Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Chevy Malibu has been giving me the message "Shift to Park" on the instrument panel screen. It started happening a few months ago. I brought it in to the dealership where they kept it for a few days. They couldn't duplicate the problem. I had the car for a week and a half, where I had no problem. Now it its happening again. Just now it took me 10 times to shut the car off shift the car in and out of park, before the message finally stopped showing. Has anybody had any luck figuring out this problem? Signed, frustrated! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
Hello Vermontrunner and welcome. Bummer about the shift to park message. Which trim do you have? There are several TSB about this if the Hybrid and I can link those if applicable; if a different engine there have been some sparse reports but no certain fix or TSB. You can search "shift to park" and find relevant threads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vermontrumner,

I’m having the same issue with my 2016 Malibu. I’m currently to the point where I don’t want the car back until it’s fix. I thought I got the shift to park to turn off and I guess I didn’t and ran down the battery. The dealership has informed me that no errors are showing up and they can’t duplicate the issue. Chevy needs to figure out the issue!!!!!

My 2016 Chevy Malibu has been giving me the message "Shift to Park" on the instrument panel screen. It started happening a few months ago. I brought it in to the dealership where they kept it for a few days. They couldn't duplicate the problem. I had the car for a week and a half, where I had no problem. Now it its happening again. Just now it took me 10 times to shut the car off shift the car in and out of park, before the message finally stopped showing. Has anybody had any luck figuring out this problem? Signed, frustrated! :mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vermontrumner,

I’m having the same issue with my 2016 Malibu. I’m currently to the point where I don’t want the car back until it’s fix. I thought I got the shift to park to turn off and I guess I didn’t and ran down the battery. The dealership has informed me that no errors are showing up and they can’t duplicate the issue. Chevy needs to figure out the issue!!!!!
@BeautifulStruggle.

I have seen this issue before. Can I suggest a few things?

1) Double check to make sure the shifter knob is fully seated. When you sit in the driver's seat and the shifter is in park, push down on the top of the knob as hard as you can without striking it. If you strike it, you could damage the Tap Up Tap Down (+ / -) switch. Do this when there is no noise, and listen for a "click". There is a clip in the knob that secures the knob to the shifter rod.

2) When you are shifting to park, make sure you give the shifter a little extra push. Then double check to see that the button on the knob is pushed out.

Please respond and let me know what you find out.

If neither of these work, can you email me? I will try to help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2016 Chevrolet Malibu Premier started doing this 2 weeks ago and happens off and on non-consistently. It doesn however seem to be getting worse in the fact of the amount of times that I have to start my car back up .. go from P,R,N,D and back to P then turn it off with my fingers crossed hoping I dont hear DING DING DING and see the dreaded "SHIFT TO PARK" message on the gauge cluster screen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is of course right after parking with the gear select in P. Accessories are still on and I cannot lock the doors either .. time to turn it on and off a handfull of times to get it right..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
Hello @dollarbilz and welcome. Unfortunate timing on the shift to park message. The other cases of this required replacement of the shifter assembly. They do use a different shifter assembly between the 2.0T models and the 1.5T models since they have different transmissions but it appears they had the same firmware engineers allocated or share the same possible defect.

Replacing the shifter assembly also means replacing the TCM which GM specifically says is not part of the ever shrinking powertrain warranty. Perhaps your dealer will find some way to cover it or make an exception. Let us know the outcome and cost if it goes the other way.

Here is another thread with history from others including me: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/121-problems-service-issues-troubleshooting-generation-9/86097-shift-into-park.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks @campb292 for the WELCOME & info!

I have PM'ed the Chevrolet Customer service as did one of the other members of chevymalibuforums did prior to ask if they can lend and bow-tie helping hand here.. I like everyone else on this forum would just like their car to go into park & correctly shut off so it can be securely locked and safe.

I will be sure to let you know if I get any traction or reply back from Chevy Cust Serv.

Thanks all,

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
Best of luck @dollarbilz.

