Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Malibu LTZ, 3.6l 6 cyl engine, automatic transmission, approx. 125000 miles. Remote keyless start is having trouble since replacing the alternator.

I didn't have reliable RKS for several years because of an engine trouble code that turned out to be related to a failing electrical connector. I got it fixed (quite cheaply) by a local mechanic and was very excited to be able to remotely start my car again! But not long after, my alternator started failing. I replaced the alternator myself without any problems. But ever since then, the remote start usually doesn't work.

In the past the lights would flash but the car wouldn't even try to start due to the trouble code. With the trouble code resolved, it started and ran great with the remote start. Now, since replacing the alternator, the car will remotely start and then die almost immediately. Every once in a blue moon it will remotely start and stay running. If it stays running for more than 3 seconds, it won't die. If I remote start it shortly after I've been driving it - like if I park at a store, get out, and then remote start it while I shop, or after briefly stopping to get gas - it will usually start and stay running. But if it has been sitting for more than a few minutes, it almost always starts, runs for a couple seconds, and then shuts off. Starting the usual way, turning the key in the ignition, has no issues.

There are no engine trouble codes, check engine light, or other indications that anything is wrong. I'm assuming that the problem is something to do with an amperage spike like this post from 4 years ago reported, but I don't know. I'm hoping someone here has an idea about something I can try, something I can reset, etc. I'm positive it's related to the alternator replacement, but apart from this, the alternator has been working great. So I don't really want to change it again if I don't have to. If it matters, I used a 150 amp Carquest Premium remanufactured alternator from Advance Auto (Part # 11250A).

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
The remote starting and then shutting off is a code being set triggering shut down. It needs a full scan of all 4 code families not just the P codes.
A weak battery can do the same thing. Just because it starts if battery voltage drops too low from the startup it can shut down with the remote start. Battery over 3 yrs. old is suspect, weak battery can start it on a key start.
Because it will remote start right after being driven for a while makes the battery a prime suspect as its low charge has been ''topped off'' by driving.
Battery needs to be load tested for sure.

Reactions: Drunken Elvis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is only about a year old. I should have mentioned that. And I suspect the battery is not the issue because remote start worked reliably just prior to replacing the alternator,and stopped working right afterward. It's worth keeping in mind for sure though. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Get the battery tested or at least on a charger so it's fully charged and see what happens. Even new ones can go bad.
Reman. alternators from big box parts stores or any Reman for that matter, are famous for not being reliable or long lasting. It could be intermittently charging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check the battery out and make sure that's not the issue. I also know that I could take it in and get codes read, but I don't know when I'm going to be able to do that, and I don't know how much a dealership would charge, but this isn't a problem that I want to spend a lot of money on. It's more of an annoyance, and I thought people here might have insight that would help me solve it.

Thing is, it's always the exact same thing. I remote start, and then about 2 seconds later it shuts off. Like clockwork. The timing of it is very predictable. I was wondering if it could be some sort of amperage spike from the new alternator or something. I got that idea from the previous thread that I linked to above. To recap, he said
we did hook it up to a scanner and learned that 2.5 seconds after remote start it spikes to 16 amps and kills it so we changed alternators again both times we used AC Delco ... I took it in for a recall recently and they reflashed the BCM and the remote start worked for the rest of that evening and then the next didn't work again
Sounds to me like this fellow never got the problem fixed, or in any case never returned to say what it ended up being. His issue sounds identical to mine, so it's a shame he didn't show back up.

I promise that if I figure this out, I'll post an update.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Thanks. I'll add a friend had that issue of the remote start then shut off. He forgot to tell me the engine light was on. That's how his '11 car behaved with the check engine light on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts