Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
really cool to find this forum, appreciate any advice

'08 ltz after first looking at subarus and wranglers for next car, figured tradeoff in few months of winter driving worth the risk for better mpg vs wrangler and general comfort vs subaru

had driven a friends base model and really felt like they did a solid effort w/ the platform, like there was a reason it beat the cadillac for CotY. found a 3.6 ltz at 75k miles real cheap, familiar w the motor and thus far no problems. this car just feels dependable, daily comfort but nods to its pony car heritage. last car was '10 impala and much prefer this

but first winter with it and where I'm at, upper Wisconsin, it can get hectic and there's days I'll be wanting to trade it in for a jeep

so what snow tires will make the most of it for the days where I'm not outright buried?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,676 Posts
I believe Blizzak is the go-to snow tire brand. Michelin also has the X-Ice tire (which is more expensive) and Continental has VikingContact. I agree that the Malibu is infinitely better to commute in than a Wrangler. Subarus are ok but not nearly as luxurious.

On a side note, the CTS won car of the year over the 2008 Malibu. Both are great cars regardless.

·
Ultra Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5
2,140 Posts
My 2016 LT all-season tire is the Michelin Premier A/S. For winter usage I have tried the X-Ice Xi3 and currently run Blizzak WS80. The Michelins were very quiet - after 500 miles and my first venture in snow, I was disappointed. They were better than the Premier but not by much. I had a 30 day return on them and exchanged them for the Blizzak WS80. Night and day. The Blizzaks are louder (I think that's a good thing) and grip a lot more - total confidence in snow and patchy ice. In two winters I haven't gone off the road once or run into someone. They have been in service for about 14,000 winter miles and still have about 3mm of the multicell left (top 60% of the tread) so projecting about 16-18k miles max as they won't offer top-level benefits below 5mm. I am usually a Michelin guy but one vote for the Blizzaks on this one.

On a side note, the CTS won car of the year over the 2008 Malibu. Both are great cars regardless.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/cadillac-cts-2008-coty-release/
Motortrend is a rag! The North American International Auto Show (pool of 60 media jurists including MT) gave it to the 2008 Malibu. The 2008 Malibu joins the 2019 Genesis G70, 2014 Corvette Stingray, 2013 CTS, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid... https://northamericancaroftheyear.org/

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,676 Posts
Motortrend is a rag! The North American International Auto Show (pool of 60 media jurists) gave it to the 2008 Malibu. The 2008 Malibu joins the 2019 Genesis G70, 2014 Corvette Stingray, 2013 CTS, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid... https://northamericancaroftheyear.org/
The NAIAS car of the year award is nothing but a vanity show. The cars aren't driven or tested in any way and the criteria is almost entirely subjective. When the phrase "Car of the Year" is used, it refers to Motor Trend.

·
Ultra Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5
2,140 Posts
I don't recognize rag fan surveys, only real awards given by pros! MotorTrend was just helping wipe some of the egg off the faces of those that overpaid for their CTS.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,676 Posts
I don't recognize rag fan surveys, only real awards given by pros! MotorTrend was just helping wipe some of the egg off the faces of those that overpaid for their CTS.
I don't understand the first part of your comment. Motor Trend CotY isn't a survey, a panel of their writers as well as several professional drivers put the cars through their paces and then judge them based on set criteria like design, performance, engineering, and intended purpose.

It's much more comprehensive than NAIAS, where cars are judged by appearance and paper specs. Imagine voting on car of the year without driving the competitors, that's NAIAS.

·
Ultra Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5
2,140 Posts
CP, you're not supposed to get so invested. I was trying to take a sarcastic tone (see excessive exclamation points) but apparently failed. I don't really think MT is a rag. The OP just made the car of the year reference, you had different info, I just chimed in verifying at least one entity did call it CotY. Heck you can google "2008 Malibu Car of the Year" or just "car of the year" and it is the first result. Motor Trend is there too, just down the page. It's ok, it'll be ok!

