Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Malibu. Has anyone experienced a manure smell coming from the heating and cooling system? How do I get rid of this smell? The dealer didn't solve the problem and does this fall under a warranty?

·
Registered
231 Posts
You may have dead mice in the area of your cabin filter/HVAC blower. Look in your owner's manual for instructions on how to change the cabin filter. You have to go in through the glove box to do it. When you pull the filter out, it should be obvious if you have a mouse problem. If so, you have to clean it all out, including reaching into the HVAC fan wheel for dead mice. It helps to have small hands for this job, so try to get your wife to help.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When our car was new with not even 10k miles on it .........We took a road trip, andI had pulled into the gas station, filled up with gas...and as soon as I got on the freeway I had this smell of sulfur, or carbon monoxide, or I thought the catalytic converter. The smell lasted about 30 seconds, the the engine light came on.

On star ran a check for me an said it was an emissions error. I made a service appointment but the light already went off before my appointment. Dealer found nothing wrong, problem can not be dulicated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes!!! Phone dead. But I will he checking in later. I dont think there is anything dead in my car. It's a problem when you first start the heat or ac.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,434 Posts
With a MIL on and strange smells, it may very well be something loose or cracked and definitely a service visit. If no lights on or other problem behavior I'd still suspect the cabin air filter. While those filters are great, they also trap things that stink such as particulate around farms or mold and pollen. I'd at least swap the filter for 15 bucks just to rule that out. If that isn't it perhaps mold and microbes in the evap case.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
I wasn't aware the new Malibu came with a cabin filter standard. A lot of times, the smell is just mildew growing from condensation trapped in the system. If the smell is really severe, though, it warrants further investigation. It's not healthy to breathe fumes from something rotting.

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT
63 Posts
I’m currently getting the horse manure smell, I just had it detailed thoroughly and still smell it. My Malibu maxx has no filter from what I understand.
What is this fix because I have a kid on the way real soon and this can’t be healthy.

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT
63 Posts
If you run your ac for a long time and don't have any water under the car, the drain is likely clogged. Not sure where it is on yours. Mine had that issue. Also... these work great.

A clogged ac. Line? Hmmm I was thinking change the evaporator because that seems to be the source of horse smell on the internet..
the product you posted seems nice but I don’t want my car to smell like chlorine when I have a baby on the way any day now. Plus shipping and the rona it’ll be 2 months before I get that delivered. But it is a lot cheaper... hmmm dilemmas..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine came much quicker than the expected date. Also if you find where it drains, you can use compressed air or even a few shots of simple green to clear the clog. My car only vaguely smelled like a swimming pool. When you air it out, the smell goes away. It wasn't that harsh to begin with. With a baby on the way, I'd do it. It kills bacteria and bugs too. A lot of dealerships use these as spider bombs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts