Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Should I buy a 2009 Chevy Malibu with 70,000 miles. Also the car needs complete replacement of the Catalytic Converter. The guy is asking $3,000 for the vehicle. Is it a good deal or no good deal ??? Please help me decide.馃:confused::cool::cool::unsure:

Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
What engine?

What kind of maintenance has been done?

How does it shift, both when cold and once it has fully warmed up?

Which transmission, the 4-speed or 6-speed?

If it's the 6-speed transmission, was the 3-5-R Wave Plate service ever performed on it, or did it even qualify?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
What engine?

What kind of maintenance has been done?

How does it shift, both when cold and once it has fully warmed up?

Which transmission, the 4-speed or 6-speed?

If it's the 6-speed transmission, was the 3-5-R Wave Plate service ever performed on it, or did it even qualify?
Thank you but I'm not to car savvy so just a simple yes or no answer please will do thanks. Its an automatic transmission V6 ENGINE about the 3-5-R waveplate service performed I know that he passed the smog by doing a trick he said . And it has all the necessary maintenance done. Now Should i buy or not for $3,000 ?

Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
It's your decision. If anyone tells you to buy it and it breaks, you'll be back here reading us the riot act. If we tell you not to and you find out that someone else buys it and has a fantastic experience, you'll be back here reading us the riot act.

You say that you're not too car savvy, and yet "all the necessary maintenance [has been] done". How do you know that? You might, but you're not sharing. It has the V6 engine, but which one? In 2009 there were 2 sizes available, the 3.5L with the 4-speed transmission and the 3.6L with the 6-speed transmission.

"He passed the smog by doing a trick." Seems shady to me.

If you're not too car savvy, then get a friend or pay a trusted mechanic to inspect it and then decide. I asked a few clarifying questions and feel like I got the third degree with "simple yes or no". We're not here to make choices for others. We're here to discuss, support, share, and guide, but not to decide. Even if we were, I don't decide for others.

Registered
It doesn't sound very bad, but I tend to stay away from strange cars with borderline high mileage unless I am familiar with them and/or know the previous owner. The 7th gens are very good in terms of build quality (I used to own one), but their electronics can be quirky. Look at your budget and situation and then decide.

Registered
I would ask why the cat needs to be replaced and get a price on that replacement. Was there an engine problem that caused it to fail? I would have a mechanic check it before deciding to purchase. If the cat is plugged, you won't be able to get a good feel for the performance on a test drive. I also agree, doing a trick to get it to pass smog, that would definitely require, at a minimum, a mechanic to look at the car. For me, there are too many red flags based solely on what the seller is saying to blindly purchase without a professional going over the vehicle to explain what's wrong and how much it will cost to fix. That's just my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts