Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

A quick question - on your car, is the trim around the shifter (the one with PRND lights) a bit loose on the right side or is it snug all around?

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine has been loose on both right and left sides from day one. The dealer says that's normal. Even though I found other Malibus in the showroom with various degrees of looseness. Quality control didn't quite get to it.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually I managed to fix it. there was a finicky clip that just didn't get engaged. I fumbled with it for a while and got it to lock in place. Now it's all nice and snug, no looseness whatsoever. Actually, by design this trim piece has the sufficient number of clips to stay in place and be quite solid.
Can't remember what exactly I did that got it to lock, but I suspect that the locking tab was pushed up too far. An assembly error.
Your dealer is not doing too good a job, it would take a trim guy 10 minutes to fix.

That's the thing with these cars...The design is great, but the assembly quality is not ideal. However those errors are either very minor or easily fixable....Which is not what I can say about my 07 Accord, where things suffered from varying degree of looseness and rattling that was mostly in the design or a quality issues deep in various components and often unfixable.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Really? Heh. Just seeing this thread (good one, by the way, Yury;) ) I grabbed my keys and went out to check. The results:

#1: My '09 Orion car has not the slightest bit of looseness. I sat for a minute trying to tug up and down all around the entire perimeter to be sure I wasn't missing it, and nada. Solid.

#2: Mom's '08 Fairfax car is exactly like mine, exactly. Not a wiggle to be found.

Interested to see how this pans out, as far as if or how common it is among us.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well. mine must've been built on Friday :) how else would you explain things like this and defroster grid not being plugged in :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Speaking of trim......

Does anyone know how to remove chrome trim piece around the center dash vents? WHen the sun hits that, it is blinding! I want to paint it a flat gray.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Speaking of trim......

Does anyone know how to remove chrome trim piece around the center dash vents? WHen the sun hits that, it is blinding! I want to paint it a flat gray.
Not sure, but looking near the end of this video, at least one of the moves is to just pull at the bottom of it and unsnap...then...not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWpQOq0W0U8

·
Registered
237 Posts
On the chrome trim thing....Couldn't some extra fine sandpaper bring it down to a matte finish?...Or would that surface be too hard to keep clean?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the chrome trim thing....Couldn't some extra fine sandpaper bring it down to a matte finish?...Or would that surface be too hard to keep clean?
isn't it painted plastic? sandpaper would probably wreck it, I wouldn't do that.

just a thought - do all trims have this part in chrome finish? if not you could buy a new part and then try to pry the old one off not worrying about breaking it in process :)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
isn't it painted plastic? sandpaper would probably wreck it, I wouldn't do that.

just a thought - do all trims have this part in chrome finish? if not you could buy a new part and then try to pry the old one off not worrying about breaking it in process :)
Yes, it's just a plastic piece with thin chrome "painting". Any sandpapering would leave you with the bare plastic beneath, scratched.

All trims have exactly the same chrome and trimmings inside, just different as far as silver vs. wood.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
oh, I just realized that we're talking about this thin trim line that goes around the dash and doors....Hm, that'd be hard to replace without any kind of diagram. I bet there's more to it than popping it.
Btw, on another forum, a person who helped design the dash in our cars (supposedly, it's internet so you never know for sure) warned me that the "swooshes" are tricky and breakable. He (or she) never replied to my question about what a "swoosh" was exactly, but that could've been those panels. For what this info is worth.....

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yury...Off topic...I know it's been pointed out before,but,your Artist gallery link really is wonderful.You have a phenomenal eye for composition and lighting....Have you considered doing an Art series featuring your beautiful black Malibu?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yury...Off topic...I know it's been pointed out before,but,your Artist gallery link really is wonderful.You have a phenomenal eye for composition and lighting....Have you considered doing an Art series featuring your beautiful black Malibu?
thank you :)

Well, no, not really :) Somehow it seems that it's been done well enough on ads and brochures. Although, it can be fun. However, a nice and clean studio shot would be hard cause I don't have a studio I can drive in. Well, I don't have a studio period :)
Maybe something outdoors.....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Outdoors is where I'd like to see it most.In it's natural habitat....I can't recall seeing any pictures in your kind of style.With the atmosphere you create._(Noise has some VERY nice pics in his members gallery and elsewhere around here).

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Outdoors is where I'd like to see it most.In it's natural habitat....I can't recall seeing any pictures in your kind of style.With the atmosphere you create._(Noise has some VERY nice pics in his members gallery and elsewhere around here).
I'll think about it :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
here is the tsb
xTooltipElement
Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2196287
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-08-49-012A: Gap at Rear Edge of Front Floor Console Shifter Trim Plate (Install Tie Straps) - (Sep 30, 2008)

Subject: Gap at Rear Edge of Front Floor Console Shifter Trim Plate (Install Tie Straps)

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year and update the Correction Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-49-012 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a gap at the rear edge of the floor console shifter trim plate.

Cause
This condition may be caused by interference between the console trim plate rear clip towers and the center floor console assembly. The rear trim plate clips may not seat, creating the gap.

Correction
Remove the front floor console trim plate and install tie straps using the steps below.

Set the parking brake.
Turn the ignition key to the ON position with the engine off (engine should not be running).
Depress the brake pedal and place the shifter into the neutral ("N") position.
Note: Release the shifter boot from the shifter knob by pulling the boot retainer down in order to gain access to the shift knob front retaining screw.

Remove the shift control knob. Refer to Floor Shift Control Knob Replacement in SI.
Remove the front floor console trim plate. Refer to Front Floor Console Accessory Trim Plate Replacement in SI.
Inspect the underside of the shifter console trim plate for the four white attaching clips and their rib structures.
• Inspect all of the shifter plate attachments including the two small forward tabs - if none of the attachments are damaged and the shifter plate forward tip up bin lid functions properly, DO NOT REPLACE the shifter trim plate.

• If any of the four attaching clips are damaged or bent, the console shifter trim plate may need to be replaced.

Remove the left and right console side extension panels. Refer to Front Floor Console Extension Panel Replacement in SI.
Install a plastic tie strap through the console side wall and loop through the shifter base assembly, so the console side wall is pulled vertically against the tunnel carpet. As the console sides are pulled vertically the rear retention tabs for the console trim plate should move to horizontal, allowing correct engagement of the trim plate retaining clips.

Note: Make sure no wiring harnesses are trapped or pinched and that no shifter functions are restricted by the tie strap.

• Loop and tighten the left side extension panel tie strap (1) as shown.

• Loop and tighten the right side extension panel tie strap (1) as shown.

Install the left and right console side extension panels.
Install the front floor console trim plate by pushing the trim plate forward and aligning the two top guide pins into the I/P dash. Engage the front clips on the trim plate first, then seat the rear trim clips.
Check the shifter trim plate retention, the trim plate should not lift up just using your finger tips. If the trim plate does lift up, the retaining clips are not seated.
Install the shift knob. Refer to Floor Shift Control Knob Replacement in SI.
Place the shifter into Park ("P") and turn the ignition key to the OFF position.
Release the parking brake.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

C2790
Plate, Console Trim - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Add:
To Install Tie Straps
0.1 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
jfb423, thanks. Where did you find this? I would love to be able to browse through TSBs.

Sounds like a complicated procedure, what I did was much simpler. At some point I bent the plate where the clip comes through upwards a little bit. It's a pretty tough bendable plastic so I was confident doing that. Also I swapped the white clips from left and right sides. One of those things (I suppose the bending) seemed to solve the problem, the clip just started engaging reliably.

I have a feeling GM might have over engineered this fix :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.