Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

shifter plus and minus on 17 Malibu LT

10K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  nam67 
#1 ·
I've had this car since it was new and still can't figure out the
function of plus and minus button on the top of the shifter. I really like the car but I'm not very tech savy. Any assistance will be appreciated

#2 ·
When you shift to L, the + and - buttons are enabled. L in your Malibu functions as electronic range select mode. This mode allows you to pick the highest gear limit the transmission can use. The L you see on your driver information center when you shift to L will have a number after it. The number indicates the highest gear currently allowed. The transmission will shift between 1st gear and that number. For example, lets say you are in P and shift to L then tap + until it says L3. The car will now shift between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear automatically. Another example: lets say you are parked with the car on in P. If you shift to L, then tap the + until it says L6, the car will automatically shift between all forward gears since you have a 6-speed transmission. If you shift to L while driving, the car will shift one gear lower then you can adjust the max with the + and -. If you try and hit - too far for the given speed it will say shift denied.

#3 ·
Thanks a lot! You've answered some questions that have been bugging me for a while. My gas mileage has gone down recently and I now think I might have accidently pushed the - button when I was in l going up my steep driveway and didn't know how to get it back to 6 gears. I'm going out to the garage and check it right now

#4 ·
When in D it automatically uses all the gears in the transmission. Fuel economy always decreases in winter due to the cold and in a lot of areas the reformulation of gasolines themselves. Don't forget warmups to get heat to clear windows. Thats zero miles per gallon.

Reactions: David Williams
#5 ·
When you use L and shift back to P or D whatever it resets the range mode... it won't lock on a previous setting when the shifter is moved out of L. What sort of economy are you seeing and how is it calculated?

#7 ·
I went out and checked the shifter a while ago, when I put it in L it read L-1 so I moved it to L-6.....since I now know it will reset when I start it and put it in drive. The car still has plenty of power and I just changed the air filter so I guess it must be the weather, we've had plenty of zero and below lately I'still learned a lot today thanks to everyone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.