Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shift to Park message (see post #2 for current info)

460K views 491 replies 186 participants last post by  campb292 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My message board tells me to shift into park, after I have turned the vehicle off. I then have to turn the lights off manually. When I exit my car with my key fob with me, it beeps 3 times and the dash lights remain on. Anyone know what could be the issue? I am calling my local dealership once it opens this morning.

MODERATOR EDIT: See post #2 for current info.

#2 ·
This is a very long discussion spanning many years. This post has been edited to summarize and provide current information as of September 2023.

The problem:
When shifting to Park and turning off the engine a message may appear on the DIC that says "Shift to Park". While the engine turns off, certain electronics remain on if the "Shift to Park" message is displayed. This can lead to battery drain or failure and affects all trims and model years 2016-2019. There seem to be several possible causes including a small switch inside the shifter that is either defective, wears out, develops corrosion on contact points, or the shift mechanism and/or trigger button sticks. Either way, there is a secondary switch inside the shifter that must be triggered to confirm the park shift to the BCM and verify the car is in park. The car is in park, but the secondary safety verification switch is not confirming it.

Temporary workarounds or possible no cost/low cost DIY repair:
Wiggling, clicking the trigger button, slamming the shifter forward, or a combination can make the message temporarily disappear. Toward the middle-end of this discussion (pg 10) there are some repair tips/procedures for disassembling and manipulating the switch - for some it has worked longer-term but for others it only worked days/weeks. There is a DIY full microswitch replacement on page 17 that has worked well. The most recent bulletin (see below) also has full steps with pictures and part numbers describing switch and jumper harness replacement. Post 489 has a solution that uses a jumper and disables the secondary check altogether.

Official/professional repair:
Previously, the fix for this was replacing the entire shifter per bulletin #18-NA-297 (discontinued) and bulletin #19-NA-206 following installation of a new harness. There are a few reports of recurrence when replacing the shifter so repeat failure seems rare but possible. A new updated bulletin #19-NA-206 has been released with a modified fix procedure that is a mix of a clumsy 6 page repair to replace the faulty switch and add a harness or shifter replacement. If you encounter this issue under bumper to bumper warranty it should be repaired by a dealer free of charge. If outside warranty, prices have ranged from $150 to $700. I haven't seen prices since the most recent fix procedure was released. If your dealer cannot reproduce the problem or locate the bulletin, provide bulletin #19-NA-206. I personally had the current bulletin repair performed in January 2021 and it has been 32 months since I have seen the error.

That latest revision of bulletin #19-NA-206 can be read here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10198852-9999.pdf

#440 ·
That latest revision of bulletin #19-NA-206 can be read here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10198852-9999.pdf
The TSB provides that this issue impacts models built prior to April 2, 2019, which was a Tuesday. The tag on my 2019's door frame provides that my car was built in April 2019, without a specific date. Does anyone know how I can determine the precise build date? The odds are in my favor but it would be nice to know. Fortunately, I haven't had this problem yet. Thx.

#3 ·
This looks like an ongoing issue and dealers are reluctant to fix. My Chevy Malibu 2014 2lz does the same and its so annoying. I took it to the dealer, the dealer says the technician did not find any error code and it did not happen when the technician wanted to see. The time I gave the car to the dealer with the problem on it even noticed by the service person. It does at least 90 percent of time and I am scared to get out of the car. It looks like the dealer is lingering to have me out of warranty period expired.

#261 ·
Agreed. Had mine in just before 36,000 miles and imagine that.. they couldn't get the problem to act up. Now at 43,000 its happening constantly and I get to pay to fix their issue. Sad since I love every other thing about the car other than this. Buying a new truck and its gonna be a Ford.. thanks Chevy

#4 ·
Hi Bharat,

We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing this concern with your Malibu, and understand how worrisome this must be. We assure you that your safety is of the utmost importance to us. If you would like for us to look into this further, and reach out to your dealership regarding further clarification, please let us know in a private message! Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information, and dealers name.