You have already spoken with your dealer and the service manager (if necessary), right? If you are trying to get GM to cover the repairs out of warranty citing proximity to expiration and safety issues involved it is best to make sure you pursue all dealer-level avenues before escalating to Chevy. The Chevy customer service people will correspond with your dealer and it will seem odd if they talk to your dealer and find out you never even brought the car in. For all we know they might just repair it for you referencing instructions in the TSB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this same issue with my daughter's car. We have a steep driveway and it acts up the most on it. However it's done the same thing when we park flat. I have noticed that if I sit a few minutes in park prior to shutting off the engine it helps. However the dreaded the shift to park will pop up randomly. One day I got out, threw the keys at my husband and said, "you shut the damn thing off".
I am so frustrated by this. What if she's at school and can't get it to shift into park, and has to leave the dang thing running to get to class? Grrr. Wish it did this at the dealership while we were there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Afternoon All!,

I wanted to provide a success story with Mr. Goodwrench!

I took my 2016 Malibu Premier to the local dealership knowing that I was over in milage 41,000 but under the 3 years warranty. When I pulled into the service lane I was lucky enough to have the condition happen on spot. When I pulled in the engine shut off but would not turn the accessories off. As I stood at the service desk to get the paper work rolling one of the techs had to pull the car forward to allow for more customers to pull in and it wouldnt go into park for that tech either.

The service department called back after a few hours of testing and found that this was caused by "6579 - Transmission Control Lever Internally Shorted" Even though there are ZERO codes that show up in the diagnostic!

The part wasnt in stock but was ordered.. The repair took them 3-4 days but, it was repaired and my troubles are GONE!

The tech ultimately installed 13520829 SL-N-CONTROL (04004-C) DIAG. The tech then tested circuits 5905 & 1550 and found an open with the control in park position. Replaced transmission control and retested.

Everything is good. Hopefully it help someone get their similar trouble resolved by providing these details if their worth anything!

GM Approved Customer to pay $70.00 deductible for repair.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
sounds like they took care of you pretty well despite being outside the warranty period...glad to read this.

Enjoy your ride.

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a 2016 Malibu Premiere and having the same issue with the shift to park message. The dealer will not do anything to the vehicle unless they see the message themselves. They also told me that there are no reports with GM tech support concerning this issue.

The car is currently in for the second time. The dealer is not happy. I have gotten GM customer service involved with the hope that they can help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dollarbillz;

Thank you very much for this post. I will try to get the service tech at my dealer to look at this but they have told me that if it isn't from GM they won't even look at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks @campb292 for the WELCOME & info!

I have PM'ed the Chevrolet Customer service as did one of the other members of chevymalibuforums did prior to ask if they can lend and bow-tie helping hand here.. I like everyone else on this forum would just like their car to go into park & correctly shut off so it can be securely locked and safe.

I will be sure to let you know if I get any traction or reply back from Chevy Cust Serv.

Thanks all,
as there been corrective action recommended -- my Malibu a 2013 has been in the shop 3 times now for about 15 weeks 0 the techs are stumped...
they replaced the shift cable - stating it had been stretched... But no fix - yet any Ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update on my 2016 Malibu preimer. My Chevy dealership had my car for over a month in half waiting on a part that GM said is on a national back order. GM really needs to do a recall. My car is functioning propery right now. But hopefully it stays thats way. But now I'm nervous that everytime I turn my car off its going to pop up.

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
as there been corrective action recommended -- my Malibu a 2013 has been in the shop 3 times now for about 15 weeks 0 the techs are stumped...
they replaced the shift cable - stating it had been stretched... But no fix - yet any Ideas?
This is the gen9 section so any solutions will be specific to the gen9. I had the fix performed as referenced here. If it doesn't link the specific post just scroll to the end, it is around there. I had it fixed and other than a stiffer shifter it has been 100% about 5000 miles later.

There had been a small recall on the 2013 shifters illuminating/displaying the gear - if included you probably already had that fixed but perhaps you weren't included. Are P R D illuminating properly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same exact problem. The car does not think it is in park, leaving some of the accessories of the car on. The engine is completely shut off also. It will not let me lock the car as well. I did not realize this happened once, left the car overnight, and came in the morning to a dead battery, making me jump the car. This only happens every once in a while. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to try and take car of this issue.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.