Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have a 2005 Malibu LS V6 just miles away from 100,000 miles. I just recently put new tires, brakes, spark plugs, an evap canister (check engine light), and a few other misc maintenance items into/onto the car.

Since 96k miles, my gauges are now half lit and my dealer says there is no fix (friend says its a light bulb?), my starter is chancy, seems on a hot day it will have sputter symptoms, and the remote start makes horrific sounds every now and then. The power mirror switch quit working yesterday, and overall, things are beginning to work as if they had 100,000 miles of use on them. I can hear my drivers side window motor clunk as i roll the window up or down, and i hear the lock squeak when I lock/unlock the car. - Its getting progressively louder.

My son and daughter both have Honda Accords... hers is a 2000, his a 1999. They have 182k, and 142k, and I have to say, I am blown away by how well everything on their cars still work. Not to mention how well they drive.

I started looking at trading the malibu in for a Nissan Altima 2.5S, then I looked at Ford Fusions. I checked the new malibu out, seeing as I've already had a 2000, and this 2005. But the design in base form doesn't quite appeal to me. The engine is also quite a downgrade from my V6. (can't afford an 09 V6.) Accords are nice too, but they are just too much, and my bank wants me in a 2009 car in order to finance a loan due to the fact that I have two leins on my credit in this economy (both in good standing),

The Ford dealer will sell me a 2009 Fusion V6 with no leather and 10k miles for 15.9k, or a 2009 Fusion SEL (sunroof, leather, sync, etc) for the same price. They wanted 17.9k, and came down from there. They also have an 09 Altima 2.5S with 20k, that they will let go of for the same $15.9k.

I've cross shopped locally and the prices seem to all be in line with other dealers etc. I have been offered $4650 trade on my 2005 Malibu, which is above good KBB trade in, which I am pleased with. I have negative equity of $3500 which can be rolled into my 2009 car.

Part of me says keep the Malibu, the other part says "for $50 more a month, wouldn't you rather have peace of mind with a warranty to boot?". God forbid my transmission go out, or the A/C quit working, or even the starter which is obviously on its last legs.

What would you do?

Thanks,

QueenLuch!

2005 Malibu LS V6 - 99,300 miles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow. Consider yourself lucky you got 100K from that POS. I had to get rid of my 04 Malibu at 26K mi. I grew to hate that car before it reached 5000 miles. All kinds of problems that could not be fixed - Obnoxious rattle from rack/intermediate shaft, no heat, trunk was always filled with water, dash/radio lighting was out, check engine light came on at least once a month and numerous other things. Right after the warranty was up and numerous attempts had been made at fixing these things I called the so called Customer Assistace Center and they basically told me to go to hell. Like a fool I go and buy another one of their cars. The new malibu is in a totally different league as the old one but I'm sure GM's attitude has not changed at all. They wont stand behind it and given their current situation it can only get worse.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It could be just as easy to fix the problem and will be definitely a lot cheaper. Even those other cars you mention have problems in general and there is no reason why your car can't achieve at least 300K miles. The IP lights on your Malibu are powered by a pulsed DC voltage. For increased brightness the pulse width of the voltage is increased. This signal comes from the Body Control Module. The repair could involve replacing the BCM, the dimmer switch or just finding a poor connection somewhere. Sometimes the grounds get corroded and this could cause the lighting symptoms you see.

Here is the schematic for the dimming circuit:

The starter should make the same noises whether it is enabled by you turning the key or by using the remote start feature. Either way the start function is controlled by the Body Control Module which sends a signal to the Powertrain Control Module to close the start relay. The only difference is which input pin on the BCM gets the start signal (the discrete signal from the ignition switch or the serial data link from the RFA in the keyless entry subsystem).

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have decided to keep the car until I pay it off so that I'm not in the same negative equity situation in another car. I have 10900 left on this car and I'm paying 400 a month, sometimes more. I have just over two years left with it, and I plan to pay as much as I can each month to pay it down.

I took the car to Firestone for an alignment, tire rotation and balance yesterday and they also changed my air filter and did the transmission service. They dropped the pan and changed the filter/fluid etc. Then they told me my rear pads were worn, so those were replaced. I also had them change the brake fluid since I have never done it. That cost me $360, but most of it was labor for the trans service.

Their reccomendation sheet had spark plugs on it, a coolant flush, and the transaxle seal is leaking according to them. They claim its a very very small leak and I can get it fixed later. I already had the plugs done at a Chevy dealer, so I will get the cooling system flushed and the transaxle seal replaced at my next oil change. I've followed the Chevy maintenance schedule religiously and had no problems. I'll even admit to a few accidental 0% life left oil change intervals. I try to do it at 15%.

I will keep everyone updated on the car. Does anyone think a powertrain warranty is a good buy for under 1000 on this car? WarrantyDirect has a warranty that would cover things like a transmission failure, or an engine failure, etc. It's not very in depth due to the miles though, which is why I'm passing on it for now.

I feel a little scared to keep this car, but I am going to just take care of it and hope it takes care of me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought it in 2006 with 1k miles for $23,340 - includes financing, taxes, a little negative equity from my old Malibu that I bought used, and the sale price of the car of which I cannot remember.

60 month loan at $389 a month. 14% interest due to the length of the loan and average credit. Current payoff is $10,900.

I need to keep this until the trade value evens out with the balance of my loan. So I figure in about a year and a half I'll be alright.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A power train warranty would be a waste of money. The power train on these cars can go much further than you have driven the car so far. Unless fluids are gushing out of a car leaks are nothing more than a nuisance due to cleanup issues. Lots of cars leak. That is what causes all of those black stripes on the freeways. No need to be afraid of the car breaking down and leaving you stranded the electrical problems you are having are not related to the power train and the parts come from different suppliers.

Now if you have new car fever and are trying to justify a new car that is another issue.

Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 05 LS V6 with just under 24k miles. So far I have no problems with it, I don't wanna jinx it, you guys scare me with all the bashing of the older Bu's. All cars will have their problems. Me personally, I refuse to do the negative equity. Good luck either way!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have an 05 LS V6 with just under 24k miles. So far I have no problems with it, I don't wanna jinx it, you guys scare me with all the bashing of the older Bu's. All cars will have their problems. Me personally, I refuse to do the negative equity. Good luck either way!

Don't take what a few have said about older model Malibu's to heart. Most of the problem is in how the care was taken care of and some have gotten one that a previous owner didn't do the upkeep on and so they end up with all the problems. Maintenance is the key to the longevity of a vehicle no matter what the brand or model, if you neglect it, expect it to breakdown and become costly. I've got a few members on MY SITE with Malibu's older than mine with well over 200,000 miles and still going! My 2000, I got with ony 23,000 miles on it in 2003 and it now has over 86,000 miles and it's kept up, besides the mods I've got planned to get more out of the little 3100.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This thread along with a similar story a co-worker a former Malibu owner told me are starting to make me wonder if I should pull the trigger on a new one. What makes anyone think the problems of the past are resolved?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.