my extended insurance, which did agree to cover the repair (for $365). The funny thing is, while the MH was at the dealer, my '17 Volt LT started exhibiting the same S-T-P issue. To add insult to injury, the Volt had already had the 19-NA-206 repair conducted about four years ago as a recall...even though I had never had any issues with it. But now, yes...having issues!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,977 Posts
I'm not convinced they can fix it long term. I'm on my forth shifter at 125k miles. I even have two after the magic April 2 2019 date. All covered by warranty or service contract but those are both gone now and I'd be on my own if it happened again.

As for the class action(s), hopefully those produce a replace and reimburse program from GM. When they filed on the accelerator pedal position sensor within months GM created the program covering it to 150,000 miles. Time will tell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The shift to park problem finally impacted my 19 LT with 26K. Started yesterday, and continued today. A slight wiggle on the shifter makes it go away; a neat little trick I learned by following this very thread. Going in for dealer service later this week, still under warranty so it should be painless. I'll report back afterward to identify whatever fix is provided by the dealer service tech. The first problem ever for my Bu - it has been flawless until now.
As an update, the dealer tech couldn't reproduce the issue, nor were any codes stored, so they didn't do anything - I bit my lip about all of the stuff I learned on this site to see whether they would do the right thing - sad. The shift to park message happens about every fourth time I stop the engine, so I suppose I could have sat there and fiddled with it until it happened in real-time while the tech was watching, but it appears that any repair at this point wouldn't really solve the issue, only kick the can down the road. So I took photos and videos of it happening with the odometer plainly in view for my records to fight that fight later on and just keep an eye on it. Fortunately, at the moment, only one squeeze of the shifter trigger is sufficient to clear the shift to park message, but I suppose that will get worse over time too. Curious whether GM either really doesn't know how to fix this (which is just plain scary if you think about it) or they just did the math and don't really care to fix it (which is not as scary, but much sadder). We'll see what the class action lawsuits will do to help resolve this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2015 Malibu does this at random Times last year my 2016 premier had service transmission pop up on dash took it to the dealer they had to replace the whole gear shifter now about a week or two ago I'm get the shift to park pop up on the dash like the shifter they put in isn't even a year old but I did find a really good video on YouTube where you can fix it your self

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2015 Malibu does this at random Times last year my 2016 premier had service transmission pop up on dash took it to the dealer they had to replace the whole gear shifter now about a week or two ago I'm get the shift to park pop up on the dash like the shifter they put in isn't even a year old but I did find a really good video on YouTube where you can fix it your self
If you do successfully fix it yourself, please share how. From everything I have read to date, it isn't really fixable long term unless you just completely bypass that microswitch (described below), which should eliminate the "shift to park" warning entirely. One thing I am concerned about is whether this suggested bypass may trigger any other unforeseen issues. But it sounds promising since the "shift to park" warning isn't an essential feature (unless, of course, you need to be reminded to place the car in park before shutting down).

Here is the comment as pulled from the GM Authority website - I have no idea whether the below is accurate, just passing it along:

I have a 2018 Malibu that had the shift to park problem. I did a permanent fix by cutting the black and blue wires that go to the switch that’s below the shifter by stripping the insulation on the wires back about a half inch. Twist the bare wires together and cover with electrical tape. This bypass the microswitch and you will never have that shift to park problem again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Personally, I think the entire issue is just a sticking mechanism not triggering the switch. I fixed mine by removing the shift knob assembly, dousing the switch with contact cleaner (don't think the switch was the problem) and shooting up the moving parts in the shifter outer housing with silicone spray. I also installed the bypass/jumper harness at that time. If we do get the message (rarely), a flick of the shifter release button is all it takes. I believe the jumper allows the car to verify the park position even if it is out of sequence, so it's never caused a problem where we can't shut off or lock the car. Without the jumper, the car looked for verification of park in a specific order with the switch needing to be made first. If it got out of order, that's when it wouldn't let you do anything else, and I believe the jumper prevents that.

·
Registered
2016 1LT 1.5T
99 Posts
If you do successfully fix it yourself, please share how.
I was able to fix mine by bending the metal tab on the switch. You will need to remove the shifter knob and shifter cover plate. The switch is located on the right side of the shifter assembly, behind a small plastic cover. This switch contains a small metal tab, which gradually bends into a concave shape over time. This natural bending causes a weak contact on the switch button. If you SLIGHTLY bend the metal tab in the opposite direction, it will make good contact with the switch button once again. I did this to my 2016 twice. It worked for about six months after the first mod. The second time, I bent the tab more aggressively and it work until I sold the vehicle, which was about a year later.

441 - 453 of 453 Posts