Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just on the Torque Report looking at some old postings and saw one on there about the "Smart Car". This car is probably smaller than a Mini Cooper and they are trying to get people in this country to buy it in masses. I looked up the MPG on this car and it surprised me: (from smart car website)

The vehicle is designed to achieve 40 city/45 highway mpg according to 2007 EPA standards and 33 city/41 highway mpg according to 2008 EPA standards. The mpg rating for all vehicles will decrease in 2008 due to new calculation methods that the EPA has adopted.

Now I don't know about you but for the "savings in fuel" I would rather buy something else like a civic and have a little more room to live.
What do you think? I tried to put a picture up for everyone but for some reason the site would not let me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I pretty much agree, especially since there are at least a couple of those cars that will come close to or equal the Smart's fuel economy numbers. Read Edmunds' reviews, long term blogs, and user feedback about real-world Smart experiences and all the tradeoffs you get to have to own such a 'cute' city car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Actually a month ago I saw a Smart Two in a parking lot at my local supermarket. It is painfully small, only two seats and very limited room in the back. I was fairly sure it was from New York and I said to myself, these must be brave people to take this deathtrap on the highway. What I failed to realize, and what others fail to realize is this vehicle wasn't designed for amazing fuel economy, but it was made for crowded European cities where parking is sparse and streets are tight. It's small for lack of space, not small for fuel economy. This vehicle should get much better fuel economy for it's size.

If people are looking for fuel economy they should consider a Ford Focus or Honda Civic, they are much more roomier than a Smart and get stellar fuel economy.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The smart ForTwo was never developed to be a fuel saver, but rather a small compact car that could easily fit into parking spaces in Europe. That's something that a lot of people don't know, and they're shocked to hear that it doesn't get amazing fuel economy. Personally, I think it's pretty ugly and too small for my tastes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've seen a couple of smarts around. One at the Sams club and my wife and I walked over to take a look and it was plastered with Obama 08 and Bush lied/sucks bumper stickers. Since the guy was standing there we just walked on by.

Not that there is anything wrong with Obama I just don't like to deal with Cool-Aid drikers form either side.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were you impressed with the car?? What was your initial take on it .. is it bigger in person than it appears in print?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Were you impressed with the car?? What was your initial take on it .. is it bigger in person than it appears in print?
I wouldn't pay 12k+ for one but if it stickered around 6-7k I would take a look. I didn't find it impressive at all.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nope...not impressive whatsoever. Quite overrated really. I don't have any desire for one at any price.
And even though the crash tests were good, I still don't trust that thing any farther than I can throw it.
As for the Obama stickers...well, if this is anything like GMI, I don't want to get banned...sooo...I'll restrain myself from ranting about that idiot.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've seen a couple of smarts around. One at the Sams club and my wife and I walked over to take a look and it was plastered with Obama 08 and Bush lied/sucks bumper stickers. Since the guy was standing there we just walked on by.

Not that there is anything wrong with Obama I just don't like to deal with Cool-Aid drikers form either side.
Based on the car this person was driving and his bumper sticker he must be a liberal. This car is such a waste of money, only a sucker would buy one. Cars like the Civic and Focus can get the same fuel economy, while offering so much more room.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I would not mind having an older model Civic just to get around in, but the prices seem to have gone sky high since the gas crunch.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Based on the car this person was driving and his bumper sticker he must be a liberal. This car is such a waste of money, only a sucker would buy one. Cars like the Civic and Focus can get the same fuel economy, while offering so much more room.
I agree but, if they sold new for 6-7k I would give up the room for it. IMO it would be a better alternative to buying a motorcycle and you could use it every day. As a daily driver I don't need much room but it would be a commuter car and nothing more. I definatly would not be using at a political statement just cheap transportation.

·
Registered
512 Posts
IMO, the ultimate commuter car is the 2010 Chevy Volt. 40 miles, no gas, just pure electricity. Enough to get the average commuter to work and back.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Current estimates for the Volt are $40k, but we're expecting federal tax rebates to bring it down to $33k or so. We aren't sure how much your electricity bill will go up, but it will be charged at an off-peak time, during the night. However, we're fairly sure that it will end up saving you money without having to pay for gas.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree but, if they sold new for 6-7k I would give up the room for it. IMO it would be a better alternative to buying a motorcycle and you could use it every day. As a daily driver I don't need much room but it would be a commuter car and nothing more. I definatly would not be using at a political statement just cheap transportation.
I can get a used car for the same price. Plus it will be safe, as fuel efficient, and roomier than a Smart.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Current estimates for the Volt are $40k, but we're expecting federal tax rebates to bring it down to $33k or so. We aren't sure how much your electricity bill will go up, but it will be charged at an off-peak time, during the night. However, we're fairly sure that it will end up saving you money without having to pay for gas.
You know how to make money back on a Volt? Just drive it until the wheels come off. If the Volt gets a $7k government rebate it will only cost $5k more than a fully loaded Malibu. However, this car will get superior fuel economy, and run 40 miles without fuel. Fuel prices are going up every day, the time it will take to make your money back on the Volt will be minimal at this rate.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.