Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Those clamp studs have a light coating of rust at this point, and that rust is undisturbed. Also, it's impossible to tell whether the CHMSL was actually changed or not. It certainly still looks exactly the same. Just an observation...
I found it surprising that they actually obtained parts in that short of a time. I doubt they'd have the HV wire in stock at the dealership, maybe the relay. Perhaps they were expedited, but even then the distributor doesn't always have parts in stock. I noticed the wires are in metal conduit. Probably a tedious job to replace.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
We did briefly smell burning insulation during the failure event so it would probably be doubly important, with that armor/conduit being grounded, that those cables be replaced. Now that you say that though, I have to wonder if maybe they were able to pull the old cables out of the conduit and shove the new ones back through. I wouldn't have thought there would be room for the end connectors to pass through the conduit, but maybe. It would help explain why the conduit retention clamps still look undisturbed...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I went on a 750 mile RT on Easter weekend. I couldn't keep your breakdown out of my mind during the trip. But there are so many potential failures on any car at any time that could leave one stranded. It's amazing it doesn't happen more often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this exact problem at around 15,000 miles. They said it was the regeneration motor. They replaced the entire transmission since it was less work than pulling the transmission apart and since it was under warranty.
It did something similar yesterday (at around 39,000 miles now). I backed out of the driveway, shifted to drive, and got the "shift to park" message. I turned the car off then back on and didn't have any other problems other than the check engine light being on now. I don't know what I'm going to do. It's a great car other than this problem and it will be paid off in a few months. It's incredibly annoying to say the least!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this exact problem at around 15,000 miles. They said it was the regeneration motor. They replaced the entire transmission since it was less work than pulling the transmission apart and since it was under warranty.
It did something similar yesterday (at around 39,000 miles now). I backed out of the driveway, shifted to drive, and got the "shift to park" message. I turned the car off then back on and didn't have any other problems other than the check engine light being on now. I don't know what I'm going to do. It's a great car other than this problem and it will be paid off in a few months. It's incredibly annoying to say the least!
This is what happened to mine around 45000 miles. Kept randomly getting shift to park while in D or R. They replaced the entire transmission. I'm thankful it happened under warranty when it did because another guy I know just had it happen and was told he was getting a rebuilt transmission because they don't make them new anymore.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What year is your car? I'm hoping these might be early build issues that might be worked out by now. I would also prefer a transmission replacement. I don't trust the dealership techs to have the experience to repair these transmissions. I think just replacing the transmission takes a lot of skill and attention to detail.

·
Registered
94 Posts
T I'm thankful it happened under warranty when it did because another guy I know just had it happen and was told he was getting a rebuilt transmission because they don't make them new anymore.
They are still making this transmission for the current 2019 Malibu Hybrid. Unless perhaps the 2019 isn't fully compatible with the earlier model years. That still doesn't mean GM won't give you a rebuilt transmission. Rebuilt isn't necessarily bad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The drive home from Georgia was uneventful, with one exception. As I related earlier, I've been monitoring the 12V system voltage on-and-off since I got the car. For the first year or so, it used to float between about 12.8-13.8V, which seemed more or less normal to me. Over a span of a few months after that, that float "window" (12.8-13.8) slowly began to drift upward...until, maybe a few weeks before the "death event", when the voltage had gone to 15.5v full time. Naturally, I watched the voltage on the 12+ hour drive home from Georgia, and it spent almost the entire journey at a steady 12.5V. Every few hours it would, over the span of 10 or 15 seconds, rise up to 14.3V, remain there for about 5 minutes and then, over another 10 or 15 seconds, drop right back to 12.5V. This is just weird, and the whole time I was just waiting for the car to die all over again.

They did not change out the 12V battery during the repair. I'm wondering if there is a loose connection at the 12V battery or maybe a loose ground connection somewhere that's causing the battery's charge controller to flake out. I'm going to take it to my local dealer and have them look at it again, but I already did that once, before the recent debacle, and they said everything had tested OK.
Two questions, how do you monitor the battery system voltage? Is there a screen on the DIC that does this that I am not aware of or are you using an after market gadget to check voltage. I did get a "low battery voltage" prompt once this winter when we were doing a lot of city driving. I hooked up my trickle charger and the recharge only took 5 hours which is much less than my BMW which has a well documented history of losing charge unless it is driven regularly.