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit GM Privacy Statement

Bret B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#306 ·
Hi Bharat,

We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing this concern with your Malibu, and understand how worrisome this must be. We assure you that your safety is of the utmost importance to us. If you would like for us to look into this further, and reach out to your dealership regarding further clarification, please let us know in a private message! Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information, and dealers name.

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit Privacy Statement | General Motors

Bret B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I am having that same problem with my 2018 Chevy Malibu w/42200 miles on it. The dealer wants to charge me for an obvious defect in the vehicle. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. With all that's going on in the world today, I would hope Chevrolet will do the right thing.

#437 ·
This issue manifests when the car is in park. My 15 Cruze LTZ has been doing it for a while and last night it caused my battery to die. Couldn't even jump it, I had to take the battery to AZ for a recharge. Once I replace it, my Cruze is sitting until I'm off of work to take it to Chevy. Thankfully, I have a Traverse that still runs fairly well to get around.

#9 ·
Just started happening to me also. 2016 LT. Indicator on dash shows in P but error message after you turn off ignition says "shift into park" If you get out the radio and lights stay on. Sometime can get to stop by restarting and shifting through gears. Seems to be getting worse daily.

#10 · (Edited)
Well I took my car to the Dealer and if course during the time they had my car it didn't happen. But they did so a recall while they had my car! ? Of course 2 days later it happened again I had to let it run while I ran in a store because I just couldn't get it to turn off. I did manage to get it to turn off after shifting to park letting it idle and then turning off. I did take a video of it but th e dealer said they couldn't find what was wrong if it didn't do it while they had my car. I'm really afraid one time it's not going to turn off at work or some where that I can't let it run for a little bit.

#404 ·
There is a video on you tube showing the 'shift-to-park' condition and what's the problem with it. I had to change the whole shifter mechanism, twice, both under regular warranty and the extended one. The dealer said on the 2nd time that GM changed the faulty switch mechanism with a new electrical ruff. So far, no problem yet!

#16 ·
The problem is the shifter assembly there is a switch inside that only comes with the assembly the problem wont show on any error codes the dealerships tech will need to call gm tech support and they will advise them to replace the shifter under warranty as long as your warrantys still valid

#18 ·
My 2016 Malibu is in for the same problem right now. Dealer says they have had a number of reports of this, but they have never been able to duplicate it. It happens to me at least daily now. But knowing my car, it will behave today. Had transmission hiccup and dealer was unable to duplicate that as well. On occasion my message center will say steering assist reduced when breaking. That too has never been duplicated. I have pics of the messages, but that doesn't seem to help once its at the dealer.

#21 ·
I have a 2016 Chevy Malibu and am experiencing this same "Shift to Park" issue. The lights stay on, the radio stays on....I have to manually turn them off. It beeps when I get out of the car and then won't lock with the key fob. I've stood there a few after getting out of the car to see if the inside lights go off and they do, eventually. So does the dash indicator, but the ignition switch shows yellow, as if it isn't fully off. There are times when I've returned to my car and found the park lights on.

I've taken it to the dealership twice and both times they've told me that they can't duplicate the problem and there isn't an error code for it, though the chauffeurs who shuttled me home said it was a pretty common issue and it was a sensor in the drive shift. I wonder if the techs even checked the drive shift sensors. I'm so frustrated with them and now I'll have to take it to them a 3rd time, in the hopes that they'll get it right this time.

If it weren't the fact that it's under warranty, I'd take it to my personal mechanic because I know he'd do better.

#22 ·
Came to this website again to see if I was the only one! Thankfully I'm not!

I have a 2016 LT and this Shift To Park message just came on this week. Two days ago I had to turn on the car, shift thru gears then turn it off 3 times. Yesterday it took me 5 times. Have there not been a recall or anything on this?? Does anyone know what warranty category this falls under? Does anyone know if GM/Chevrolet is being helpful with this issue when the dealership calls? I want to take this to the dealership before it's too late. I have about 35K miles on mine.

Thanks!

