Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have issues with this? I have a 2009 Malibu and it slides just fine, but when it's completely closed it is hard to open. Perhaps I am doing something wrong and someone can enlighten me to the proper technique. From what I can tell, though, there is no latching mechanism that would require me to push anything down first, push it towards closing before pulling open or any other variation of opening a latched door. I just put my finger in the dpression and try to slide it towards the front of the car to open it. It is really hard to do and I usually have to try 4-5 times with a random rattling of the door to get it loose.

I am getting really annoyed with the sticky enter/reset steering wheel button I have anyway, so if I'm alone in this issue I can have the dealer take a look at the door at the same time, but I guess I need to know if it's something to even bother asking them to look at or if it's normal.

That said, it is really nice to have a car where I am worrying about such petty things, and planning on taking my car in for warranty service on such tiny issues. Better than the alternative of having mechanical headaches to deal with.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I thought you had to push down on the sliver handle to get it open...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought you had to push down on the sliver handle to get it open...

I'll have to try that. This could be yet another byproduct of my dealership not giving me the walk-around on my new vehicle.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
It's a little odd, but there's no "latch" and to release it you basically just press in/down lightly on the top indent/silver spot and it will let go and slide.

That's how you release it. Otherwise, if you just try to pull it down and slide without pushing on that top center spot first, it will resist and hold on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sliding cup holder? am I missing something in my car?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The sliding door between the center console and the shifter. It covers 2 cup holders, a change bin and a little storage bin.
Thanks, never knew there was a door covering that. I've never closed it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You reminded me of my Bu sale woman. She was surprised when seeing me to slide it out to cover the cups. Learn new thing every day, eh? :D

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Really? Wow...nice surprise then. Unexpectedly, everyone who gets in my car--it's always closed, as I can't stand an open cave if not necessary--comments on it. "What's that? REALLY? A cover just for cupholders?"

It's not a rare thing, really, but still a nice touch.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
And did you know you can easily remove the entire cup holder to create a massive storage cubby? ;)
Yes, also a nice touch. Lift out the little "wall" piece slid in behind the cupholder pod, ten detach that pod & lift out. Wa-la, big open box. I've never used it as such, but it does help in cleaning for occasional coffee dribbles and such in and around there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had the car for 3 weeks before I discovered the center armrest slid forward. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the car for 3 weeks before I discovered the center armrest slid forward. :)
It took me a week to figure out how to do that. I'd gently pushed it a few times and it didn't budge so I as sure my car didn't have that feature. Later I read that they all do, so I pushed harder and it moved. Seems to be a bit tough to do, but I guess that's better than it getting loose and noisy.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
It took me a week to figure out how to do that. I'd gently pushed it a few times and it didn't budge so I as sure my car didn't have that feature. Later I read that they all do, so I pushed harder and it moved. Seems to be a bit tough to do, but I guess that's better than it getting loose and noisy.
It really shouldn't be tough at all. Mine is pretty smooth and easy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It really shouldn't be tough at all. Mine is pretty smooth and easy.
How easy is yours to move? I ususally move it with two hands, but can do it with one if I get in the right position and push firmly. Should I be able to do it with the ease of the sliding door?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
How easy is yours to move? I ususally move it with two hands, but can do it with one if I get in the right position and push firmly. Should I be able to do it with the ease of the sliding door?
Pretty easy, no effort at all, just push down and slide.

The expendable center armrest, on the other hand, is pretty stiff, but I guess it should be not to slide under my elbow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The sliding door between the center console and the shifter. It covers 2 cup holders, a change bin and a little storage bin.
Is there any model that doesn't include cup holders? Mine is just an empty space. I have a 2010 1LT and it kind of looks like the cup holders were removed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2009 LS that i bought used and the cup holders were in the car!

LS is the base trim and the cup holders come with it, so i think someone remove them froom your car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.