Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
That is such an easy DIY fix. Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Malibu shift to park fix GREAT. A guy posted a video on YouTube how fix this yourself. Easy if you work on cars or get a friend who does to help. Go to YouTube search this. 2016 2017 2018 Chevy Malibu parking shifter error. How to fix. It is simple and thank him soooooo much. :):)

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted but this video shows exactly what is happening. Its the micro switch that is failing to close because of the bent/worn metal tab.
Shift to Park
Malibu shift to park fix GREAT. A guy posted a video on YouTube how fix this yourself. Easy if you work on cars or get a friend who does to help. Go to YouTube search this. 2016 2017 2018 Chevy Malibu parking shifter error. How to fix. It is simple and thank him soooooo much. :):)
LOL

That's the same video linked in the post I've quoted above. I guess it must be popular!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2018 Malibu and this problem just started happening to me. In the beginning I was able to flick the shifter and the message would go away...But now it takes me 10 to 20 minutes messing around just to get the message to go away. After all the complaints about this I found online I think this should be a recall. I was researching and found out you can file a complaint on nhtsa.gov they are the ones who investigate and make recalls on vehicles. Maybe they will take it serious if we all file a complaint.

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
@JANICE020101

No harm in filing a complaint, feel free. I wouldn't hold out much hope for swift action by the NHTSA as they haven't had a permanent confirmed administrator in several years. The last "acting" administrator recently resigned and a new "acting" administrator was apppinted about a month ago. The lights are doing the zombie apocalypse flicker over there. GM will need to come to a conclusion on their own... which is possible as they have been issuing several new programs to help public relations during the strike.

I don't feel this is recall worthy, but I do believe it should be a service update or should qualify for a special extended warranty coverage. I would take it to your dealer for a free warranty replacement since you have a 2018 and likely qualifying mileage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What an absolute garbage design. This should definitely be recalled and fixed. I'm guessing even after replacement the problem will reappear after a year or 2. I got it fixed and proceeded to move on from the vehicle. Its failing in the first 2 years because it is of bad design or garbage part. Should not happen in the first few years of ownership.

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
It's odd. There have been a ton of replacements and I haven't read of a repeat failure yet. Failures happened to some at 5k, 15k, 20k, etc so early I can't imagine the replacement part was a new design or anything, yet no repeat failures. At least not many, always possible I missed a post. How's that Encore doing @The RealSlickWilly?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's odd. There have been a ton of replacements and I haven't read of a repeat failure yet. Failures happened to some at 5k, 15k, 20k, etc so early I can't imagine the replacement part was a new design or anything, yet no repeat failures. At least not many, always possible I missed a post. How's that Encore doing @The RealSlickWilly?
So far so good with the Encore, At least you would hope it would be in the first year of ownership. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
So there is a new TSB 19 NA 206 (9/19/19) that supersedes 297. I took my 2016 LT in today as the shift to park message is happening more consistently when the shifter is cold (<50F). It was doing at the dealer (I live 1 mile away) so they have ordered a jumper harness to fix the problem and noted that TSB on the work order. My car is just of warranty at 3 years and 7 months, but only 38,000 miles, so no charge.

BTW the double tap on the button on the front of the shifter still works well as a workaround to eliminate the message.

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
So there is a new TSB 19 NA 206 (9/19/19) that supersedes 297. I took my 2016 LT in today as the shift to park message is happening more consistently when the shifter is cold (<50F). It was doing at the dealer (I live 1 mile away) so they have ordered a jumper harness to fix the problem
At least they figured out a cheaper fix so they don't have to replace the whole shifter with the revised design. Saves GM some $$$.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad i found this, My 2017 Malibu LT just started doing this on my at 25,000. Although I've only seen it maybe 4 times so far. probably best i see the dealer.
At least they figured out a cheaper fix so they don't have to replace the whole shifter with the revised design. Saves GM some $$$.
When I look for TSB 19 NA 206 service notice, it says is for a "Shake and/or Shudder During Light Throttle Acceleration Between 25 and 80 MPH."

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
#19-NA-206 - Intermittent Shift to Park Message Displayed While Vehicle in Park - (Sep 19, 2019)

That is what shows for me but the bulletin is not publicly available yet. It does supercede the previous bulletin. Only time will tell if the new fix provides the reliable longevity of the previous more thorough fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been getting a shift to park message while shutting my car off for quite some time now. Going to see if my dealership can help me with this issue. I’ve had a lot of problems with a 2017 Malibu LT that I bought “brand new” even though the radio was replaced before I bought it due to a leak in the windshield seal

241 - 259 of 259 Posts