Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I have a 2017 Malibu LT. Just started noticing when im reversing to back out or im pulling in or even driving at five or ten mph turning or straight i randomly head a VERY SUTLE not loud knock from the back wheel/trunk area

I checked the spare tire and everything else I have nothing loose in that trunk at all.

Its very light sounding but annoying best i can describe is a knock noise or something small went thump in the trunk. Its annoying and i have no ideas on this

Could be a strut? shocks? Any ideas would be great. Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,691 Posts
There have been reports of thumps or knocks in the rear end for some owners of all trims. The unfortunate reality is there have been a wide array of solutions and some never even get resolution. Here is one thread discussing a variety of thumps and knocks: Thump in rear end

You will find some had it fixed by replacing a left or right maybe both rear knuckles, some fixed by installing a washer above the shock (this is if the knock sounds like wood knocking), some sway bar links re-torqued. I had this noise and one day it just went away - coincidentally after a fuel tank replacement. Some have had shock replacement - worked. Some had shock replacement, did nothing. It's also possible there are multiple different thumps and knocks in play so obviously the solutions will be different.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about, Actually you can hear it going under 3mph on rough Asphalt for example... My car has been to the dealer for this many times....What it is is the Shocks actually popping in the upper shock mounts as they cannot be tightened enough to squeez it in there i think and/or the rear Knuckles,,,,There is A TSB that says to put in a washer in on ythe top of the shock shaft, but that does not fix it...I brought my car to the dealer litterally 5 min before my 3-yr bumper to bumper warrant expired just to fix this issue,,,,Its bee there for a week now and i wont take np for an answer,....I showed the Head Tech the issue, you can put your fingers on the top of the shock in the rear, and rock the car side to side, and feel the shock pop inside the upper mount as it is not "tight" enough in the mount so it "pops" up and down inside the mount....That has been my observstion, but they never can seem to fix the issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know exactly what you are talking about, Actually you can hear it going under 3mph on rough Asphalt for example... My car has been to the dealer for this many times....What it is is the Shocks actually popping in the upper shock mounts as they cannot be tightened enough to squeez it in there i think and/or the rear Knuckles,,,,There is A TSB that says to put in a washer in on ythe top of the shock shaft, but that does not fix it...I brought my car to the dealer litterally 5 min before my 3-yr bumper to bumper warrant expired just to fix this issue,,,,Its bee there for a week now and i wont take np for an answer,....I showed the Head Tech the issue, you can put your fingers on the top of the shock in the rear, and rock the car side to side, and feel the shock pop inside the upper mount as it is not "tight" enough in the mount so it "pops" up and down inside the mount....That has been my observstion, but they never can seem to fix the issue
how ironic man my car has been in the shop for a week too I showed them the TSB and I refused to be denied. They have a knuckle being ordered I haven't been without my car this long before and they better fix it! I told them to try the bolt between thing but I feel like it's not enough

·
Registered
154 Posts
how ironic man my car has been in the shop for a week too I showed them the TSB and I refused to be denied. They have a knuckle being ordered I haven't been without my car this long before and they better fix it! I told them to try the bolt between thing but I feel like it's not enough
Ya well they got the same Knuckle order for me too....I Dont know how the :"knuckles" are going to fix the problem, as i know the popping is coming from the upper shock mount,,,,The Knuckles are the part that holds the rear axle/hubs or is that part....Backordered as well...

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,691 Posts
They are probably trying the knuckle because there is a bulletin for it and it has fixed some that had a/the low speed pop/knock whatever. Some the washers fixed it, some they didn't - it's a tough one for techs because they cant ride upside down on the car to pinpoint the noise and all noises aren't from the same source. It's an educated guess. It's actually pretty nice of them to try different parts - thankfully they can point to the bulletin to justify. Hope it works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya well they got the same Knuckle order for me too....I Dont know how the :"knuckles" are going to fix the problem, as i know the popping is coming from the upper shock mount,,,,The Knuckles are the part that holds the rear axle/hubs or is that part....Backordered as well...

So I got an update for you.

So I know my dealer pretty well so he tried each piece individually and tried to mimic the noise

He replaced the knuckle noise was still there

Tried a new control arm as well...still there

Adjusted the shock mount still there

Did the washer method noise went away.

And hasn't came back he's test drove it a bunch of times today and just saved me a boatload of money he's sending the parts back but that's just me that doesn't mean that's a fix I'm just giving you an update. This is crazy

·
Registered
154 Posts
So after another 20 days at the dealer, they repalced both rear Knuckles and the noise finally went away....I had to gripe and moan so many times to get this fixed it was ridiculas.....Litterally brought my car to the Dealer 2 minutes before the 3 year warrant was s set to expire and they had it since Aug 11.... If the Techs would just follow the TSB's ccorrectly, i wouldnt have ever had thois issue, but they are dumb dumbs.... THe TSP spesificly says if adding the washers doesnt help, replace the Knuckles....The problem is thet piut the washers, becasue i told them to , and then they test drive, but dont know what to spcificlly listen for and they think problems are solved...but thety wernt....So i was relentless on getting it fixed, wich it is,..Except now for the fact , i get on the freeway when i picked it up and now have a vibration wich i think is from a wheel weight they somehow knocked off,,,, i called right away and have to take back for that now...

So my three year Total in warranty repairs....Right at $9000 !!! WHoo Hoo Lemon Law buyback here we go! What should a get next. a Caddi?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts