Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
461 - 467 of 467 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,106 Posts
Just came on when car is turned off
Very common. This discussion has all the info you might need to get it fixed or fix it yourself. If you do require any assistance beyond what this written here be sure to let us know what year/trim/engine you have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This Happened on my 2016 Malibu and now on my 2019 Malibu. I only have 39,800 miles on it. This is an ongoing issue for the past several years and nothing is being done about it. Then our Warrant is up and you don't want to fix it even though you know the problem exists. I am an avid Chevy owner my whole life I've owned nothing but Chevy's. I owned a 79 Camaro, 84 Z28, 97 Tahoe, 00 Impala, 16 Malibu, and now a 19 Malibu. And it seems the Malibu keeps having the same issues from year to year and nothing is being done costing us more and more every year. As much as I love Chevy I'm ready to change to Toyota or Honda if this continues. I am thinking of joining in on the lawsuit against GM because of this issue but I rather just have my Malibu fixed for free because it should be a recall anyway. We should not be having these problems with under 40,000 miles on these vehicles its ridiculous. And having it happened on 2 separate years of the same car even more ridiculous. Something needs to be done or your gonna lose a diehard Chevy fan and/or Fans.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,570 Posts
This Happened on my 2016 Malibu and now on my 2019 Malibu. I only have 39,800 miles on it. This is an ongoing issue for the past several years and nothing is being done about it. Then our Warrant is up and you don't want to fix it even though you know the problem exists. I am an avid Chevy owner my whole life I've owned nothing but Chevy's. I owned a 79 Camaro, 84 Z28, 97 Tahoe, 00 Impala, 16 Malibu, and now a 19 Malibu. And it seems the Malibu keeps having the same issues from year to year and nothing is being done costing us more and more every year. As much as I love Chevy I'm ready to change to Toyota or Honda if this continues. I am thinking of joining in on the lawsuit against GM because of this issue but I rather just have my Malibu fixed for free because it should be a recall anyway. We should not be having these problems with under 40,000 miles on these vehicles its ridiculous. And having it happened on 2 separate years of the same car even more ridiculous. Something needs to be done or your gonna lose a diehard Chevy fan and/or Fans.
Your concern about your vehicle needs to go to the right people. Here at CMF, we're just owners like you.

A recall is usually reserved for things that are life-threatening. The STP (shift to park) issue doesn't actually meet that criteria, but it is very irritating.

One would think that it isn't so hard to design something that works as it should, but when you toss in computers with low-voltage sensing and communication networks, it can become way more difficult than it should be. In my opinion, there is little need for a device to "tell" the BCM how it feels and if it found the way you shifted to have been acceptable or not. It's just a shifter, after all.

It goes to the heart of the issue itself when the ones who designed it can't even figure out the issue and fix it, design a better one that works, or re-use a time-tested version that works.

Maybe what they need is a healthy dose of Common Sense, which seems to be sadly lacking in so many places these days, not just that shifter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone ,

I have Malibu 2019 and started seeing shift to park Intermittent then it became permanent ...so i take the car to the dealership and they said they will bring by pass harness for it

Now they installed the harness and said all OK however to days later the Intermittent started to show again and then stop show for a few days

I need to ask any of you have expericned that this message shows again after the harness was installed ... my understanding is that this harness shoul make the message impossible to show or do i understand incorrectly ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,106 Posts
Hi everyone ,

I have Malibu 2019 and started seeing shift to park Intermittent then it became permanent ...so i take the car to the dealership and they said they will bring by pass harness for it

Now they installed the harness and said all OK however to days later the Intermittent started to show again and then stop show for a few days

I need to ask any of you have expericned that this message shows again after the harness was installed ... my understanding is that this harness shoul make the message impossible to show or do i understand incorrectly ?
Replacing the harness alone never stopped the message long term. The most recent bulletin must be followed that includes harness AND switch replacement.

Reactions: mmazmy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Replacing the harness alone never stopped the message long term. The most recent bulletin must be followed that includes harness AND switch replacement.
That's true, but there's always the cost-benefit analysis if you have to pay out of pocket for the switch replacement. With the switch cleaning and harness that I got installed almost 3 years ago, I've never had to wait more than 30 seconds for the STP to shut off, and most times it's less than 10. That's when it does come on, which is about 40% of the time now. An acceptable outcome for the $50 I paid for the fix.

461 - 467 of 467 Posts