The other question is it would be nice to hear from anyone who has checked the CHMSL for leakage as to how hard it is to do this. I did find a youtube video that showed the owner popping out the headliner fastener, dropping the headliner and tightening the screws but it would be nice to hear from others who have actually done this as to what pitfalls to be alert to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What year is your car? I'm hoping these might be early build issues that might be worked out by now. I would also prefer a transmission replacement. I don't trust the dealership techs to have the experience to repair these transmissions. I think just replacing the transmission takes a lot of skill and attention to detail.
It's a 2017

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
...how do you monitor the battery system voltage? Is there a screen on the DIC that does this that I am not aware of or are you using an after market gadget to check voltage. I did get a "low battery voltage" prompt once this winter when we were doing a lot of city driving...
Yes, there is a screen in the DIC. You do have to choose to display it in, I believe, the "Info" menu. Oddly, I've never had a "Low Battery Voltage" warning. The system just gets down to 12.5V and then lays there for quite awhile. On our latest run back from Atlanta, it actually spent a fair amount of time back in the 12.8-13.8 range, which made me feel a bit better. It still does drop to 12.5 occasionally, though. The only time I've seen it lower than that was during the failure event. As we were coasting to a stop, it was at 11.8V...and still no "Low Battery Voltage".

·
Registered
91 Posts
I couldn't get battery voltage to display on mine, and we have the same car.
The menu on mine ends with the following distance display.
I thought I scrolled down as far as I could, but maybe not. I'll see once I get the car again.
Do you also see a way to display coolant temp and oil pressure? I had assumed that was only for the straight gas engine cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I couldn't get battery voltage to display on mine, and we have the same car.
I couldn't find it on mine either until I dug deeper. Press the left arrow on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Scroll down to settings and press select. Scroll down to info. Press the right arrow on the steering wheel. Select Edit Lists. There you will find voltage and quite a few other display items like coolant temp. I selected all of the items. What a find!! Thank you Dr. Manhattan for exposing these great displays I was missing out on. I thought you had a voltmeter connected to the 12V power port to monitor the voltage. I wish GM defaulted all of the info displays to on. I've been missing out for over a year. On today's 300 mile drive, the Voltage went up to maybe 14.8 briefly, but settled around 13.6 for most of the trip.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I couldn't find it on mine either until I dug deeper. Press the left arrow on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Scroll down to settings and press select. Scroll down to info. Press the right arrow on the steering wheel. Select Edit Lists. There you will find voltage and quite a few other display items like coolant temp. I selected all of the items. What a find!! Thank you Dr. Manhattan for exposing these great displays I was missing out on. I thought you had a voltmeter connected to the 12V power port to monitor the voltage. I wish GM defaulted all of the info displays to on. I've been missing out for over a year. On today's 300 mile drive, the Voltage went up to maybe 14.8 briefly, but settled around 13.6 for most of the trip.
Jeez, I'm really sorry guys. I was just assuming that everyone was all tuned in on the admittedly-rather-convoluted display menu choices. SandyRidgeMalibu has laid out the procedure quite nicely here, though.

Since the repair, we've made another round trip down to Atlanta (~1600 miles, plus bopping around the area while down there). I only saw one glitch...and that just briefly. While there, we rolled down an off ramp and at the stop sign at the bottom, I just happened to glance down at the display and got a glimpse of a warning message that quickly disappeared. It said "Steering Assist Unavailable - Please Drive With Caution". That was a surprise, as the car...and the steering in particular...was functioning completely normally. The warning popped up very briefly a second time a few minutes later...and then never again. The car seemed fine for the rest of the trip. When we got back, I put my analizer on it and got a code that basically said that the steering control module was no longer communicating with the rest of the system. Took it to the dealership and they found the code, but could find no reason for it. They said they cleared it and it didn't come back...which is funny, as I also cleared it before bringing it in, and it returned immediately. I wonder if the canbuss took a voltage spike when the HV relay shorted out, and now I'm going to be seeing nonsensical stuff like this showing up from time to time...

·
Registered
94 Posts
"Steering Assist Unavailable - Please Drive With Caution".
Is that the Lane Keep Assist that wasn't available or electric power steering boost? I'm guessing Lane Keep Assist since you said steering felt normal. Did you maybe have a lot of bugs over the camera (located in front of the rear view mirror) on the windshield? My sister once had a Cruise Control not available message when she had a lot of bugs on her Acadia. I think she has adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Is that the Lane Keep Assist that wasn't available or electric power steering boost? I'm guessing Lane Keep Assist since you said steering felt normal. Did you maybe have a lot of bugs over the camera (located in front of the rear view mirror) on the windshield? My sister once had a Cruise Control not available message when she had a lot of bugs on her Acadia. I think she has adaptive cruise control.
Well, I tested LKA just the other day and it was working fine, however...just yesterday I threw the analyzer on it again (first time since the dealer cleared it out) and did find a code for the front camera in history. The warning that I saw in the display definitely did say "Steering Assist Unavailable - Please Drive Carefully". I don't generally let the windshield get dirty enough to allow interference with the camera, but I can't swear as to how bad it was at that moment. Until you said that, I just assumed it was referring to steering boost, but I guess it could have meant the LKA was unavailable. I vertually always have LKA turned off (and did at the time that I saw the warning, as well). Hmmm...

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
It said "Steering Assist Unavailable - Please Drive With Caution". That was a surprise, as the car...and the steering in particular...was functioning completely normally. The warning popped up very briefly a second time a few minutes later...and then never again. The car seemed fine for the rest of the trip. When we got back, I put my analizer on it and got a code that basically said that the steering control module was no longer communicating with the rest of the system. Took it to the dealership and they found the code, but could find no reason for it. They said they cleared it and it didn't come back...which is funny, as I also cleared it before bringing it in, and it returned immediately. I wonder if the canbuss took a voltage spike when the HV relay shorted out, and now I'm going to be seeing nonsensical stuff like this showing up from time to time...
This error message has been reported by several forum members and I even got it a few times. I haven't seen a hybrid owner reporting it but it is probably common among all trims since it is just a software anomaly. The reports are the same as yours, brief message but no noticeable problem with the steering itself. There is an update available that changes the calibration and suppresses the false reports. If you have any interest in the update you can check the system using your VIN to see if it is available for your car. I checked a generic 2017 MH VIN and it was available but is VIN specific so you need to check yours. I had the update performed and haven't seen the message since nor have had any steering problems. By all accounts the glitch seems benign but everything is benign... until it isn't.

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

·
Registered
337 Posts
This error message has been reported by several forum members and I even got it a few times. I haven't seen a hybrid owner reporting it but it is probably common among all trims since it is just a software anomaly. The reports are the same as yours, brief message but no noticeable problem with the steering itself. There is an update available that changes the calibration and suppresses the false reports. If you have any interest in the update you can check the system using your VIN to see if it is available for your car. I checked a generic 2017 MH VIN and it was available but is VIN specific so you need to check yours. I had the update performed and haven't seen the message since nor have had any steering problems. By all accounts the glitch seems benign but everything is benign... until it isn't.

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/
I had the “steering assist” message a couple times way in the beginning of its life, had it calibrated at the second or third service and no further issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2017 is in the shop right now getting a new tranny for the "shift to park" message and dead motor. They gave me no cause for the error message.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,301 Posts
My 2017 is in the shop right now getting a new tranny for the "shift to park" message and dead motor. They gave me no cause for the error message.
Just to make sure, you have a hybrid? One of your new posts indicate a 2018 Hybrid then this post says 2017.

The shift to park issue manifests 2 ways. One, all trims (Hybrid/LS/LT/Premier) can get and is just a problem of the BCM receiving a park confirmation signal. The fix for that is wiggling, clicking, or replacing the shifter. The other is unique to the hybrid and produces the same error and a specific code. If it tosses that code the whole drive unit/transmission needs to be replaced. I believe this is only the 3rd time I have heard of this on the hybrid. Good it was under warranty!

41 - 60 of 67 Posts