Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the glowing comments on the 2008 Malibu, I'm wondering why they chose to call it the Malibu. For many years, the Malibu has been more of a rental car, affordable transportation type vehicle. In no way was the Malibu a "luxury" car, until now. Many have said they think the ride in the new Malibu is better than previous Cadillacs.

So given the upscale feel and performance of the new Malibu, have they misnamed it? Why would they call this car the Malibu instead of a new name? Are they going to have issues that now the Malibu is a better vehicle than the more expensive Impala?

·
Registered
15 Posts
After reading all the glowing comments on the 2008 Malibu, I'm wondering why they chose to call it the Malibu. For many years, the Malibu has been more of a rental car, affordable transportation type vehicle. In no way was the Malibu a "luxury" car, until now. Many have said they think the ride in the new Malibu is better than previous Cadillacs.

So given the upscale feel and performance of the new Malibu, have they misnamed it? Why would they call this car the Malibu instead of a new name? Are they going to have issues that now the Malibu is a better vehicle than the more expensive Impala?
I agree, you dont think of this much car when you hear Malibu, but it is what it is. I love my Hybrid Malibu, its everything I wanted and more.
The name could have brought back the Bel-Air with this new model.
Bel-Air fits this upscale look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's better than some of Chevy’s former model names:

Beauville
Biscayne
Chevelle
Chevette
Chevy II
Deluxe
Delray
Lumina
Prizm
Special Deluxe
Styleline
Vega

·
Registered
421 Posts
Despite the image that comes to mind, I think the Malibu name is the perfect name for the car. The problem isn't that Malibu should be on a less luxurious vehicle, it's that the previous cars didn't have a reputation that was quite up to the name. That's been fixed.

(for the record, both of the two previous cars have since earned their names in the areas of affordable, quality transportation, if not luxury. That's something I want to see continue with my 08. ;)).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just thought it was odd that GM brought out three new vehicles on this platform and the Malibu was the only one that kept an old name (Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura were new names).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's better than some of Chevy’s former model names:

Beauville
Biscayne
Chevelle
Chevette
Chevy II
Deluxe
Delray
Lumina
Prizm
Special Deluxe
Styleline
Vega

You missed Celebrity, Corsica, Monza, Caprice and Caprice Classic! And my father in law had a Chevy Citation. What a piece of junk that was.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just thought it was odd that GM brought out three new vehicles on this platform and the Malibu was the only one that kept an old name (Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura were new names).
Saturn was extremely new, and the L-series names really didn't have any cachet at all (at any time in their history), so giving the new sedan a new name was a given. On Pontiac's side of the house, the Grand Am was gaining a reputation for highly overcladded junk (no offense to any owners out there- just repeating what I kept seeing in the majority of the media reviews of the cars with that name). Plus, Pontiac wanted to cash in on the new letter / number naming trend that has become the next big thing (see most newer Cadillacs for examples of this, as well as Acuras, etc.).

Chevrolet (other than the trucks) has always had named vehicles, and many of them have almost legendary status somewhere in the past. By and large, the three latest to wear the Malibu name haven't been bad cars, but neither have they really stood out. The last car's styling was its biggest fluke, otherwise pretty much everything about it was good, from power, to fuel economy, ergonomics, packaging, etc.. I don't care what the reviewers said, and I'm qualified to speak, since I've had the first model year of each of the last three. The 97+ cars had mechanical issues, especially early on, though late in their run they were receiving Recommended ratings from Consumers Reports. The 08 cars finally hit on all levels, addressing most complaints levelled against the previous two iterations, from styling, to OHC engines (though I also disagree that the 3.5l pushrod was uncompetitive or a 'bad' engine- I loved the one in our 04), down to improved fit, finish, and materials.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think Chevy wants to give Malibu a new fresh start and I think they made the right choice. If you think about it, Malibu is a more high class name like Malibu CA, so chevy wants to play off of that again like they were back in the 60s and 70s with the Chevelle Malibu. Chevy is finding their hertiage again and wants to bring that back for the younger generation to see and have that feeling like the generations in the 60-70s had. You can see it in their marketing, for example there silverado commercials they have and their new cars like the new Camaro and Malibu.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The car you can't ignore...

So what are some words that are the opposite of ignore that sound like a cool car name?

·
Registered
47 Posts
No matter what name was placed on the Malibu after my first test drive I was sold!
BTW..This is the first Chevy that I have owned as a primary car since 82 when i had a 76 Malibu

·
Registered
6 Posts
Considering the all plastic interior, cheap/shoddy construction, under powered engine, terrible road noise, uncomfortable seating, and the overblown price tag for what you get...I'd call it the Chevy POS!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Considering the all plastic interior, cheap/shoddy construction, under powered engine, terrible road noise, uncomfortable seating, and the overblown price tag for what you get...I'd call it the Chevy POS!
Should have bought the LTZ, love mine :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Gee.

Now, THAT was a constructive comment.

I agree with Malo83 - drive a LTZ, and you'll change your mind.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will go with the "Malipoop"

meh- the car aint that bad- like ANY car its gots issues here and there.
Just wish mfgrs would actually let people evaluate these things...seems like they dont wiht the dozen or so "little things" that would make this car reeeely nice and done right. Te few things i beeotched about could be easily fixed for little or no $$ change
Guess thats best saved for the NEXT model...eh Apple iphone?....

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,326 Posts
This thread is from 2008. Good job bringing it back. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.