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Vanessa,

I have seen this before. The next time it happens, try to give the shift knob a little extra push to make sure all the sensors are reading "Park". Let me know if this works.

I suspect this is what you did when you cycled the shifter 5 times before. On the last one, you pushed a little harder on the shifter knob and all the sensors are reading "Park" which then shuts down all the electronics.

Let me know if this works:

#23 ·
@Vanessa :

Get that thing to the dealer. I do not know of a recall for this issue nor a service update. There are however several service bulletins but they are all related to the Hybrid. Perhaps they have been extended to the LS/LT/Premier.

As for warranty, it is likely bumper to bumper 3-year/36k and not powertrain 60k unless the problem is internal to the engine or transmission. GM is pretty restrictive about sensors/wiring/connectors under powertrain that it is likely related to. If the bumper to bumper lapses of course demand it is covered via powertain since the transmission is not operating correctly.

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty

Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

#26 ·
@thonati

I removed your somewhat-hidden personal email from 3 posts. It is strongly recommended that neither you nor anyone else reading this should place personal information in a public place like this. It could lead to identity theft or other issues!

There is a method on this site where a member can safely and securely message you privately by simply clicking your user name and selecting "Send a private message to thonati". You and they will be able to have a private conversation without divulging personal contact information.

#27 ·
My '16 decided to do this "shift to park" thing today. Same as others, shifted to park, turned off, "shift to park" message on DIC, beeps, lights on, radio on after getting out. Since I had read of this before I tried lots of things - wiggling and pushing the shifter harder as @thonati suggested, nothing. Turned car back on, shifted through gears, back to park, same thing. Repeated another time and worked normally.

The interesting part which I don't think I have noticed on other accounts is the P light is on next to the shifter. The shifter knows it is in P. The car doesn't know it is in P and acts accordingly.

Good news is I know my dealer has already replaced the shifter assembly for this issue as my brother-in-law's Premier had to be replaced about 4 months ago.

I took a video for my dealer:

Attachments

#29 ·
Update to my "shift to park": it didn't do it at the dealer but there is a bulletin for it. They replace the shifter assembly. My dealer said the assembly is on backorder (always a good sign). They are checking other dealers for part stock and I hear back Monday hopefully. Until then I roll the town in a Trax.

@Vanessa If you have problems with your dealer I will try and get the TSB number to help. I believe others have had the shifter replaced also so they might already have the bulletin number if there was a bulletin at the time. Maybe your dealer will even have the shifter in stock!

Reactions: deblaf
#30 ·
Update to my "shift to park": it didn't do it at the dealer but there is a bulletin for it. They replace the shifter assembly. My dealer said the assembly is on backorder (always a good sign). They are checking other dealers for part stock and I hear back Monday hopefully. Until then I roll the town in a Trax.

@Vanessa If you have problems with your dealer I will try and get the TSB number to help. I believe others have had the shifter replaced also so they might already have the bulletin number if there was a bulletin at the time. Maybe your dealer will even have the shifter in stock!
Picked up my car this morning, all is well. I do not see an obvious bulletin number on my paperwork - only number that google results match relates to the same issue in a 2015 Cadillac ATS which is 8460670. It has likely been updated to include our model or maybe they just use that bulletin as a reference. Here is the text if it helps you:

THE MESSAGE SHIFT TO PARK WILL DISPLAY IN THE DIC
AFTER ATTEMPTING TO SHUT OFF VEHICLE.
Installed 84308196 :SL-N-CONTROL MODULE ASSEMBLY (04004-C) 84308 QTY: 1
WAR 8460670 INTERMITTENT CONCERN READS SHIFT TO PARK
WHEN IN PARK. DIAGNOSED FAULTY TRANS CONTROL/FLOOR
SHIFT. REMOVED CONSOLE TO ACCESS REPLACED TRANS
CONTROL REASSEMBLED AND INSTALLED CONSOLE. PERFORMED
RELEARN PER BULLETIN.

I also had my snow tires put on... with my luck it won't snow for weeks. :wink:

Reactions: deblaf
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.