·
Registered
114 Posts
We all have our recommended brands of snows we like, personally I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nokian Hakkapolitas if you can find a decent price on them. But let me tell you this. Anything is better in terms of snow tires than running summer or all seasons. My Eagle LSs got me through the winter one time, don't know if they will a second.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I ran Hankook studded on old '09 . Grip was Ok but FWD isn't my choice to drive in snow when I have AWD and 4x4 options. I'm trying a set of Altimax 12 studded on my '15 'bu this winter to commute to my snowmobile as 30+ mpg is better than the 17 my Tahoe gets providing it's not a raging snowstorm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
really cool to find this forum, appreciate any advice

'08 ltz after first looking at subarus and wranglers for next car, figured tradeoff in few months of winter driving worth the risk for better mpg vs wrangler and general comfort vs subaru

had driven a friends base model and really felt like they did a solid effort w/ the platform, like there was a reason it beat the cadillac for CotY. found a 3.6 ltz at 75k miles real cheap, familiar w the motor and thus far no problems. this car just feels dependable, daily comfort but nods to its pony car heritage. last car was '10 impala and much prefer this

but first winter with it and where I'm at, upper Wisconsin, it can get hectic and there's days I'll be wanting to trade it in for a jeep

so what snow tires will make the most of it for the days where I'm not outright buried?
Most winter tires with reputable reviews are going to perform about the same. I had continental winter contact tires and loved them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can, but it will be like ice skating. Just because your front wheels are the drive wheels and dictate where you turn, going into that turn the back end won't grip as much as the front and you will be squeezing buttcheeks. I'd find a deal on craigs to get them all...

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,676 Posts
Can I put snow tires just on the front and leave all season on back?
Thanks
No, that's a dangerous idea. You're talking about having significantly less snow traction under the rear of the vehicle which would be incredibly unpredictable. It's not all about the powered wheels having traction to move the car, you still have to grip through turns and come to a stop.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,434 Posts
It's NOT recommended.

If the tires with the better traction are on the front, it can more easily become a skid in a curve.

The best tread should be on the REAR axle, even if it's FWD and the rear has snow tires and the front has A/S. Source: click here.

The best solution is 4 snow tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Any recommendations on all seasons that are great in winter? Bought a 2011 Malibu for our son and dealer had put new tires on it. Well the tires are great dry, wet but snow they are terrible. So want to find some good ones. Originally thought snow but then you have the added fee every spring and fall of remounting.
Thanks

·
Ultra Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5
2,140 Posts
IMO and experience, no all season can compare with a good winter/snow tire. All season are about balance. All season in snow can be ok but a snow tire will put it to shame. I wasn't really into snow tires for a long time and experienced tons of different all seasons. They can work - most get away with it. But the difference in safety of a designed for snow tire in a snowy climate is unmatched.

Some good grand touring all seasons for snow - Michelin CrossClimate+ has been getting some decent buzz. Goodyear has a newer Assurance WeatherReady. I've been through the Michelin Premier A/S and it does ok but it isn't great in snow; It is a great balance of a tire and I love them but I'd put the snow performance at just below ok.

Visit TireRack. They have decent testing and include wet, dry, snow, etc and comparisons, ranking everything. You get expert and consumer reviews. Check out these here for all season ideas (the only tire I don't like there is the Pirelli... didn't have a good experience): https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=231

·
Registered
15 Posts
In Wisconsin. How do I figure what size 16inch equals same diameter as the 215/55 /r17 of the stock malibu?
What about Tpm system ?

·
Ultra Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5
2,140 Posts
www.tiresize.com is pretty good for tire adjustments.

Some good matches as close as -0.4 to +0.8% Below is the chart you'll get... Double-check as I am tired.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,434 Posts
+1 on getting a set of steel wheels for the snow tires. No mount/dismount fees each year and you can swap them out any time you choose.

You may also want to get an appropriate tool to relearn the TPMS. The one I bought a few years ago was about $60, but it looks like they've come down in price quite a bit. Here are some choices for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts