Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to make sure, you have a hybrid? One of your new posts indicate a 2018 Hybrid then this post says 2017.

The shift to park issue manifests 2 ways. One, all trims (Hybrid/LS/LT/Premier) can get and is just a problem of the BCM receiving a park confirmation signal. The fix for that is wiggling, clicking, or replacing the shifter. The other is unique to the hybrid and produces the same error and a specific code. If it tosses that code the whole drive unit/transmission needs to be replaced. I believe this is only the 3rd time I have heard of this on the hybrid. Good it was under warranty!
Sorry, 2018 Hybrid. I don't know the codes it threw. The service tech was not very specific. They originally said the drive motor had to be replaced, then said GM recommended the entire tranny be replaced. Should be done by Tuesday. The interesting question is under what part of the warranty is this covered? The drive train or the hybrid component portion? The warranties I believe are three years longer for hybrid component part.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
Ok, thanks for clarifying. The codes thrown for the known issue of the shift to park specific to the hybrid are P1AEE, P1AEF, P1AF0, P1AF2 and/or P1E22 under bulletin PIC6244D. It affects the Volt too. It's rare but happens. I assume there are other codes as well but this one is linked to shift to park.

I'm not sure which warranty they cover it under - the 60k powertrain or 100k hybrid component. The warranty booklets are linked in the general section if you want to read. Anyway, still great it's covered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, thanks for clarifying. The codes thrown for the known issue of the shift to park specific to the hybrid are P1AEE, P1AEF, P1AF0, P1AF2 and/or P1E22 under bulletin PIC6244D. It affects the Volt too. It's rare but happens. I assume there are other codes as well but this one is linked to shift to park.

I'm not sure which warranty they cover it under - the 60k powertrain or 100k hybrid component. The warranty booklets are linked in the general section if you want to read. Anyway, still great it's covered.
Thanks, I will go look at those. The reason I ask is that I probably will dump he vehicle before the warranty expires. It kind of leaves a bad taste having such a major event. I like the vehicle and the in-town mileage, but the risk/reward is not there in my opinion.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
I was about to move your posts to their own thread but now that I re-read this thread I guess this is as good a place as any. The originally poster Dr. M. didn't actually see transaxle replacement in the end as it was determined there was some water intrusion and electrical issues. However, a few others then posted up about their Hybrid transmission replacement due to the shift to park message. So... this is a great place. Nice job finding it!

I'd totally understand bailing on car after the warranty expires. With the discontinuation if the hybrid, parts could get harder to find and if this car has already had minor electrical problems that have catastrophic consequences (especially if it were to be out of pocket), moving on when appropriate makes sense.

Good luck and let us know how it runs after the repair!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Were there any forewarning symptoms or did it just fail one day? Do you drive it hard? Did they say how long it will take to get the new transmission?

What kind of vehicle will you get to replace it? I like the looks of the new Escape hybrid, but haven't driven one. However, I wonder if all hybrids are at higher risk of early failures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What kind of vehicle will you get to replace it? I like the looks of the new Escape hybrid, but haven't driven one. However, I wonder if all hybrids are at higher risk of early failures.
Who knows. I still have a couple years left on the warranty.

Were there any forewarning symptoms or did it just fail one day? Do you drive it hard? Did they say how long it will take to get the new transmission?
There were no warnings. I was driving about 30 miles an hour in town. The car seemed to downshift. I looked down to see if I had it in low and accidentally hit the low1/low2 rocker on top of the shift lever, but it was in drive. It downshifted again, I think, then went into neutral (just coasted) and said to shiftiest to park. And that was it. Dead.

I did not drive it hard. As a matter of fact, I have the State Farm monitoring on the car and get above a 90 percent rating. The new tranny is in and will be installed by Tuesday. I dropped the car off last Sunday, so about nine days from start to finish assuming I get it Tuesday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a note to follow up. I got the car back today. The transaxle was replaced. It was covered under the 8/80 Hybrid Component portion of the warranty which is a bit reassuring that I have more time available if this happens again.

The codes recorded for this were P1AEE, PIF0, P1F2, POA46, P1BOB, P1B43, AND P1E1C. They claimed this was in bulletin PIC6244D.

Jeff

61 - 67 of 67 Posts